' Godzilla Versus Kong '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 28, 2021.

1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

2. A couple but the issue was that none of the tone made it in. Playing it straight was a big mistake. My tone went for a touch of camp but a lot of satire. That completely disappeared. I did get paid for it (about $5000 at the time as I recall) but gave up any rights to story, etc. I could have gone to the Writer’s Guild for arbitration but the chances were pretty remote and, frank;y, I had given up all rights to,the material by signing my contract to be paid. Dino’s production company wasn’t always the most ethical company as well.

I did register my script with the WGA in case mine was used but there are other complications around proving authorship and, frankly, in a way I’m glad it turned out the way it did. It’s the only script I wrote in 10 years that got to a production stage I was involved in (I did have a script that was optioned for the 80’s Twilight Zone but it was cancelled before it ever reached production stage and Imdid write a pilot for a Three’s Company styled comedy called “The Marina” (about the sexual escapades of residents in Marin Del Rey) that was written, pitched and optioned but, again, didn’t get to production.

‘Frankly, when I did finally the film, I was kind of glad that my name wasn’t anywhere in the credits. I found out later from a contact still there that the film went through about ten screenwriters before Dino’s production people were happy with the script. None of them got any credit despite the fact that actual dialog was in the finished version. To lobby for credit you have to be able to prove at least 50-60% of the material you wrote ended up in the finished versi0n at that time.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Camp and satire would have helped "King Kong Lives" a lot. There was a lot of wasted potential with what we ended up with. Oh well, what do I expect from people who removed the dinosaurs from the Kong story?

wayneklein likes this.
  4. I agree. That’s why I went in that directi0n because it also helped cover up the deficits of Dino’s “K0ng”. Mine also had some dinosaurs in it which they were brought to America as part of the ‘show’ of a revived Kong (he got a heart surgery and transfusion from a female ape they discovered when they tried to find other creatures to exploit the island in my version). While he did ‘die’ they used experimental drug to preserve brain and tissue function as they tried to bring him back bexause he was a ‘corporate asset’. The dinosaurs were cut for two reasons 1) cost to create convincing creatures which was too expensive and 2) it detracted from what they felt was a Kong ‘love story’ of sorts.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    The Hud likes this.
  5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

That sounds pretty cool!

6. I thought so and it was fun with that element of satire. Clearly they disagreed. I still have a copy of my version somewhere.

The Hud likes this.
  7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

When you're 5 years old, these kind of movies are breathtakingly wonderful. I remember seeing commercials for Jack The Giant Killer in 1962, wanted to see it so bad. No adult would take me.

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

' Jack The Giant Killer ' was one of the first movies I saw on the big screen. I was so excited to see it and it didn't disappoint....except for the mushy icky kissing \ romance stuff.
    You know how that is when you're six years old.

MartyTem and dead of night like this.
  9. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

This was actually made into a live action film by Toho in the late 60's:

10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I saw it as a kid in the theater and then later on a double with Psycho of all things. I got the DVD. A cheesy favorite.

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Getting good reviews, apparently they threw out the dust filter and dark rainy night battles. Might go if I can ascertain a nearby theater has merv 13 filtration

12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I just realized it's been 9 years since I set foot in a movie theater. This one could conceivably break that streak but I've got HBOMAX so nope.

13. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

Love King Kong Vs. Godzilla and King Kong Escapes. People knock the suit of Kong 1962 but I always liked it. In Escapes Kong looks seriously stoned, I guess Rankin Bass was trying to get Kong in sync with the psychedlic 60's party scene. :D

I always wanted Godzilla to rise up from that ocean at the end vs. Kong.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  15. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

There's some theater screen shot clips that have been showing up on YouTube (it's screening in theaters now overseas) and the big battle at the end of the movie looks very cheap and video game-ish.

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I actually saw the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla in the early 60s when a local Japanese theater (Toho) in downtown Honolulu screened it. I was around 9 years old, couldn't understand a word but it didn't matter when KK & G were on screen in living color!

Shawn and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

so you think the reviews might be sort of hyped up?

JediJones likes this.
  18. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

the Hulk would get smashed if he got thrown into that mix.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  19. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Looking forward to this tomorrow. Here's hoping there is minimal human involvement and maximum Kaiju mayhem in the film.

20. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Which was ridiculous. Godzilla should have continuously blasted Kong with his fire breath, roasting the big ape alive. At minimum burnt off all his hair.

JediJones and Rocker like this.
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

22. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Is Don King promoting this one???

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

first reviews were very enthusiastic, the next round not so much.....

24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'll probably see this film eventually.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

OPENS TOMORROW IN LA!!! (I probably won't see it. lol).