Can anyone help me finish solving the most complicated movie in history?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dissidence, Mar 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dissidence

Dissidence Human Thread Starter

After reading this recent article, I don't understand why Triangle is only third:

The 10 best mind-bending movies you should watch

Primer, Shutter Island, Triangle, Predestination, The Butterfly Effect, Source Code, Coherence, Memento, The Machinist, Fight Club

I ended up understanding all of the movies on this list. So anyone can understand them too.

:)

But I don't fully understand Triangle.

I'm not going to develop my theory too far because maybe many haven't seen this movie.

Don't send me pre-2019 internet theories, I've read them all. Some fanatics even made EXCEL tables with hours! lol
    I always find inconsistencies that make the whole theory crumble.

After an unforgettable listening to Acid Land by the French stoner legends King Weed :whistle: , I found a solution a year ago and decided to leave two or three things that I did not understand ...

My theory:

There are actually two loops forming a perfect triangle each and which together form a kind of hourglass (if I remember correctly my drawings).
    The first triangle is the loop that contains an amnesic Jess with her three successive states of mind. The second triangle contains a Jess who is aware of having lived the previous loop. This Jess is not seen in the movie as she is certainly inhuman in her mind. Both loops happen at the same time otherwise it's not funny!
    They repeat too ...

:D

The intersections of the triangles / loops between them form singularities that disturb space, her hell. They coincide perfectly in time with the feast of the liner's ballroom which suddenly rots and resuscitates.

:wtf:

I'm ready to watch Triangle again if there are people here who are interested in solving the greatest cinematic mystery of all time lol

In any case, if this thread goes unheeded, see this film at least one day.
    Just for the passage of the camera through a mirror to go from one Jess to another!

[​IMG]

Triangle (2009 , Christopher Smith , AUS / GBR)

:righton:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would add Inception to that list. Tenet is pretty whacked as well. Cloud Atlas has its moments.

Paul J, breakingglass and Dissidence like this.
  3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Prestige is better than all those IMHO.

"They are all your hat, Mr. Angier."

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've seen all the movies on the list... out of them all, I'd say Predestination is the one with the highest level of mind-f**kery.
    :righton:

5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I love Triangle. I had to import the flick on bluray.

6. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Thanks for that list! I have seen most but not all of them. Have not seen Triangle.

Dissidence likes this.
  7. Dissidence

I will advise watching Tenet first. Because this great modern 12 monkeys remains temporal even with the inversion etc.

In Triangle, time no longer exists for most of the movie (time stops at 8.17 for Jess, at 11.30 for her friends).
    So, the principle of Conservation of Mass (Lavoisier) therefore no longer also exists. This is why there are accumulations of objects in the ghost ship with each iteration of the double loop. There are indeed three loops since two intersecting loops form a third ...

:drool:

I love Inception, Interstellar, Tenet because Nolan perfectly coats simple concepts to create incredible blockbusters!

I love Triangle because Smith imagines universes without Relativity in a very fun film that everyone thinks they understand.

;)

Edit: The camera that goes through a mirror from one Jess to another without CGI is pure magical directing!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Vidiot and ssmith3046 like this.
  8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Out of your list I've only seen Shutter Island, Fight Club, Memento and Butterfly Effect, but from how you've described Triangle I don't think it would be entertaining enough for me to invest the time in figuring out what is going on.

Jacob's Ladder in my opinion beats all of those listed in regards to confusing plot lines in that it has far more heart and soul with a more down to earth flow within the confusion. Plus it's based thinly on a supposed true story regarding drug experimentation on soldiers during the Vietnam War.

I saw it in the theater at first release and was totally confused. Watched it again years later on BD last week. It still holds up and makes even more sense now. The BD features and behind the scene footage on how they created the effects were pretty interesting in how they kept it simple for such disturbing visuals. Included alternate scenes shows even more unsettling imagery.

The interview of the writer explains quite a bit on how he came up with the story which is fascinating on its own from a creative aspect considering the premise and confusing plot line and was still able to keep it grounded and relatable.

The behind the scenes footage also mentioned executives telling the director to edit the ending which really gave it a more emotional connection in audience test screenings.

9. Dissidence

You saw Shutter Island, Fight Club, Memento ... This is great!

