Which movie did you turn off within 15 minutes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Speedmaster, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

" My girlfriend's a vegetarian which pretty much makes me a vegetarian "
    Samueal L Jackson ' Pulp Fiction '

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  2. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

We switched off "Uncut Gems" in the first five minutes the other night. Blech.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Happy Death Day is great, same with its sequel.

4. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I also found it to be a morally repugnant film, and haven't re-watched it since the 90s. I saw it in the theatre, and then again on video, but hated it. The soundtrack was amazing, and I listened to it all the time, but the film missed the mark. I like Oliver Stone, and Tarantino, and all the actors, but it felt like a parody of itself trying to make a statement on violence, while itself being violent.

Not sure if this is a common observation, but the film "The Doom Generation" which came out after NBK, was in my view a better version of that morality tale, and I thought it was making fun of NBK, which I loved. Check it out if you haven't.

Scowl and JohnBeas like this.
  5. Sadly I sat through the whole thing. I kept hoping it would get better. Adam Sandler doing his best Al Pacino impression.

mr. steak likes this.
  6. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I was going away a week for work (probably early 2000’s) and was bringing along a book by Anne Tyler called Saint Maybe. On the Sunday evening before I was leaving I saw in a TV guide that the movie version of the same book was being broadcast at 1 a.m., so I set my VCR to record it.

I read the book and thought it was terrific. When I got home on Friday I couldn’t wait to watch the movie...

I lasted 15...20 min. tops. It was excruciating to watch. The whole tone and premise of the story was lost right from the start, and even after having just read the novel I couldn’t follow the plot. Such a sad mess, I knew it would be a waste of time to watch any longer.

7. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

It would be easier for me to tell you what movie I didn't turn off in the first 15 minutes. Over the last few years my attention span for movies has greatly decreased.

8. razerx

razerx Nonplayer Character

It’s pretty rare for me because I am kind of OCD about finishing books and movies but I couldn’t sit through Life of Pi.

hi_watt likes this.
  9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

2 Guns. Was just embarrassing. Lasted yeah maybe 10 minutes. A paycheck for Denzel.

10. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i ALmost turned off 'the ritual' (netflix) .... but soldiered on, the next day. i WISH i had turned it off / not gone back though.

was looking for an occult / wicker man type movie .... i could say more, but i guess that would be a spoiler. ymmv.

i should've just watched wicker man again. lol

hi_watt likes this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I liked it well enough. Wouldn't watch it again though. But for an Adam Sandler movie....

12. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

A wonderful musical-drama film in which Robin Williams co-stars is August Rush. :):thumbsup: I sometimes prefer comedians when they do dramatic roles, usually depending on how over-the-top they are w/their comedy.

13. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I probably turn off more than I end up watching...(& often after < 15 minutes)
    Some, off top of head:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    La La Land
    Peppermint
    Blockers
    A Star Is Born (2018)
    Tag
    Oceans 8
    Snatched
    Lucy In The Sky
    Stardust
    Elysium
    The Big Sick

One I stuck w/for about 40 minutes before leaving it behind, which I wish I hadn't invested > 15 tops:
    Vox Lux

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Michael and Scowl like this.
  14. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I'm starting to feel this way too so I often just leave the movie running and half pay attention to it. Within the first few minutes there's something that takes me out of the movie. I immediately don't care about the characters, or some dialog will sound fake to me, or some actor is playing a character unrealistically, or someone does something that doesn't make sense. I used to be able to tolerate things like that.

15. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

The Interview.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Changing Lanes. A minor accident in NYC escalates into insanity. Worth watching.

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Ad me to those who cited Ad Astra.

Probably a decent movie in there somewhere, but I have no patience for lazy expositional dialogue. That's a real trigger for me. I mean, there was an exchange that went something like: "Is it true that your heart rate never goes above 80?". The person asking already read his bio (he said so). So this is how we, the viewer, come to learn about this. Actor dude just spits it out for us to hear for no plausible reason. Goodness sakes, try to put some effort into the storytelling.

I'm sure the cinematography was amazing.

18. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Robert The Bruce which was impossible without subtitles!!!

19. it's just me

it's just me Active Member

20. it's just me

it's just me Active Member

Almost walked out of IT 2 because of a scene in the beginning . There really needs to be a new rating warning people of such things.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, that was excellent as well!

22. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

The majority of Netflix movies

conjotter, TheVU, FACE OF BOE and 2 others like this.
  23. Michael

I lasted a bit longer...too loud and not just volume...It wasn't for me but I do love Adam...

24. Michael

first you have to work hard to find one that you won't turn off...they suck the new "found" movies...terrible garbage...Netflix needs to change it's name to WOKEFLIX...

TheVU, yesstiles, Scott222C and 3 others like this.
  25. Michael

curious why Peppermint? we like it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.