The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I use the Michell clamp on a 1200GR. It works well. I know there’s been some discussion about spindle length and various clamps. But I can verify the standard Michell works on the GR.

MikeJedi likes this.
  2. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Okay... ..I don't believe Technics actually designed and manufactured the cables. ..But I do believe they specified what was required. ..And I believe any engineering team that is cable of designing these remarkable tables is probably more than capable of selecting an appropriate cable for it.

Unfortunately, the cable myth is here to stay. Manufacturers have little choice but to let it persist b/c retailers need the revenue that comes from accessory sales. Interconnects, speaker cables, etc.. ..Are high margin items that help retailers keep their lights on. ..I totally understand it and try not to sound off about it when I'm in such a store. ..There, I keep such opinions to myself... but not here. That is forums such as these are for :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  3. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yeah I would think with a 1699.00 TT the cables are not just mere afterthoughts ! Agreed ! Well I’m going to go with what they supplied for now. Thanks everyone for your insight ;)

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Do you happen to know the model number on that one ? I appreciate it !! Thank you :)

5. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

I know nothing of the provenance of the stock cables that come with the deck, but I've swapped mine out with both Audioquest and QED alternatives (nothing fancy, just midrange stuff) and gone back to the stock cable both times. Not because it was any better; it was just no worse and I had other jobs for the replacements to get on with. Honestly couldn't hear a single difference. Fully acknowledge that YMMV.

Pali Gap, keiron99, ODS123 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

well, yes, but it's better to always left some space for the possibility that we're wrong.

i don't believe in fancy cables, but i also don't believe that in every situation and for everyone you would not here improvements with cables ever.

the same happens with electronics, many people think that a decent engineered amplifier working inside their parameters will be indistinguishable from a dartzel. And many blind tests seems to prove that ... but measurements shows differences.

so, i prefer to be open minded. An audi a8 it's a better car than a 73' beetle, yes, but if you put them to run in a 1km outdoor lame rally ... maybe not. The older i get the more open minded i become.

MikeJedi likes this.
  7. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

So you believe that cable quality is myth yet you also think that Technics specifically specified the requirements, essentially saying that the type of cable does matter with regard to sound. Isn’t that a Catch 22?

Look, I have no problem if you like the stock cables. But I honestly believe that the cables were a complete afterthought in Technics’ eyes and were, as I mentioned, thrown in just so someone can use the table right out the box. They could also use those cables forever and be totally satisfied. Also, absolutely fine.

But I guarantee Technics didn’t specify requirements, research or design the cables in any way. That doesn’t take anything away from the team that designed the tables. The tables are great regardless of the cables used. But the cables were mostly decided on by Technics’ finance department and not the engineers.

Big Blue likes this.
  8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Within a month I switched the IC's to Audioquest and, as much as I wanted to, really heard very little, if any, difference.

I haven't reported the following for fear of being ridiculed/shunned/banished.:oops:

A while back when PC's were being discussed hot-n-heavy...I thought - I've got a spare Venom 3 laying around and installed it.
    Immediately there was a change....maybe not a wow moment, but not far off. It won't be disconnected for sure!
    It's been about 4 weeks in and I'm still happy.
    And I really expected no difference, prob why I waited over 2 years before trying it.
    Doesn't make sense I know. Maybe about synergy/RF leakage.
    And I did pay attention to routing before and changed no routing for the PC install.
    Perhaps I should have experimented more with routing, but I thought all was right.
    Can't fix a problem when you don't know of its existence.
    Oh well...

Big Blue and MikeJedi like this.
  9. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

The rarest of phrases to be spoken by an audiophile! Thank you for your honesty.

On several occasions I have swapped out my stock cables (ie., those provided w/my components) with pricier ones on just one side (L or R), then used my balance knob to switch b/w channels while playing a song in mono. ..Neither I nor anyone in my family could hear one iota of difference. ..So right there with you :)

I have often suggested that cable manufacturers put needle-drops (music clips) on their website where one channel is hooked up with their pricey cables from source-to-ADC recorder, and the other using provided generic cables. ..Thus allowing consumers to hear the improvements for themselves on their own system. ..Won't happen.

csgreene and Hardcore like this.
  10. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

I ‘upgraded’ mine to a pair of Chord Clearway, after reading a What Hi-Fi article that was raving about at them. I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference over the stock ones, other than looking cool I didn’t see much return on the £80 or so that I spent.