I think it would be entertaining enough for you to invest the time in figuring out what is going on with Melissa George's clothes. lol

Jacob's Ladder is terrific, I love it too!

;)

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Here's an oldy but goody confusing movie you might check out if you haven't yet...Gregory Peck in Mirage. I saw it in TV reruns and it took several viewings over the years for me to figure out what was going on.

11. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

From the list in the first post, the only one I’ve seen is Memento. I go out of my way to avoid movies like these! :D

Ghostworld and Dissidence like this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I like "Source Code"....

Dissidence likes this.
  13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I think I will try this, instead of watching mind-bendingly complex movies...:laugh:

(Unfortunately not on Apple Music...but YouTube to the rescue!)

Dissidence likes this.
  14. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

If I need to read pages of threads on IMDB to find out what a film means or seek an explanation on the plot, the director has failed in my opinion.

15. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I'll have to watch that one, I admit I haven't paid as much attention to films over the last 15 years as I did before that. Part of it is the birth of my child, but also the demise of the video store. I'm slowly watching some films I "missed", and Primer was one of them. I enjoyed it, and was a bit confused of the exact time travel logic, but for such a low budget film it worked wonderfully. Also saw Tenet recently, and though it wasn't a straight forward narrative, I was used to Nolan's style, so I didn't expect to understanding ever nuance of what was happening on first viewing. Ultimately it, and all films that use time travel, are science fiction, and you simply have to accept some things are not going to be realistic.

I really do admire films that require multiple viewings to fully digest. Some people are turned off by this, but not understanding a film is different than not enjoying a film. I usually hate film exposition that is spoon fed to the audience.

Even though most people don't debate much about 2001 anymore, that film, and its ending is one that still can't be pinned down in anyway. I loved the homage to it in Inception.

Dissidence likes this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I would say the opposite is true: that a film having scant meaning or broader understanding to discuss--or nothing controversial to debate--has failed. The director has two hours of the viewer's time to do justice to a screenplay that may be based on a much longer book or an original concept that may have taken years and tens of millions of dollars to create. Hundreds of people may be involved in production of a film. With this much effort, work and planning going into a film, it should be able to work on multiple levels. If you want to experience it as a cut and dry, superficial, one-and-done viewing experience, certainly the director should be able to satisfy you. But if you want to dig deeper, rewatch the film and mine for other interpretations or meaning, and have long discussions on sites like this, you should be able to do that too.

17. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I agree.

I also keep finding myself going back to films (and albums) that either I dismissed outright, or didn't give anymore thought about due to critical or public bad reviews, and rediscovering what riches they hold in story and meaning. Unsung gems as I call them.

Dissidence and GregM like this.
  18. Dissidence

No, this movie runs like a normal movie.
    There are beautiful landscapes, beautiful people (Melissa George, Liam Hemsworth),
    Lots of suspense, twists and more ...

And you understand the film from its first viewing!

But the next day or a few hours later, you tell yourself that you haven't actually understood anything. lol

:)

19. Dissidence

King Weed is awesome. Fantastic instrumental stoner, don't you think?
    Acid Land, Toxic Freedom, Smoking Meadows and Savannah are imo their best albums (in best order)
    These guys release an album every four months and are so stoned I think they couldn't do a single gig!

bandcamp: KING WEED

Acid Land , track 3 : The Girl With The Silver Eyes.
    Listen to, I started to find the solution from this title
    Music only, I swear!

:agree:

drobo and zakyfarms like this.
  20. Dissidence

OK, I'm trying to come to a conclusion. lol

This is both the most complicated and most entertaining film in the history of cinema.

:D

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This is gonna be a fun thread, leading to a lot of satisfying viewing...and probably, a lot of unsatisfying conversations with my wife afterwards...;)

Dissidence likes this.
  22. Humbler

Humbler Forum Resident

Someone up thread mentioned Cloud Atlas. I would recommend that anyone who liked that movie read the book. In fact, most any David Mitchell book falls into the type of movies talked about here but only Cloud Atlas was made into a movie.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  23. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

As Crow T. Robot once said ...

"It really IS more suspenseful when
    you don't know what the heck is going on"

24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

.daerht siht dnatsrednu ot gniyrt m’I

Dissidence likes this.
  25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

TENET for me. I enjoyed the movie but it was impossible to follow.

Macman, vegafleet and Ghostworld like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.