The Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby, the 'chop' guitar solo is... David Marks!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick Bartlett, Mar 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Like New Edition said, “and Johnny (Stamos) too.” :hide:

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Maybe.

I think it's more because she is a narcissistic publicity hog who claims to have played on every single song by anybody in the sixties even when it's proven that she didn't play on this song or that song. That's fantastically negative, I know; but she really gets my goat.

To be honest, her actual contributions, on bass and guitar, (everybody forgets that the majority of her non-Beach Boys sessions were as a guitarist) are impressive enough; it disgusts me that she feels she has to embellish them.

I'm not detracting from her playing, to be clear, she had a good sound and Brian loved her as a person back then and that means something. She was also one of many who helped Brian bring out the best in himself and that counts for something. STill.

Odradek and oldsurferdude like this.
  3. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Ah, I see. Well, I agree. It is possible that he misremembers. I am only 50 and I misremember things from my youth now and again; it's a strange phenomenon.

I have a feeling that the guitar part is doubled and was recorded by both Carl and David : Carl in the initial session -- David's uncredited on the overdub session when Brian recorded the lead vocal (Brian didn't play with the band that night, they were elsewhere, so I suspect that David was in LA and easily and quickly available.)

4. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

David was still hanging out with the band and still lived across the street from the Wilson household at the time. It makes sense that he could have been involved.

Plus he’s previously offered some very vivid recollections of sessions so I think there’s nothing wrong with his memory.

And if you’re dismissing Bruce and David as not real Beach Boys, you’ve clearly not been paying attention.

5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I’m going to stick to the woman thing - in a predominantly mens field it’s almost a novelty -
    She’s talented yes. I also think she just happens to be one of the wrecking crew core players like Hal, Tommy, Louis, Leon, But she sticks out too because she’s the only woman. She owes here current popularity to Brian Wilson because it seems she’s most associated with him and Pet Sounds in particular

Rick Bartlett and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

Hello. David Marks is the guest on my podcast Sending Signals this week and I ask him to clarify the “Don’t Worry Baby” story if you’re interested!

sendingsignals.simplecast.com

Apple podcasts: ‎Sending Signals on Apple Podcasts

7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Thanks for posting that...David Marks impressed me here as a real down-to-earth guy and what he says in the interview lends credence to the assertion it's him on the Don't Worry Baby chop solo part IMO. It kind of makes sense -- the track was done, it needed something, what BW wanted was simple -- not something you'd need to hire a session guitarist for -- he got DM to 'drop' it in (there's speculation that BW bypassed CW because the lead wasn't really a "lead" and not CW's style, though it could just be it was quick/convenient to get DM to do it)...The thing is, it really is perfect for the song, as is the sort of sped up/re-jigged reprise it gets in When I Grow Up (To Be A Man).

Relevant comment I read on another board:

"I can imagine any guitar player being disappointed by being given that lead, but seriously - very few guitar breaks tug at the heartstrings more than that one. Imagine what it would have been like with a "proper" solo - would have totally blown the vibe. Sometimes less really is more."

8. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

No you gotta count David too- he was just as much a member as the rest

apple-richard and erikdavid5000 like this.
  9. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Only seven people in the world can call themselves actual Beach Boys, and David is one of them. End of story.

10. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Seven living, right?

11. erikdavid5000

Brian, Dennis, Carl, Mike, Al, Bruce, and David.

Dennis and Carl have passed on.

Drifter, supermd and jwb1231970 like this.
  12. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

No Flames?

Rick Bartlett and rockerreds like this.
  13. erikdavid5000

Sure, but it’s arguable. But they were officially in the band and contributed to the writing, so yeah!

rockerreds and Hall Cat like this.
  14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

15. erikdavid5000

Charles Lloyd on cowbell might arguably be the 10th Beach Boy ;p

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Then Jeff Foskett should be the 11th Beach Boy.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  17. erikdavid5000

I agree. He’s played for the actual Beach Boys and both subsequent camps for decades and his voice is all over their last album.

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have mixed feelings about these questions. Most of the time when discussion groups like The Beach Boys (iconic groups from decades past) normally it's the founding members who are considering the 'real' group.

Of course there is no consistency in any of this or a clearly articulated idea of how to approach it. Mick Taylor and Ron Wood are considered Stones, though not part of the original group, while Kenny Jones not thought of AFAIK as a member of The Who, despite being pictured on the album covers for Face Dances and It's Hard as a clear 1/4 of four-member band.

I think with The Beach Boys' Bruce Johnston is kind of hard sell, too (unfairly), not because he wasn't a vital part of the group and the sound starting with Summer Days (and Summer Nights!), but rather because the image of the three Wilsons, Jardine and Love somehow or another got cemented into people's brains early on with the album covers and TV and movie appearances.

With David Marks, it's an odd situation, too, because although he's right there on the earliest album covers, on those early records it doesn't seem like there was much focus on who's who. Who would have noticed the young guy looking up at Dennis Wilson on the back cover photo of the band on Little Deuce Coupe got switched out on the next LP?

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  19. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

That's because Terry Melcher deliberately arranged "Mr Tambourine Man" to resemble "Don't Worry Baby" as closely as possible.

20. erikdavid5000

My mom noticed! David was her Beach Boys crush until Al suddenly appeared on the cover of Shut Down Vol 2. Then she defected over to Dennis lol

21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

We could do this all day..
    Ed Carter?
    Billy Hinsche?
    Mike Kowalski?

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The same "chop" pattern can also be heard on The Byrds' version of "Mr. Tambourine Man". I remember watching some documentary where the narrator claimed it was the Wrecking Crew on BOTH "Don't Worry Baby" and "Mr. Tambourine Man", and then proceeded to play a section of them back to back and said something like "See, you can tell it's the same backing musicians - same playing style", as if that was the only style the Wrecking Crew ever used. :rolleyes:

23. erikdavid5000

Or as if you had to be a master “Wrecking Crew” musician in order to play 3 chords lol .

Drifter, Hall Cat and Lance LaSalle like this.
  24. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

The back pages of Made In California spell it out explicitly, twice.

[​IMG]

Everyone else gets their name in the small print.

Hall Cat, MikeM, sharedon and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.