If you’ve got a top end system and deep pockets to match then of course splash out, but I think the average user will be just fine and would be wiser investing their money elsewhere.

keiron99 and MikeJedi like this.
  11. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

No it's not. ..The engineers know what capacitance the provided cables should be. ..This is what they do; they're a team of electrical and (likely) mechanical engineers. Cables w/ the correct capacitance and shielding need not have fancy woven fabric sheaths and cool-looking anodized plugs.

12. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Why? :)

It makes sense for you.

Slick Willie likes this.
  13. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Fancy VUs aren't needed also ... and Technics uses them on the higher end amplifiers.
    You say that VUs make a difference because Technics engineers included them?

14. Slick Willie

I guess I just like things to make sense?

15. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

The common sense is the less common of the senses ;)

Slick Willie likes this.
  16. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I think we're putting too fine a point on this.. But, here goes:

No.. VU's are NOT necessary. ..Just like a fancy-looking insulation and polished plugs on interconnects aren't. ..But for some, they enhance their ownership experience. ..And that is totally fine. But I don't believe for a second that either makes for better sound reproduction. ..Though VU's do provide a useful function in that they may help people from over-driving their speakers.

MikeJedi likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

I like my VU's, use them to judge volume. I find them useful for confirmation in shootouts/confirming dynamics.
    Use them more for volume settings than the numbers.

MikeJedi, Oelewapper and ODS123 like this.
  18. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Closer to the source, before the final volume control, VU meters can also help maximize the dynamic range while keeping enough headroom to prevent clipping.

Big Blue, MikeJedi and Sterling1 like this.
  19. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Not all quality cables have fancy woven fabric sheaths and anodized plugs. My Auditorium 23 Hommage interconnects are just basic rubber cables with simple plugs. They don’t need the fluff because they simply sound better than most cables.

20. JohnQVD

I can’t find a model number. Music Direct calls it the “Reflex Record Clamp” and everyone else just seems to call it the Michell Record Clamp.” That’s as opposed to the one specifically for Rega (and other short spindle) turntables. This site says that it needs a minimum of 8 mm above the record to clamp on. I haven’t measured, but I haven’t had any problems. (I had the clamp before the turntable.)

I will say that the price has gone up a bit since I bought mine a couple of years ago. Maybe worth making the measurement before buying rather than trusting a rando on the internet. :)

MikeJedi likes this.
  21. Slick Willie

Well I hope at least they have a vibrant color and a catchy name!:cool:

22. JohnQVD

I really like the AT VM540ML I’ve been using on my GR, but it doesn’t play nice with the built-in phono pre on my Yamaha A-S 801. I know it’s my fault for not making more money, but I’m not willing to spend $3k on an integrated that has a suitable low-capacitance phono pre. Maybe Yamaha’s engineers aren’t as brilliant and all-knowing as Technics engineers because I’m led to believe reading this thread that it’s always better to use the built-in pre.

Or maybe it’s my fault for using the wrong cartridge. I’m thinking I should go back to using my Ortofon 2M Red. I didn’t like it much on my JVC, but it’s the one that comes with the Technics 1500C. They must have included that cartridge because it’s the best cartridge for their turntables. It’s my fault that I don’t like the sound of the Yamaha with the A-T because I’m not using the right cartridge on my 1200GR.

But I don’t like the Ortofon any better on the Technics than I did on the JVC. So maybe I should just go back to my CD player.

23. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Why you don't use an external phono preamp with 100pF capacitance?

Many decent phono preamps under 300 usd with that capacitance ... and surely better than the internal preamp in the yamaha.

You can check the schiit mani / cambridge audio duo / musical fidelity v90 / etc.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  24. Slick Willie

Wow, quite a journey there!;)

JohnQVD likes this.
  25. Slick Willie

As I was buttoning down for the evening, I was intrigued by how the cover hingers on my 40 year old SL1700 had the same 'feel' as my 2 1/2 year old G.
    Somehow that felt comforting that even the small details are paid some attention.

MikeJedi likes this.