The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They put a 'get you going' cable in the box. I doubt it cost much to make. Certainly not going to maximise SQ even if it sounds OK to you.

Big Blue and Erocka2000 like this.
  2. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Meh, I really dislike the ortofon 2m cartridges. I've had 2m red and blue and heard a bronze, they don't do it for me.
    I got the red with a pro-ject fairly recently after getting married and moving here and my wife thought that turntable and cartridge sounded horrible. We both had an aha! moment with an old goldring g800 I had lying around, so much more smooth sounding and less harsh. Perhaps dip your toes into the vintage cartridge arrina? From what I've heard the 2m range and audiotechnica are all there is for cheap mm's that are half decent aka not dj cartridges. Not that there's anything wrong with dj cartridges I have a couple that I like!
    but you said you liked the audiotechnica on another turntable?

3. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I'm highly skeptical of your claim. ..So why didn't Technics also save a few dollars by including 'just get you going" feet, platter mat, head-shell; head-shell cables, etc...

And I don't recall Technics mentioning in the Owner's Manual that I should "enjoy your table as shipped, but please understand it will sound even better when you replace the "get you going" cables with something better from your authorize dealer."

keiron99, SamS and MikeJedi like this.
  4. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The head shell that comes with the 1200G/GR ain’t nothing to write home about. In fact, even Technics thinks it’s inferior since they don’t even include it on the SL-1000R. Same with the mat. It may sound decent, but causes a lot of static and can be bettered. Again, if you like the stock peripherals, that’s great. But to think that they are the end-all be-all for that table is just nonsense.

Big Blue and Classicrock like this.
  5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Just checked the manual for the SL-1000R on their website. It comes with the same 3mm rubber platter mat as all the others, but you’re right that they don’t include the headshell. Oddly, they picture the same old Technics headshell, but indicate that it’s “not included.”

6. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

No it's not.

Big Blue likes this.
  7. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

It’s about as simple as an aluminium headshell can get, but I actually like it because of the weight.
    Even fancier ones I have like the Ortofon LH-6000 and Jelco HS-25 are heavier.
    The light weight comes in useful when the resonance frequency is quite low.

Big Blue, recstar24 and Hardcore like this.
  8. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

The manual advises to only use the cables that come packaged if I remember correctly.

ODS123 likes this.
  9. Hardcore

Inferior is a strong word, just because there are fancier options doesn’t mean they’re going to sound any better.

ODS123 likes this.
  10. Erocka2000

Nope. Doesn’t say that at all.

11. Erocka2000

But in this case it does. If it was a great sounding headshell, they would include it with the SL-1000R, which they do not.

12. Hardcore

Let me get my manual out...

13. Erocka2000

Page 14.

14. Hardcore

15. Erocka2000

Slick Willie likes this.
  16. Classicrock

What other hi-fi product tells you that? It's clearly nonsense but probably to protect them from the clueless connecting something wrongly. People on this forum have changed cables, mat, head shell to good effect judging by their experiences. Mostly amps come without interconnects these days. Everything used to come with cheap cables with plugs similar to those used by Technics. I don't even know the specs of the supplied cables. I bought something I know is low capacitance has a neater integrated earth and designed specifically for low output MC. General purpose interconnects are often only suitable for higher outputs. Head shell rather depends on the cartridge but many benefit from a more rigid heavier head shell. I also got some benefit with changing mat and using a weight. Later more subtle but obvious in a system above mid-fi level with low noise floor. If you don't want to experiment and happy with the sound that is fine but don't start telling everyone who knows otherwise you are right. At the price I paid for the 1200G the changes still come in under a total of £3K. Reviews have widely reported improvements to the Technics models using 'audiophile' cables.

Erocka2000 likes this.
  17. Hardcore

I’m merely stating that it said it in the manual, I’m not saying I agree.

It’s almost definitely to absolve Technics of any responsibility if people screw up their equipment using third party items.

