The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I would love a Mosaic box set with all takes from the Joe Henderson Trio Village Vanguard recordings! I have all the 1960's Joe Henderson Blue Note albums on CD and vinyl.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

3. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Looks like Jazz Messengers has the Teddy Wilson.

4. J.A.W.

RiRiIII likes this.
  5. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

With the recent stimulus check I got marital permission to buy the new Armstrong set. Excited!

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Would your wife be willing to provide permission to others seeking to purchase rare, out of print Mosaic boxes?

That should not be in violation of any federal or state laws.

7. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

My dream would be to have them do a phenomenal sounding Blanton-Webster Band, maybe with Fargo thrown in for good measure.

mw1917 likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

As long as you are dreaming, Mosaic should do ALL of the rest of Ellington from the era before the LP.

Don't stop there, Mosaic dreamers.

Mosaic could do the rest of ALL of Ellington's commercial recordings.

It is amazing how much of it is out-of-print or hard to find.

Gary_Stewart, mw1917, Ludy and 2 others like this.
  9. J.A.W.

Just heard from Mosaic's Scott Wenzel that the Joe Henderson 1963-1966 is scheduled for release next month (that would be April, unless he meant May, of course :)) Other sets on which they're working include some unreleased Lennie Tristano from his estate, and, as was mentioned before, various artists on the rare 78 label Black & White (1942-7)

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

To celebrate the "shipped today" announcement for the new Louis Armstrong box, I repeat a post of images of 45 RPM EP covers.

These sound great.

If you have not ordered the Armstrong box, order now.

If you delay, you will get the "Hesitating Blues" real bad. Don't say W.C. Handy and Satchmo didn't warn you about the Hesistating Blues.

Things go out of print fast these days.

[​IMG]

11. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Scott emailed me that the Henderson set would be available for the forthcoming open house so I assume an announcement will be made soon.

fingerpoppin and J.A.W. like this.
  12. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Any ideas how many CDs the Henderson set will be?

13. J.A.W.

I read somewhere that it would have 5 CDs and would include some Kenny Dorham Blue Note dates with Joe Henderson, but that wasn't confirmed.

oldjollymon and Nightswimmer like this.
  14. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Does mosaic send updates when they ship? I’ve not received anything from them since the order confirmation.

15. J.A.W.

No idea how it works these days, being in Europe I haven't ordered from them in ages, too much hassle with customs and slow overseas shipping. I get my Mosaics from Jazz Messengers in Barcelona, Spain. Maybe someone living in the US can help you.

frankfan1 likes this.
  16. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I believe they do.

frankfan1 likes this.
  17. Super_Grover

Super_Grover Well-Known Member

Same boat as you. Nothing since early Feb when I placed the order. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

frankfan1 likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I did get a shipping notice for the Armstrong. But I never check tracking. Following tracking just causes anxiety when none is needed. It will be nice when it gets here, but there is plenty to enjoy until then.

19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Was it a shipping notice? My email said "Shipping Notice" and then said "You will receive a notice with tracking # when the warehouse ships." And I haven't received that yet, so thinking it hasn't left the building

20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I think that’s correct.

21. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

As a follow up I asked Scott when the set would be available go ordering and he said by the end of April but didn’t answer my question of whether it would be available before the open house, where they expect to have a few copies. Not to have that info before then strikes me as a bit peculiar.

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Without checking my emails, I think you are correct.

It is interesting that the new Armstrong box is being released very close to the 50th anniversary of Armstrong's death.

I remember exactly where I was when hearing the news. I was doing some long distance hitch-hiking, and the driver and I talked about Satchmo for most of an hour when we heard it on the radio.

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Can these only be ordered on the Mosaic website? Having no luck getting that site to open on the past few days.

24. J.A.W.

teag and Cherrycherry like this.
  25. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Didn’t see this posted. These are nice themed explorations of the Savory Collection on YouTube:

Bobby Buckshot and mpayan like this.