Nobody (2021) Starring Bob Odenkirk, Christopher Lloyd,

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheVU, Mar 28, 2021.

1. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident Thread Starter

The opening weekend for this brand new Action feature starring Bob Odenkirk.

I was grinning ear to ear the whole time. Grade A action flick. Fantastic set up and extremely convincing performance from Odenkirk and a wild departure of the norm for Lloyd.

I urge anyone looking for a wild ride to get out and go see this one.

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

klownschool likes this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I seriously considered seeing this today. Next weekend I’ll catch it for sure... :righton:

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Saw the trailer a couple if days ago. Itching to see it but who knows when that will be.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Looks like John Wick Settles Down. Does make me want to play some Louis Prima, I must say.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love both of those guys...can't wait to see this!

Brenald79 likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

My main reviewer gave it a B+. I’m debating doing a $25 rental when it becomes available on Itunes.

8. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I saw it Friday afternoon and loved every minute of it. This kind of film often relies on clichés, and plays everything by the numbers. But this film is different.
    It takes chances. It has some nice touches that add a certain something extra to the experience of watching it.

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Saw it Friday, fun flick, I love Bob Odenkirk as Better Call Saul and he doesn't disappoint here. Very John Wick just not as stylized and slick as that franchise. I will definitely see it again in a theater but I have Godzilla vs King and The Unholy coming up this week.

Coppertop Tester and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I’ve been a huge Bob Odenkirk fan since Mr. Show. Not in a million years could I have imagined him as an action star, but here we are. Better Call Saul turned him into a legit actor. I will definitely see this.

11. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm also a huge fan of Bob Odenkirk. He's the only actor I've seen who can sound snarky no matter the level of sincerity as a character showing empathy. He's never too mushy. There's always a comic's sense of timing lying underneath his acting style that would perfectly balance out the violence in "Nobody"going by the trailer I've seen at my local theater which is now playing and I will be attending as soon as I can make the time.

12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I can’t find a date for when this will be available to rent. No movie theatres open here.

13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I didn't care for it. A few amusing scenes but mostly cartoonish without being especially clever or funny.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've seen it twice in the theater so far. I'm lucky that my wife Vickie loves action films, and this is a good one.

15. Tim Lookingbill

I felt a bit ill right after the transit bus fight scene and quickly walked out but it had nothing to with the movie.

Something to do with a combination of indigestion, Covid protocol issues after asking the dude who was sitting in my assigned seat to move two seats down carrying his popcorn and beverage along with the smell of is cologne left behind and then realizing I was now touching everything he touched with his hands. The adjustable reclining seats was also putting pressure on my indigestion and affecting my breathing plus I had to go pee urgently. Just the wrong time to go to the movies for me.

I'm going to go back at a different time. IMDB has a 7.7 average rating for this movie so it will be worth it.

16. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I'll grab the BD when released. Tho I'm fully vaxxed,
    still leery about hitting the theater.

Leviethan likes this.
  17. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Me too. I will likely see Dune in the theater, though. Although watching it at home on HBOMax will be really tempting...

MrSka57 likes this.
  18. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

All the WB HBO Max releases have been, um, underwhelming so far;
    I would've felt cheated if I'd paid to see any of them in the theater.

19. Chris DeVoe

My wife and I are members of AMC's Stubs A* List program, and we get three tickets per week in any other theaters including Dolby Cinema, IMAX and 3D for just over $20 a month. So we can see pretty much everything for less than the cost of a cable subscription.

20. Chris DeVoe

One of the things I liked about this film is that all the characters had a back story that we learned about over time, his father, his brother and his wife's knowledge of his previous career, leaving it open for a prequel.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    altaeria, Coppertop Tester and TheVU like this.
  21. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Yeah, none of them have looked remotely appealing. I've been waiting a long time for Dune though.

MrSka57 likes this.
  22. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

That's a good point. There is a lot to work with as regards the characters.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The film is available on home video now.

This isn’t really a genre that I have had interest in for years. Are they all this violent?

Earlier in the thread the movie was described as “cartoonish”. I agree in a way. I thought it often had the look of graphic novel. A really graphic novel. I think it works in its favor, though.

24. Tim Lookingbill

Saw it last Sunday at my local theater. I was thoroughly entertained. Fast paced, didn't linger on too many personal relationship issues and just got down to whoopin' butt if Better Call Saul knew barefisted octagon style hand to hand combat and intricately creative ballistic booby trapping.

I wouldn't say it is cartoonish in its violence but I did laugh quite a bit seeing Odenkirk hold his own as an action figure. His snarky chit-chat with what's left of his antagonists is priceless. Odenkirk makes for a more relatable and likeable John Wick. At least there's comic relief with his tone of dialog on why his character is motivated to go into battle with some of the roughest sociopaths on the planet. It's quite cathartic for me at least as action flicks go because of the seemless underpinnings that everyone seems to not be taking them self too serious but still maintain a Gung Ho swagger in kicking butt.

Coppertop Tester and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

The scene in the tattoo shop with the Desert Storm veteran spotting a tattoo on Hutch's wrist suddenly getting all respectful, saying "Thank you for your service" and getting behind a very strong door was classic.