As for ‘telling everyone who knows otherwise that I am right’ I was right, I said it was in the manual and it was. Had I have been wrong I would have happily eaten humble pie, as I did just a couple of pages ago. Its obviously more difficult for some people.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    Slick Willie and punkmusick like this.
  18. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Too much discussion ... who thinks the stock cable it's the better for the tt, use it. Who thinks it's not, change it.

There's no argument over the world that changes the state of mind about cables to anyone ... only the experience. So, a side on an lp (20 mins) worth it more than this discussion.

ThorensSme likes this.
  19. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

The point, I think, is that Technics does not include a cheap cable expecting users do swap it for a better one. They include a cable they believe is up to the task. They even ask you to use the stock cables and only the stock cables in the manual, can't think of a better evidence than that.
    This does not mean, however, that better cables don't exist or that you shouldn't use a different one on your own risk. I do, I already had fancier cables when I bought the GR and I'm using them with great results.

Hardcore likes this.
  20. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

The included cables are pictured and identified in the Owner's Manual as part #K2KYYY00257 - the same for the G, GR, GAE's - then shows where to connect it. ..But no, it does not specifically say "use these cables". ..But nor does it mention anything about upgrading the cables to improve sound.

I would love it if one of the engineers who developed these tables would weigh in on the subject of tweaks/ upgrades. ...My hunch is they are highly skeptical of them.

21. Hardcore

Where I question things is when it comes to the quality of the material that carries the signal. For example, my £80 Chord Clearway RCA, proudly made in England. I’m pretty sure we don’t produce our own copper in this country, so likely it came from China. Let’s compare that to the stock RCA, also likely made in China. How do we really know that the quality of the copper is better in my Chords? How do we know it’s even as good quality as the stock RCA? We don’t, Chord don’t provide any specific details.

I feel a lot goes into marketing, directional cables, fancy plugs, colours and branding but when it comes to the technical abilities of a cable it’s a lot more vague.

22. Erocka2000

They also don't tell you which cartridge to use. Does that mean you should use the table without a cartridge?

Why would they mention upgrading the cables if Technics doesn't sell upgraded tables? Do you want them to advertise for another brand just so that they can write in the manual for people who apparently need to see it in print to believe it's okay to use different cables?

Big Blue likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Actually I remember when the new turntables where released Technics made a point in mentioning they no longer had a captive cable you could not change. The only manufacturers that hint at interconnect or speaker cables are those that have their own range like Naim, Linn and Rega and most notably NVA where their low capacitance speaker cable is a must (for the guarantee to be valid). Some vaguely tell you to use a high quality interconnect and get advice from your dealer (Musical Fidelity). Never came across a brand that suggests changing the power cable however. You might need to change the interconnects on a Technics deck purely due to the need for a longer (or shorter) length.

24. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

It's incredible that this obsession over cables doesn't exist in the aerospace industry, medical equipment, or computers. ..But in audio - whoa!

Expensive cables exist primarily because they give audio dealers another revenue opportunity and b/c audiophiles will believe most anything makes an audible difference.

IMHO, This hobby is hurt by it's collective disinterest in evidence-based validity testing.

25. Erocka2000

You do realize there are Aerospace Grade and Medical Grade materials, right? They don't use any old materials. You wouldn't make a plane out of standard aluminum. I mean, maybe you would. But anyone who wanted to be safe would make one out of airplane grade aluminum. Same goes for Medical Grade power plugs. If I was ever on life support, I'm pretty sure I'd want that machine using a power plug that was rated specifically for that machine, not just an OEM IEC plug off the shelf.

I think this hobby is hurt by people who may not hear differences (which is fine) but who also have to tell everyone who does hear differences that they're wrong.

Again. If you're fine with the stock peripherals, awesome! More power to you! But I just don't understand why you insist that anyone who changes them and hears an improvement is wrong and insane for even thinking it.

Rafao, formu_la and Classicrock like this.