Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. deadvoices

deadvoices amused to death

I’d be surprised if AMLOR didn’t get a separate release. Maybe Venice as well.

JulesRules and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am really glad they got to do Live 8. I just wish the format of the show would have allowed them to do more than a 25 minute set.

Once Geldof had secured Pink Floyd he should have made a decision to streamline the show with perhaps 6 acts who each performed 90 minutes plus.

There was a behind the scenes documentary about Live 8 which showed a meeting held with Harvey Goldsmith and other organisers of the show in the run up to the event when Geldof said "who booked f***ing Dido". They should have got rid of the dross.

We could have then had one final full length Pink Floyd show and much like Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day could have been a great way to end the story.

3. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

should of got rid of Snoop Dogg and Ms Dynamite as well or had them play in another country. Dido's performance i thought was ok good rendition of the song 7 seconds. But i agree is a shame they did not do it so the artists had longer sets even a 40 min set the bigger classic acts get an hour Pink Floyd The Who etc

4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Not too shabby!

Just imagining what that must've felt like being there at the show, seeing Gilmour appear singing his part... Goosebumps!

Big Pasi likes this.
  5. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

mate i was there and the roar of the audience when they realized it was David on top of the wall the noise was deafening. After the song the cheer must of lasted for a good 2 mins before the next song. The roar of the audience was so loud i have not experienced a sound like it ever since. It was goosebumps when Roger said Nick was there and he showed up on stage at the end for Outside The Wall. Only time i have seen all members of Pink Floyd (surviving) ones on the same stage. One memory i will never forget.

6. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

A reunion of the Final Cut line-up, no less... ;-)

ARK, JulesRules, mc9 and 3 others like this.
  7. There are a couple of really good recordings of that night May 12, 2011 at the O2. Some of the crowd started chanting Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd about a minute into Comfortably Numb. There was a 30 second gap before The Show Must Go On to let the crowd settle down.

BTW this is not solely from memory I have recently been listening to 2 very good high resolution recordings from May 11 and 12.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Azza200 likes this.
  8. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

My video of Comfortably Numb i also have a video of Brick P2 & Nobody Home

mark renard, zinan, Nimby and 4 others like this.
  9. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yeah, it’s shame that Pink Floyd couldn’t go out with a proper show like Celebration Day or a short run like the Cream gigs at the Albert Hall. I know both David and Roger had tours booked in 2006 but would’ve been nice if they’d managed to follow up Live 8 with a full gig done soon after.

The buzz generated from such a gig would’ve only further helped sell their solo tours and albums the next year but I guess that was never on the cards. I think David mad an exception for Live 8 and that was going to be it. He seemed very happy playing the smaller venues with his band in 2006 without the pressure of Pink Floyd name or the presence of Roger.

Bink, CDS AudioFiles and Azza200 like this.
  10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I think a separate AMLOR package would likely be coming next from the Later Years box. The new stereo remix on CD with the surround mix on Bluray.

11. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

As Azza stated, the roar from the crowd when Dave appeared atop the wall was just insane. It was something I will take to my grave. I remember me and my Dad with our arms round each other belting out Comfortably Numb. My Dad got me into Floyd and he passed away a couple of years ago. I struggle to watch the video of that night without being reduced to tears.

When the concert had finished we sat for a while - partly because we were stunned by what we had seen and partly because my Dad was blind and it was a struggle for him to leave with lots of people pushing and shoving. When we did leave, I was accosted by Colin Patterson, who is the entertainment correspondent for BBC Radio Five Live. He asked me what I thought of the show and I was giddy and gushing about how amazing it was. After a two hour drive home I sat having a beer with my Dad and turned the radio on. They had a fairly long piece about the evening and then interviews with some fans and there I was on the radio gushing about the show. The interview was played again on the radio in the morning and I listened again on the way to work. I still have the interviews saved on my laptop. Its amazing how massive a part this music can play in our lives.

12. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Oh the irony, Rog is the one touring massive stadiums while Dave has retreated into smaller venues with Nick smaller yet.

13. Roger & David May 12, 2011, Comfortably Numb...

Looks (and sounds) almost official.

J_D__ and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

It is official, an extra on Waters Wall tour Blu-ray.

15. Ah, it's on the 2 Disc version.

16. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

thats a great memory to have of you and your dad. I can sort of relate i saw David at the RAH in 2006 30th May and went with my Dad he thoroughly enjoyed the night seeing David live. He died in 2015 when i went too see David in 2016 again at the RAH it was a tough for me as i was thinking of my dad as it was my first concert since he had passed away and was seeing David again at the same venue. I think that is why i get goosebumps watching Echoes and extra's of Comfortably Numb Arnold Layne as they were all taken from the night i went with my Dad on the RTN DVD.
    I got into Pink Floyd thru my Dad as well and his Floyd videos (Pompeii, Knebworth Tv broadcast,, Pulse PPV BBC recording) it was a bond we had after i got into them & when we went too see David in 2006 it was my treat for him.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  17. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i see there are some russian sellers with blu rays and cd's being sold separately....interesting....they sure do like to do that for box sets, don't they?

i often wonder if they are any good, cause the blu rays look really well done. but it's not the "real thing" so it just feels wrong to buy those.
    only russian thing i ever got like this was the Dave Clark Five albums on cd like 15 years ago or so...those were great!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That would've annoyed me. They could've waited till the end of the song.

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Oh no. I'm so, so sorry to read that.

It may seem far off now, but there will come a time when you will be able to enjoy that memory with more smiles than tears. Your dad rocked. I raise my glass to you both.

moodyxadi, ARK, zinan and 6 others like this.
  20. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

Did you go to the night with Bowie, Nick Mason or Mica Paris as the special guest?

My dad was born 94 years before The Wall was released so there was no chance of getting him to even the original tour...

21. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

30th May Mica Paris

croquetlawns likes this.
  22. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

It was a long wait between U2 and Coldplay, with only REM to spice things up, before Pink Floyd - something like 8 hours. It felt like work.

23. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

David once described it as an opportunity to show his children what he used to do - as a final goodbye to Pink Floyd. Roger probably saw it as the start of a big comeback for him : the 1999 US tour was low priced and they weren't sure they'd be arena demand to see him - and in the UK, the tour was again low priced and in arenas. After Live8, Roger shows were high prices and often in stadiums or parks.

24. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Dave's kind of admitting that Pink Floyd's not Pink Floyd without all four members.

25. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Not really, Pink Floyd hadn't played for 11 years at that point : and many of his children were either too young or not born the last time PF had played.