Forgotten Sequels

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Mar 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Different studio too, although Disney did pay MGM a royalty to use the ruby slippers.

2. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Two sequels. Jean Shepherd scripted and narrated My Summer Story and Bob Clark also returned to direct. Both had passed on and were not involved with A Christmas Story 2.

My Summer Story
    isn’t bad, honestly. The other one, well...

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Rent all four sequels on Amazon. If you dare.

4. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I may have it confused with the masterful Meatballs...

5. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Bob Clark is one of the most underrated directors in the history of cinema...

finslaw and Walt like this.
  6. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

It's the one with Ted Knight instead of Rodney Dangerfield, right?

Surprisingly excellent!

7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Do made for TV movies count? Anybody remember Mark Blankfield's sequel to The Jerk?

[​IMG]

I watched it when it first aired and remember it being pretty funny, but haven't seen it since.

8. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

This was the first one I thought of, and correct it isn't a direct sequel of the original film, but still same characters and setting, so close enough.

And its directed by Walter Murch, his only film as director. This legendary man was the editor of Apocalypse Now!, The English Patient, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, and co-wrote THX-1138. What a career!

mmars982 and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  9. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Ted Knight and Rodney Dangerfield are both in the original; Jackie Mason is in the sequel. The only cast member to appear in both films is Chevy Chase.

Dudley Morris, mmars982 and Shoes1916 like this.
  10. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I am super confused - is this the sequel where the guy proves he's the other guy's father by cutting his hand off...?

:confused:

11. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I just remembered The Neverending Story II and III. The first sequel was a major theatrical release at the time (1990), and was an expensive film. The original Neverending Story adapted the first half of Michael Ende's novel (more or less); II adapts the second half (again, roughly). II isn't great, but it's decent enough, and it retains the style of the first film. III is abysmal. Everything looks cheap, the story doesn't make much sense (even for this series), and the film is very grating. A very young Jack Black is the main villain (a school bully), and he's fun enough, but he can't save this one. It was barely released in the U.S. (all three films were German productions).

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

S. Darko

One of the worst films I have seen.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It obviously can't compare to the Kubrick film but is a decent intelligent sci-fi film in its own right, script is decent, great cast, worth watching.

apesfan, 905 and Shoes1916 like this.
  14. Dissidence

Dissidence Human

The American Ninja Saga: 5 movies!
    Don't laugh, the first two are pretty good ...

:)

15. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Concur; I was surprised by how good it was.

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I don't think so. Meatballs is one of the most enjoyable little films to ever emerge from the post-Animal House crowd. Meatballs II on the other hand, is as embarrassing a price of dreck as anyone with two dimes could dare conjure.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Direct-to-video allows for franchises to exist where they wouldn't have if only theatrical existed.

Especially in the world of horror! "Wrong Turn" didn't turn a profit theatrically in 2003 - which is rare for horror movies, as they're usually so cheap to make that they don't need to do big $$$ to be profitable - but it still spawned five sequels and a recent reboot!

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Objectively, "Jaws 2" isn't a very good movie, but it's also not a bad movie. It's just too much like a watered-down version of the first.

I'll always maintain a soft spot for "J2" because I saw it before I watched the original. I was 8 in 1975, so a little too young for "Jaws" - especially when we consider that movie's reputation as shocking and horrifying at the time.

I was 11 in 1978 so fine for "J2". Saw it opening day - last day of fifth grade! - and just loved it.

Finally saw the original in 1979... and thought it was inferior to the sequel! :hide:

Eventually I realized the error of that opinion, and I don't think "J2" is a particularly strong flick.

But it's okay, and the warm 'n' fuzzies of nostalgia help! :D

19. Oatsdad

Knight and Dangerfield are both in the original "Caddyshack" but not "II".

Jackie Mason has the lead role in "II", apparently in a part similar to Rodney's from the first.

Chevy Chase reprises his "Caddyshack" part - dunno if it's a cameo or something more substantial, as I never saw the movie.

No one else from the 1st movie returns, I don't think, though Harold Ramis returned as co-writer, which surprised me.

I interviewed Ramis years ago and asked about the original - now I wish I asked about the sequel too! I'd love to know why he took on that project!

Shoes1916 and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  20. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

The guy is just being a smartass.

21. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

French Connection II
    Psycho 2

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  22. Scooterpiety

Dangerfield was slated to appear in the sequel and apparently Ramis only agreed to participate because Dangerfield asked him to. Ramis wrote a draft and consulted with Dangerfield on script ideas, but after Dangerfield dropped out after a disagreement with Warner Bros. over money, Ramis quit too. He suggested they should just scrap the film at that point, but Jackie Mason was hired, other writers were brought in and Ramis wanted his name removed from the credits, but Warners was afraid if word of that got out, it would possibly hurt the film.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    JediJones, yesstiles and Oatsdad like this.
  23. Oatsdad

Very helpful - thanks! :wave:

Now I don't regret that I didn't ask. I really only wanted to talk "SCTV" with him anyway! :D

Scooterpiety likes this.
  24. Scooterpiety

I don't think he would have minded talking about nothing but SCTV.
    I get the impression he was rather nostalgic for the SCTV days.

25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

And there was a Meatballs III, with Sally Kellerman and Patrick Dempsey. Horrible.

yesstiles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.