Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

I want McCartney IV.

2. Lasereye

Lasereye Well-Known Member

Who else thinks there is going to be a McCartney III related release for RSD? I heard somebody say something about an outtake with a iii-imagined version...which would be interesting.

3. dralan

dralan Forum Resident

He's choosing to focus on the positive sure and as the original poster mkirk said, who can blame him it's how he wants to remember it so that he can make peace with a sad situation. As it is sad they never sat down, had a talk and straightened things out. It is sad they never returned to being good friends.

Some Beatles fans like to think they did and that's fine but it's also understandable some think otherwise. They didn't speak for a couple of years. Then they had some very brief contact and tried to get things on to a level footing but things were fragile because the break up was so acrimonious. Little things that wouldn't have been an issue when they were good friends were enough to destroy this new fledgling peace. Then John was tragically and awfully murdered so the chance to really resume being good friends was denied them. Paul didn't know where he stood with John and going by some of John's mixed comments both positive and also defensive he wasn't quite sure where they stood either.

However, I have no issue, why would I, with Paul wanting to remember things in a more positive fashion now or indeed with fans preferring a rose-colored version of events. It's all in the past now anyway. However, if some fans do think they didn't get back to being good friends I think that's a fair reading, people who have followed the story for decades will have formed a view or an impression back when Paul was telling people that they never sat down, talked and straightened things out let alone became good friends again - so that's going to be a genuine memory for them too.

joy stinson and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I know probably not at the top of anyone's list, but does anyone think Concert for New York gets a 20th Anniversary Edition?
    I have to imagine that September of this year will be quite reflective - that event is remembered as a significant step toward emotional recovery. Has it ever been issued on vinyl?

omikron and Paulwalrus like this.
  5. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

If it is reissued, I hope they just do as Live Aid and Live 8 were in recent years, and that is put out in digital form in their entirety.
    That would mean getting the whole sets for each act and not 1-2 songs.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  6. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Technically true but if he can release 8,916 versions of McCartney III and related products, you can darn well assume he will issue something from this musical.

Even the marginalized Tropic Island Hum had a single.

Unless Lady Gaga has a career ending event and becomes damaged goods, there is no way they will skip the opportunity to release that song if nothing else.

7. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

[​IMG]

That's a lot of musicians to pay. There's no way this doesn't ultimately get released. I always forget that Mike McCready from Pearl Jam is on guitar.

8. Nicolas1234

Nicolas1234 Forum Resident

There is this recent post on CultureSonar about the upcoming documentary with Rick Rubin - Rick Rubin's Take on Paul McCartney - CultureSonar

The piece of interview of Rick Rubin talking about the Beatles seems to come from this 2013 interview - Rick Rubin on Crashing Kanye's Album in 15 Days (newsweek.com) :

Let's rewind for a second and go back to the beginning. What was the first great song or sound that you can remember hearing?

The Beatles, "Rock 'n' Roll Music," the Chuck Berry cover. I was probably 4, and I can remember feeling electrified. That was the first real rock 'n' roll I'd ever heard.

What is it about the Beatles? What made them work?

It transcends everything. It's much bigger than four kids from Liverpool. For me the Beatles are proof of the existence of God. It's so good and so far beyond everyone else that it's not them.

9. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

That seems like a lot of musicians for just a ‘demo’.

10. Pattch82

Pattch82 Trouble is - gloves don't give a sh!t.

Thank you for sharing this absolute gem! I wasn't aware of this at all.

If the Denny Seiwell anniversary remake is anywhere near as good as Dave's version I'll be very happy!

wolfmac likes this.
  11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

McCartney III after a few listens I must has sunk in.

RSD McCartney III release? It's Paul so you know the chances of this happening are very high.

tug_of_war likes this.
  12. beatlesblogger

beatlesblogger Forum Resident

How about 'I Want to Come Home' from the 2009 film Everybody's Fine?

tug_of_war likes this.
  13. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

Wow! For whatever reasons, I've never seen solid info on there being a McCartney lead vocal on "I Lie Around"!! Plenty of speculation on how likely it was (which I always agreed with & often parroted myself) but this is very exciting!

I just think it's a great song & the only way it could be greater would be with a Paul vocal. I always guessed a demo/guide vocal, but, man this sounds like the real deal!!

