Your Vinyl Transfer Workflow (sharing best needledrop practices)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vocalpoint, May 11, 2011.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I've matched up my Earth, Wind & Fire LPs to the first remasters, as they are almost identical.

2. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Sterling work. Unbelievable.

I've actually got this working in real time in VSTHost. Obviously will need some tweaks to do it seriously but hell, it makes my beat up Dead album's shine.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  3. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Using this over the entire file is not a good idea IMHO. It may work for some music but anything with a lot of percussion drum ticks will be significantly reduced or removed. I missed this when I read it before. Test it yourself. At level 1.0 will reduce these transients.

You can use my most recent Beck sample there are ticks about 3 seconds apart on most of the sample level 5.0 removes them completely.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  4. From experience I know this is definitely not a good idea unless you are completely sure there's absolutely nothing in the recording that has percussive attacks. Bass drum and snare drum rim clicks will suffer for sure. Even low brass instruments in their low register (tuba or trombone) will be affected. Same for sawtooth wave synth sounds.

BrilliantBob and ghost rider like this.
  5. ghost rider

I only declick manually. I won't use RX at any setting over the entire file. Clickrepair is the only program I use on the entire file and never above level 5

6. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

wow a lot of sonic manipulation going on for most people. I'm a little surprised!
    I do tt->preamp->DSD stereo recorder.
    Each side of an album gets recorded into its own project then I transfer the project to my mac and split and tag the tracks, format is DSD128. The end :)

7. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Good point. But with 118 db of dynamic range it is not needed. Funny, engineers did compression on transient peaks for The Beatle remasters and most on this forum had a fit over it.

8. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

You are my hero! And if I get murdered, (probably by my room mate) you can have any job at the stuido.

elvisizer and BrilliantBob like this.
  9. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

LoooL, all faders at max and the CD is ready to deliver! :righton:

elvisizer likes this.
  10. Grant

I test for that, and I don't hear it.

Rob6899 likes this.
  11. ghost rider

The end result is a better sonic presentation. Clicks, pops and grunge don't sound good, to me.

Grant, BrilliantBob and Stefan like this.
  12. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

I wasn’t judging, @ghost rider, just different priorities.
    For me the point of a needle drop is to preserve the experience of listening to a particular piece of vinyl on my system. So I don’t want to remove anything- if I was worried about clicks, pops and grunge I wouldn’t be doing needledrops in the first place.
    That’s why I said it was a bit surprising! I assumed the motivation for most people was the same as mine and clearly that’s not true!

13. ghost rider

I guess there different groups of people. Most of the people posting here and my opinion is I want to keep every bit of music and none of the vinyl side effects caused by dragging the needle through the groove. I'm convinced we are doing that successfully. The way I declick I know I am not harming the music in anyway. I spend hours working on a record. I scrutinize every click. Denoising you have to be careful. Listen to one of my samples above and please let me know if you hear any negative sonic results from the processing.

I have both the samples before and after denoise posted.

elvisizer likes this.
  14. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

it's fine- even if it sounds perfect it still wouldn't be what I want, different end goals!

BrettyD, arisinwind and ghost rider like this.
  15. Grant

The #1 motivation for me is to digitally capture and restore recordings I can't get in digital form. There's still a ton of stuff that only exists on vinyl (or tape). I am not satisfied just playing a record as is. I don't want the clicks, pops, or surface noise. That's not part of the experience for me. I felt that way as far back as the 60s as a little kid.

16. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

@Grant like I said, different goals! nothing wrong with what you're doing at all.

Grant, BrettyD and arisinwind like this.
  17. Grant

I know!:)

I do wonder why you would assume that everyone had the same goal as you, though.

john morris likes this.
  18. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

I want to remove all inherent vinyl defects such as clicks, rumble and groove noise, but not "enhance" it to some subjective taste but leave it as the recordists intended.

Casey737, john morris, Grant and 3 others like this.
  19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just a heads up to any Windows 10 users, if you haven't yet upgraded to the latest version (20H2), I'd recommend holding off. I did for both PCs on which I do audio work and on both, it caused some annoying audio glitches, stutters, etc. that also were recorded into attempted needledrops. From what I've read online this seems to be a problem for quite a few users. If you have upgraded and it's less than 10 days ago, you can go back to the previous version. I was unable to do this but I had an install USB stick with version 2004, which works fine, and I was able to roll back without having to do a clean install. Hopefully, they'll fix this for the next version.

20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just a quick RX tip I've been meaning to mention in case it might help someone who hasn't noticed this before.

One feature I've always loved about RX is the ability to select multiple individual sections of a file and apply processing to them.

For example, I just did a drop of Blue Oyster Cult's Agents of Fortune album. I have it in M/S mode right now and as I've mentioned before, this really helps to easily locate/identify big clicks that are sometimes otherwise buried in a regular Left/Right view.

Here are three clicks I've found in the Side channel (although they're almost always audible in both channels). I select these then choose the Vinyl Declick preset Grant's mentioned. When I press the spacebar to play back, the cursor starts at the first one and plays through to the third and final selection. In this case, the first and third clicks are completely gone, but now there's a low-pitched thump in place of the second one. So in that case, I zoomed in on the second selection, switched to spectral view and adjusted the FFT value in spectral view to find the best resolution for the thump, then selected it and used interpolation to get rid of it completely.
    [​IMG]

This might sound rather involved, but I have keyboard shortcuts set up for these presets, so it was all processed in a matter of seconds.

21. Grant

Too late!:laugh: I upgraded to 20H2 last year, and all is well. No glitches at all!:cool: Maybe it's because I use SSD?

The problem with these types complaints is that affected users are a tiny fraction of all users, usually with some custom configuration or software. And the problem isn't even Windows' fault. But, they are the ones who yell the loudest.

22. ghost rider

Not a problem for me, my DAW computer is never connected and I have not updated it for years. I hate windows updates.

arisinwind likes this.
  23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It's a problem for some of us with external USB interfaces. Mine are both Steinberg (made by Yamaha). I've also seen folks with Focusrite and MOTU interfaces with the same problem. As for the SSD, I use one too.

24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yeah, I've been traditionally not that concerned with Windows updates but with this new experience and after reading some of the other issues folks have been having, I think I'm going to start blocking them. I know there are a lot of folks on audio forums, etc., who still run Windows 7 as it was the last version to be rock solid for audio (according to them. Other than not having drivers for my old E-MU card, I never had any problems with Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 until now.

25. Grant

People are having USB issues with Ryzen motherboards:

AMD Suggests Possible Fixes for Ryzen USB Connectivity Issues | Tom's Hardware ..

Do by any chance use the Ryzen CPUs/motherboards listen in the article?

But, everyone likes to blame Microsoft.