New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Later vintage pressings? Do you know where you are? This is Steve Hoffman forum!

2. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Plenty of reasonable people here.

Stencil likes this.
  3. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Well-Known Member

still not happy nor impressed with the 2011 Doug Sax remaster.
    I am lacking the vocabulary to describe my opinion.

I own a german
    064-96 918 / 400 010
    96 918 A3/B3
    pressing that I like more.

This makes me think again which route I should be going with Meddle and Animals.

Though I am on budget I want the best bang for my buck.

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Are you sure it’s the Sax and not the Grundman?

5. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

You’re talking about WYWH I presume. Yes, the German 064 A3/B3 is certainly more impressive: more ‘muscular’ and dramatic. A little overdone in places, but still a much more interesting listen overall.

For Meddle, if you’re on a budget and aren’t impressed with the 2016 masterings then the mid-70s UK -7/-6 HTM pressing is worth considering.

Man at C&A, theMot and Gordon Shumway like this.
  6. Gordon Shumway

yes, it‘ s a 2011 WYWH
    mastered by J.Guthrie, J. Plante & D.Sax

SHVL 814
    0298801 A RE
    BB 48487 -01

7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Hmm.
    It’s actually one or the other, not all, despite the credits on the sticker.
    Maybe someone can chime in here regarding the deadwax.

8. Gordon Shumway

9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Gonna chime in on this discussion. As person who owns all the original 1st UK, US and select German and Japanese along with all the MOFI, CBS and every prior reissue. These reissues are damn fine. IMO they surpass most of the US pressings especially the pre DSOTM titles.
    Unless you have a desire to spend lots trying to find mint first UK pressings and select others buy the reissues and be happy. I only wish the covers and labels would have been faithful to the originals.

Charlie Z., richbdd01, zinan and 9 others like this.
  10. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I purchased a few of the remasters to replace some of the vintage versions(mid to late 70s) I have that were a bit the worse for wear. These were Piper, Saucerful, Meddle, Animals and DSotM. My plan was to sell my vintage versions after I listened to the new ones. First off I was impressed with the delivery. Nice thick vinyl and heavy covers. The vinyl sounded good as well. One thing I didn't like was the cover difference on Animals. It was way too clean and bright. My original cover was dark and kind of grungy. After some comparisons, I found myself being more involved with my older vinyl and I would reach for that before the new ones. Even with the extra pops and crackles. What I ended up doing was selling my newly purchased vinyl and replacing my bad copy of Animals with a much nicer original press. Ive kept the other ones for various reasons, mostly because my Piper and Saucerful is actually A Nice Pair and doesn't have the album version of Astronomy Domine on it. What I'm saying is if you have nothing to compare them to the new releases sound good, but if you have any original presses then the new releases may be a bit wanting for you. Its true that original pressings of some of the albums are rather expensive in great shape. But there are plenty of rereleases that can sound quite good and will still get you an analogue recording for a good price.

11. Gordon Shumway

^^THIS

I cleaned the D.Sax Pressing with my RCM and gave it a full undistracted listening.
    I am fairly new to Floyd and I have heard WYWH for only approx. 5-6 times full length before on my 06496918 german pressing.

I can‘t rule out that it is a self fulfilling prophecy but the D.Sax version did sound brighter, colder, silver and *I dont know the words* to me.
    Usually I close my eyes and on several points in that album it WOWS me.
    This did not happen with the Sax pressing.

Above someone mentioned something about a immediacy that the older records have. I think thats a good way to put it. The Sax versions sounds a little recessed and distant, farer away from me compared to my german pressing. Here the Floyd sings to your face. Its great, I love it.

After I finished the Sax record I put on a freshly washed Animals 1C 054 98 434 to hear that kind of „in your face“ again.

AppleBlossome88 and Stencil like this.
  12. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Exactly. I don't know the words either. I have yet to sell my new pressings of Piper and Saucer. Honestly they sound great and I like having those original covers, but listen to my A Nice Pair more than I listen to the new ones. If you don't have any vinyl Floyd and you want some however, the new releases are the way to go. Conversely, my favorite version of WYWH is the Ap 5.1. So go figure. :shrug:

13. Gordon Shumway

Can you compare this to a Meddle German 1 C 062-04 917 ?

14. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I don’t have that pressing unfortunately. I’ve heard good things about it though.

15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I agree with what you are hearing--the Sax WYWH is a little on the cool side. I actually enjoy it myself--the cooler sound suits the music esp. on side 1, but that is all subjective.

The current in-print WYWH is cut by Bernie Grundman and is definitely warmer.

Gordon Shumway likes this.
  16. Gordon Shumway

The Doug Sax version will get another full listen in the coming days.
    Right now I am on the verge of selling it again.

My german pressing really jumps out of the speakers. Thats beautiful.
    The Sax mix is very tame.

17. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Get the Bernie cut WYWH, definitely closer to the original UK and US version. I had the Sax cut one and never thought it sounded right.

quicksrt likes this.
  18. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I may have to pick up the Bernie because I've never really been happy with the Sax for WYWH.

quicksrt likes this.
  19. blunosr

blunosr Forum Resident

FYI, I finally replaced my noisy 2016 Animals (bought from Amazon and part of the initial run of pressings for that version) with a new one from Indigo. The difference is evident right away. No pops or noise throughout at all. A few very quiet pops that are likely static. What's funny is that there is a little warp in it, just enough to make the cartridge go up and down, but not affecting play so it's a keeper. Good to know there are crystal clean versions out there.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Just a tad dull. Drove me nuts hearing it at a friend's place knowing this album can sparkle more than that.

hi_watt likes this.
  21. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Any comments on the 1997 Vinyl Collection pressings? In all these threads on Pink Floyd vinyl, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone mention them.

'97 Vinyl Collection

22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Based on the Discogs comments, it looks like these were digitally sourced in the 1990s. For the prices they're going for, there are definitely better options. Although the mono Piper is intriguing, if it sounds good, as that price is much lower than the RSD issue. (I still think the UK Nice Pair that uses the same plates as the original UK Piper is the way to go for that album... but it's also the stereo mix....)

You can get the Japanese 1st press of The Wall for less money than that '97 digital cut!! Insane.

hi_watt likes this.
  23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

On the '97 mono CD version, they apparently messed up 'Flaming' - there is a bit missing or something like that (experts please chime in here) so I wouldn't be surprised if the lp version has that as well.

24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Went back and was listening to the 2018 Relics the past two days.

It is one of the winners in the series for sound.

25. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

What is Indigo?

zinan likes this.