The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

Ahhh yes, of course definitely ha. Totally forgot about that one. That's the song I've heard the most by them over the years heh.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

Awesome! I hope you like it as much as I do. They were a band who were a stand out to me from the beginning of the New Wave or whatever you want to call it, and I loved the albums that preceded From Beyond, but when that one came out it just floored me and blew everything else away. Everything just came together into this perfect record. Their follow up, Zenith, was probably my least favorite of their albums...but it was still really good, to be sure.

Curveboy likes this.
  3. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I like that one quite a bit, too. Them and Screamer are some of my fave bands playing trad hm.

Johnny Rock N' Roll likes this.
  4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Mr Big is a fun band to delve into (like any other musical discovery). They kind of evolve/change a bit and I don't think any of their albums sound too much alike. And of course there is the period when Paul Gilbert left and Richie Kotzen stepped in. Two very different players but both are very skilled axe slingers. Richie is also a very gifted singer & songwriter and another of my faves but I digress.

My fave Mr. Big album is this one btw (What If... from 2011), which was their reformation with Paul after 10 years of doing nothing after Richie left:

[​IMG]

If you're serious about getting into them I recommend just continue on in sequence from the first album, hear how they evolve. Some you'll like, some maybe you won't, I dunno.

Note that they have a gazillion live releases, some only available from Japan. With another one coming (the boxset I posted about).

Then of course there is this INSANE boxset that I love, for insane fans like me:
    Incredible new Japanese boxset from Mr. Big - "The Vault" (wow!!)

Paul's solo career is spotty IMO and has a huge back catalog to delve into. He is one of the greatest players ever but sometimes I need more melody than shredding. My fave solo releases by him are ones with more melody & singing than the shredding instrumental ones.

This is probably my favorite (Space Ship One):

[​IMG]

And there is a companion DVD to that of them playing the album live in the studio with Paul doing some amazing between song explanations with his axe talking to us that I really dig.

[​IMG]

I love this recent album of his too, which I talked about earlier in this thread here:

The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

[​IMG]

He also made an album with guitarist/singer Freddie Nelson called United States which I think is pretty good just that I don't like Freddie's voice, he sounds almost exactly like Freddie Mercury who I am not a fan of sad to say. They toured Japan and released 4 great live CDs btw (which I own of course!). Freddie is also part of the band in the album I linked in above.

[​IMG]

Billy Sheehan is a super amazing bass player btw! Not that anyone could fill John Entwistle's shoes in The Who but he was my #1 choice for that (didn't happen of course).

I'll stop there, gotta get some sleep, don't ever get me started talking about music as some of you here can attest to....

5. I didn't see this posted in the thread, but I got a rise out of hearing this will be released.

Charlie Benante is releasing a physical album from the cover tunes he's been doing during Covid. It looks like a pretty good cast of jammers. Some of these I heard while others I haven't.

Anthrax's Charlie Benante + New "Quarantine Jam" Album, SILVER LININGS : Metal-Rules.com

As for Anthrax, supposedly they are going into the studio to record the new album pretty soon, if not right now.

6. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Lemmy had his ashes put in bullet casings with his name inscribed and given to friends.

7. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Billy Sheehan's "Holy Cow" solo album is worth checking out. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

8. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

[​IMG]

9. That reminds me of the sportsman here in Texas who had his cremated remains put in shotgun shells along with the cordite, so his family and friends could shoot them. And they did!

(not "ashes" - just a bit of fun education, which you may already know. When I was in the funeral business the term was never used, because, well, they are not reduced to ashes. It was always "cremated remains," though some old skool funeral directors might use the term, "cremains".) :)

Tying this back to metal, when I was 17 we formed our first real band as fairly good musicians, and we used to practice at my father's embalming service. If we were practicing, and a body came in, the path to get to the prep room was always past our jam room door. We couldn't see the body unless we just so happened to open the door at the time, but if anyone wanted to see a corpse (and they did, until it became old hat), it was a short walk to the embalming room and the coolers.

Heh. Just thinking about it now makes me smirk. Chicks would come over to watch us rehearse. Brave girls. They'd want to see the bodies sometimes.

Anyway, we weren't even death metal, just "thrash" 1990 style.

I guess it seems weird now, but back in the day, laying in my bed listening to King Diamond, I never thought anything of it. :shh:

10. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I listened to their first one the other day, I think this is a new singer.

11. Newish......new guitarist too.

lenny nero likes this.
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Eden's Curse
    Jerusalem Sleeps
    Nikola Mijic Vocal Audition (2012)

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Smith/Kotzen - new album is out, very enjoyable blues based hard rock.

14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

New Gojira single, new album is shaping up very nicely.

15. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I got their Black Eyed Sons set playing now.
    An excellent multi disc release that includes a live DVD
    Quality!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Damn...based on the dates he was with the band I saw him open for KISS on the Revenge tour. I remember they were very, very good live.

18. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Every single so far is a home run. Really looking forward to this one, I think it’s an April release?

sillycornelius likes this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's out on April 30.

20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Saxon Inspirations

I certainly hope they had more fun recording this than I am listening to it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Do they spilt the vocals 50/50?

22. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I’ve never understood why (aside from being a cash-grab) long-established bands feel the need to produce a whole album of covers. UFO are one the few bands where I own their entire discography....all that is, apart from their last recorded output - ‘The Salentino Cuts’. Covers albums are a crapshoot at the best of times, but ‘The Salentino Cuts’ was definitely more “crap” than “shoot”!

I have no issue with the odd cover here and there - I really enjoyed Saxon’s cover of ‘Ride Like The Wind’, and UFO’s version of ‘Alone Again Or’ is just class; but an album-full of covers is just too much for me to stomach :hurl:

kyouki, Jimmy Agates, slipkid and 4 others like this.
  23. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Curveboy and slipkid like this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I picked up that album but I didn't like it as much as the earlier ones I have by them.

I was only able to give it one spin though, during which my player scratched it up pretty badly (long story). I did not like it enough to buy another copy (like I did with some other discs that got damaged) but this reminds me to see if I can extract the audio from the CD and reburn a playable copy....trying that now....