My bet is that he just has loads of stuff like these that he's purposely held back from previously potentially appropriate releases (like "I Lie Around" could have arguably been included on the "Ram" or "Red Rose Speedway" sets- recording date vs. release date)... so he can (hopefully) put them out as part if a box set(or better yet box sets- as in many, or at least a few).

tug_of_war likes this.
  14. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

But that’s just a song. This is a whole soundtrack, multiple songs and score.

15. 'I Want to Come Home' (only on a promo CD)
    'Ruppert' (but the film wasn't released, too...)
    Some Linda songs related to animated pictures, before the posthumus album.
    'The Honorary Consul', released but never on CD, so very rare.
    Also some music tracks for Stella McCartney (hours).
    Music for Veggie Monday.

16. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The demos were sung by Paul McCartney, not Lady Gaga.

17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

If you're referring to Junior's Farm, that does appear on the US version of All The Best, so... :shrug:

Fingers crossed... :agree:

18. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I read that article thinking there would be even a crumb of new information about the documentary but, alas it turned out to be a typical internet article that uses older unattributed sources to try to connect it with the particular headline. Even the bit about the Mary McCartney project is wrong, she’s not doing a documentary on the Abbey Road album, but on the studio itself. There is not one bit of news in this article. More like a blog post. Lol sorry for the rant I just hate these type of “articles”, but hey they got my click, so I guess it did it’s job.

jesse and mrjinks like this.
  19. James McCartney

20. James McCartney

21. calluses

calluses Forum Resident

tug_of_war likes this.
  22. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Have a look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one of the CBS 16-track sheets shown in the books of "Ram" and "Red Rose Speedway".
    This one shows the contents of the multitracks of "Three Legs" (top), "I Lie Around" and "When The Wind Is Blowing" (bottom).

You can see that Paul really worked on the vocals for "I Lie Around", both lead and harmony, in April 1971.
    There's a chance these vocal tracks were later erased during the "Red Rose Speedway" sessions with Denny Laine's vocals recorded over. But even if it happened, there must be some rough mixes from 1971 because it was common practice to make rough mixes while the works were in progress.
    I doubt none of those mixes have survived.

Also, in the RAM boxset, engineer Eirik "The Norwegian" says that he worked on the final mixes of the songs and then was asked to choose which ones would make the album and sequence then. So there's a big chance that he mixed "I Lie Around", "Get On The Right Thing", "When The Wind Is Blowing", "Little Woman Love", "The Great Cock And Seagull Race" at least because, judging by the dates on the track sheets, all of these were finished during the Ram sessions. Why none of them were used for the boxset in 2012 is beyond me. What they used were mixes done by Dixon Van Winkle later on, after the album was even released! And they certainly sound different if you sequence them with the album tracks to make a double album, like I did. It spoiled my fun! hahahah

Oh. Eirik also says that Paul performed "Big Barn Bed", the whole song, at the end of "Ram On" but didn't want it on the album and he didn't resist letting a few seconds of it appear. I bet they still have the complete take but were busy in 2012 with that 1980s near-remake of "A Love For You".

Go figure...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  23. kaniffee

kaniffee Well-Known Member

I don't know how this would impact things, but I remember hearing that Paul was unhappy with how the Bush administration twisted his song Freedom.

“And I thought it was a great sentiment, and immediately post-9/11, I thought it was the right sentiment. But it got hijacked. And it got a bit of a militaristic meaning attached itself to it, and you found Mr. Bush using that kind of idea rather a lot in [a way] I felt altered the meaning of the song.” SOURCE

I could imagine that would taint things for him.

joy stinson likes this.
  24. calluses

calluses Forum Resident

I didn't like Bush, but just for argument sake, what did Paul really mean by singing "fight for the right to live in freedom" right after 911? Released at any other time, it could refer to activism for social freedom/equality etc., but released after 911, I think one couldn't help but interpret it literally as militaristic. How would a regular citizen "fight" for the right to live in freedom?

KaptKopter, Paulwalrus, SRC and 2 others like this.
  25. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

it is what its is...and it is a pro war anthem. Paul could not so naïve to think it wouldn't be used that way. He got caught up in a moment. We all did.

jesse likes this.