Updated KLH Model 5... has anyone experienced it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChrisR2060, Mar 23, 2021.

1. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict Thread Starter

I just came across this new edition of a famous classic KLH speaker. All paper cones, really old school...
    It seems reasonably sensitive and based on specs it does reach pretty low in the bass as it should with a 10" woofer.
    Has anyone heard it yet?

2. nnicola

nnicola Well-Known Member

Not yet. It was my intention to get out and find a place to hear the new Model 5, and then the pandemic hit. I’ll get out there soon to give it a listen.

I just love the fact that someone has resurrected the KLH brand from obscurity and is making quality audiophile gear at reasonable prices. That was the goal of Henry Kloss and he succeeded with every company he started. I have 3 different sets of vintage KLH speakers and a couple of sets of original large Advents, so you could say I’m a fan.

If you get out and listen to the new Model 5 please post a review. I’ll do the same.

3. John Murray

John Murray Forum Resident

I had the original KLH Model Five. One of the best speakers I've ever owned. They had such a presence. I upgraded to other speakers but of all that I've owned I still wish I would've kept the Five's. Curious on these new versions. Been following reviews from Andrew Robinson and Zero Fidelity. Their reviews seemed to have been pushed back from some sort of delays.

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I own a beautiful pair of original KLH Model 5 speakers that were refurbished several years ago. I'll stick with what I have for now.

5. nnicola

I talked to my nephew yesterday, and while he had not heard the new KLH Model 5 speakers, he did hear the KLH Kendall’s at a recent audio show and was very impressed. The Kendall’s are a ported, 3 way, floor standing speaker that sells for about $1,500 a pair. He said they won some kind of “best value” recognition at the audio show. Makes sense, if KLH is truly trying to resurrect the Henry Kloss ethos. I find that encouraging.

ChrisR2060 and John Murray like this.
  6. John Murray

first review I've seen by Andrew Robinson

7. John Murray

From someone who's owned a pair of the original, the new Five's sound like they kept the magic that made the original special. Now I compelled to find a pair lol!

8. nnicola

Please post your impression if you hear them firsthand.

9. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

I did not know that KLH had been resurrected. I still have a Model 88 Table Radio in daily use. Nice that the company has used so many MIT-related names for the products. (I'm not an alum, but did work there for a while, and of course Henry himself studied there.) I don't need speakers right now, but if I did, the Model 5 would be on my short list to check out, especially given the pricing. I won't need any arm-twisting at all to very seriously consider their Fusion buds. What an upgrade that would be from my current ones!

10. ChrisR2060

Andrew Robinson is high on them! It sounds like KLH hit the bullseye.

The Pinhead and John Murray like this.
  11. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I'm quite interested in this new speaker. I'll be following this thread closely. As someone interested in classic speaker design, going up against the $2500 Heresy which I've heard doesn't have the bass to be worth it, and the JBL L100 which is $4,000(!!!) and even the Linton which I demoed but thought they were a bit overpriced for what they are, I'll be adding these to my consideration because I'm wanting to keep the budget under $2500 for my new pair.

Alright4now and ChrisR2060 like this.
  12. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I've been on the lookout for the original Model 5 for five years, willing to drive 3 hours one way for a chance at them, but have never seen a pair in my region come up on CL. Maybe this is the route I'll have to go. But I agree with AR that there should be more finishing options and a choice of grill. I prefer the white linen myself.

John Murray likes this.
  13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Interesting.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Someone who used to run Klipsch.

15. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Very sexy speakers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

The made in china logo kills any interest for me and I'll take Henry's version thank you. FWIW I had the original 5's, 12's, 17's, and 23's. I found I preferred the 23's with the monsterous 12's and their contour boxes running a close 2nd.

RND4mGuy, Jpnh, johnnytheg and 6 others like this.
  17. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

The drivers and I'll bet the crossover are made in China. Wonder about the cabinets? Even still, Chinese factories can make some nice stuff like Wharfedale

Manimal, Rick58, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  18. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I find it interesting that many of the British speaker companies are still manufacturing stuff there, it seems like quite a few more than their U.S. counterparts.

We have Klipsch, but what other speaker companies from forty years ago are still doing the bulk of their production here?

19. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Klipsch Heritage is USA made, the other series are not

20. John Murray

Love that the stands are included and not extra priced like the JBL's. I might be in the minority here but I really love the clothe grilles. Gotta pick these up! From what I've heard from Andrew Robison and Sean from Zero Fidelity they'd go well with my Yamaha AS 1200. I have the Wharfdale Lintons currently and I imagine I'd probably like the Fives a bit better.

21. ChrisR2060

I started to plant the idea with my wife that I am going to get them. I hope it won't take too long before she says do what you want.

22. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I’d buy them...but.... they are big. Need to sell my SVS sub and Triangle BR03s....dang they look nice.

23. John Murray

Here's Sean's review of the Model Fives

bhazen likes this.
  24. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

I've been interested in the LBL L82 for a while now. These are cheaper and good looking and the stands come with.

Anybody hear these with their own ears?

MC Rag likes this.
  25. Helom

Helom Forum member

Great looking speakers with the grilles in place.