The Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby, the 'chop' guitar solo is... David Marks!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick Bartlett, Mar 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Carl rarely tracked a solo in 1964.....Glen Campbell was literally the Beach Boys' guitarist for Brian. Yes, Carol Kaye played on Motown tracks in '64 with Hal Blaine. Shipped back to Detroit. Hal Blaine told me this numerous times. Marks' memory gets fuzzy. The owning of the building he bought is quite funny.....I googled it...it looks like a dumpy apartment complex and very small

2. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Does this mean that David Marks also played on “Mr Tambourine Man” by The Byrds, or was it actually a member of The Wrecking Crew playing on both tracks?

3. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

The weird thing is how some people seem to WANT it to be wrecking crew cats playing on Beach Boys stuff.

4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

The way David speaks about it, he says he was brought in by Brian to finish up the track that was already recorded.
    While he was not in The Beach Boys anymore, he still did 'some things' that ended up on 'Shut Down Vol.2'.

5. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

When I listen to “Mr Tambourine Man”, there’s that same guitar behind the verses. Hence my question.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  6. Odradek

Odradek Forum Resident

The Carol Kaye thing, as far as Motown sessions go, has been resolved by Brian F. Wright, based on a detailed study of the original session contracts of the American Federation of Musicians. (Local 47 of which, the Los Angeles chapter, both has its paperwork fully preserved and organized and is willing to help with research, unlike, say, its counterpart in New York City.) Wright published his findings two years ago in a scholarly article in the Journal of the Society for American Music, which I guess is a bit under the radar for most people here. It's not paywalled and can be read here:

Reconstructing the History of Motown Session Musicians: The Carol Kaye/James Jamerson Controversy | Journal of the Society for American Music | Cambridge Core

To summarize briefly: most, but not all, of the big iconic Motown hit singles that Kaye has claimed credit for have someone else on bass, but she is in some cases on album versions of the same songs, or versions of them that completely different Motown artists recorded. She was on a whole lot of Motown sessions in LA, but there's only a very imperfect fit between which sessions she has claimed they were and which sessions they really were.

7. erikdavid5000

Gotcha!
    Very interesting!
    Gonna listen to both!

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

9. Robbie California

Robbie California Forum Resident

It looks like David and Carl both fake the solo (for the TV audience). Great video!

10. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Im not sure Kaye played on more songs than David Marks. She played on about two dozen. He did that on the first two albums alone. She played on a lot, but by no means all, of songs recorded in 1965-1966.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I like David Marks. But you can’t judge contributions just by number of songs. Carol Kaye was the primary bassist on Pet Sounds and side 2 of Today, right? That’s the most important and influential music of their career.

12. Odradek

Odradek Forum Resident

I understood that the reference was to the number of songs Carol Kaye played on over her entire career. And not just for the Beach Boys.

MikeM, Tord, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

You’d have thought BW would have got in the wrecking crew.

lou likes this.
  14. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

That "chop" pattern was influential. I've heard it on a few '60s singles that followed. This is the main one I remember: The Breakers' "All My Nights, All My Days."

sotosound, Rick Bartlett and geo50000 like this.
  15. erikdavid5000

Why? Brian used his own bandmates more often than the WC.

16. alexpop

Pet Sounds.

17. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

David Marks is a footnote to me. I've never gotten the fascination. I'm pretty sure if he'd never been in the band the records would have been just as great. I feel like in the never ending attempt to dig up new info on a story that's been told over and over, his importance has been overstated. He was on some good records but to me their peak was 1964 and he was gone by then.

The Beach Boys will always be Brian, Mike, Carl, Al and Dennis to most people and in my opinion, that's as it should be.

18. alexpop

Thee olde rewrite.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Spazaru likes this.
  19. erikdavid5000

That’s one album out of many. And Pet Sounds isn’t 100% “wrecking crew” either.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  20. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

So who was the cough?

21. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Whatever Motown sessions she played, may've been in the 1964-65 period when they cut some sides in L.A., before they began pulling stakes there.

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’m sure that’s right.

23. erikdavid5000

MUST have been either Carol Kaye or Hal Blaine.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  24. alexpop

David Marks looks cool on the early album covers, but that’s about it. Keep quite, keep your head down. Ronnie Wood still doesn’t fit in with the Stones, but I love his .. humble.

Spazaru likes this.
  25. erikdavid5000

I’m pretty sure if you or I were playing guitar on those albums, we’d think that part was pretty cool as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.