The Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby, the 'chop' guitar solo is... David Marks!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick Bartlett, Mar 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I'd believe it might've been a case of Mr. Marks doing "tracking" after the basic sessions . . .

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Poor Ronnie. I was in middle school when he joined so all of my friends have only known the Stones with Ronnie. To them, he is as much a Stone as Mick and Keith.

Are you a Brian Jones guy or a Mick Taylor guy? Because a lot of Brian Jones fans think that Taylor never fit either.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Fair enough David.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  4. Odradek

Odradek Forum Resident

Mostly, but there continued to be a few sessions with her every year through the '60s, with a final isolated one as late as 1971. See my post above.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Jones had talent
    Taylor could play Chuck Berry / Carlos Santana
    Wood made better sense with The Faces /Jeff Beck.

Spazaru likes this.
  6. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Keep in mind, I’m also a cheaper session guitarist than Glen Campbell.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  7. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

maybe but that has nothing to do with what I wrote or quoted.

8. Lance LaSalle

Why do people have so much trouble grasping the truly complex narrative that The Beach Boys represent?. Simplifying it does it injustice.

David played on at least 6 big hits, he had a recognizable style, he was part of the band and played on dozens of songs.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Oh OK. I haven’t actually read the posts that preceded yours. I thought you were equating quantity with quality of contributions. I apologize.

10. Lance LaSalle

I think that Carol Kaye “influence@ is a tiny bit overrated. Not that she is not a great player but she was often one of two sometimes three bass players on a record, all of them playing parts that Brian wrote. Yet people act like she was then only bassist they ever used. I don’t get why Ray Pohlman isn’t mentioned even a tenth as much as she is.

11. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Same with Dennis Wilson, Jim Gordon, Ritchie Frost, and a few others who drummed on the classic stuff.

Fox67, Lonesurf and Lance LaSalle like this.
  12. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

you should hear my Bruce Johnston sucks rant LOL

13. Lance LaSalle

:edthumbs:
    Haha.

Rick Bartlett and Spazaru like this.
  14. Lance LaSalle

Yes.

15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love Brian's playing, although he has never claimed to be one as much.
    While only 'assuming', I guess he never really wanted so much to be a musician, rather a producer/arranger.
    His could rock a bass or a piano pretty hard in his day.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

never thought that was a big deal in the song...but the info is interesting. : )

17. Michael

and his voice is amazingly unique...no hiding his voice...such a distinctive sound...my wife loves his voice.

supermd and Rick Bartlett like this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hehe, like I said, probably only interesting to me and about 1 and a half others out there....
    We got 3 pages out of it...
    :biglaugh:

erikdavid5000 and Michael like this.
  19. Michael

the fact that it could have been David in the beginning of the thread was VERY interesting!

20. Michael

lets hear it! ; )

Spazaru and Rick Bartlett like this.
  21. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Cuz she’s a woman?

22. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Sounds similar to drummer Bernard "Pretty" Purdie on the East Coast. I'm surprised he didn't claim (that I know of) to play on some Beach Boys' tracks . . .

Fox67, Lance LaSalle and Odradek like this.
  23. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Just an FYI for anyone who is really interested in David Marks: There was a book about him published in 2007, "The Lost Beach Boy."

It was written by Jon Stebbins, who knows as lot about the group and also penned the books "The Beach Boys FAQ" and "Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy." From what I remember, the David Marks book was a very interesting read, with lots of anecdotes about his teenage friendship with fellow teen guitarist Carl Wilson, who lived across the street.

The bad news is that it looks like "The Lost Beach Boy" is out of print and now going for high prices on Amazon and eBay. Oh well.

[​IMG]

24. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I wasn't speaking of Beach Boys songs Kaye played on, but rather the number of songs by anyone she played on in her entire career.

I was responding to someone who said (of Marks) that memories can become muddled over the years — one of the reasons being multiple sessions can be confused or conflated. My point was that Marks doesn't have near the number of (total) sessions to be confused about as Kaye does.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

It's not like The Wrecking Crew had a patent on playing guitar chops on the two and four of a song. It's a very common technique actually. And it should be noted that the chops on "Mr. Tambourine Man" have quite a different tonal quality than those on "Don't Worry Baby."

Packblower likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.