Yamaha A-S801 Or Marantz PM8006?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Mar 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Why?

Funky54 likes this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

could the issue be with the tubes in the Vincent? what are you experiencing? by all accounts the Vincent is not ChiFi but engineered by a quality team in Europe and assembled in china.

Slippers-on likes this.
  3. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

His main concern is two Channel, followed by streaming. The Parrasound is extremely good. The phono stage does mm & MC. For streaming it has all the future proof connections one could want. The power section is very clean. It’s a great little piece of hardware. If you’re a measurement guy compare. The Parasound is just designed for a different more up the chain user. Don’t get me wrong, I love and personnally use a Marantz preamp for my Atmos DTS-X theater... but selling and hearing all three, I’d go Parasound for his application.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and csgreene like this.
  4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

While I might disagree with recommending this Parasound over the Marantz PM8006, this is an informative answer so thank you for elaborating. I couldn't find chassis photos or warranty info on Parasound's site.

5. guestuser

guestuser Chillin

Another happy PM8006 owner here. My system is primarily for digital playback via Qobuz and CD/SACD, and I wanted an analog 2-channel amp with a phono preamp just in case I decide to add a TT later. Got a good deal from Crutchfield's "scratch and dent" inventory but there's not a scratch or dent anywhere on it. :) Sorry I don't have any experience with the Yammy to compare it, but IMHO the Marantz house sound is a good match for digital playback.

dennis1077 and Mindhead1 like this.
  6. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Tube sockets appear to have loose connections to tube pins.

7. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

They are both good units. But make no excuse... they are both solid state. Coming from a tube background he might be a little unsatisfied with any of them. Of the three the Yamaha is the coldest or the most solid state sounding. Marantz is a little warmer but perhaps not as detailed, the Parrasound is both warmer and more detailed than the Yamaha, it almost twice the power too. It’s a very solid well built unit that’s close in price. He says he doesn’t need a DAC.. but if he buys the Parrasound I bet you a good Gastropub burger and Stout that the Parrasound has a better DAC then what he’s using.

8. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

For 2 plus years I thought it was tubes. Every time the problem developed, I put new tubes in and was good to go. Last week when it happened, I took it took the tech that has been taking care of my gear for 20 years. I got the schematics and then asked him to check the voltages on the tubes. The first thing he did without listening was pulled the tubes and put them on extenders and measured the voltages were all in spec. He closed it up, listened to it then called me and said everything was fine. Just the action of pulling the tubes and putting them back cures the problem for a short time. At least I now know what the problem is.

9. rockin_since_58

That is what it seems to me.

10. rockin_since_58

I am using a Denafrips Ares II DAC which is pretty decent sounding to me.

11. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

You can probably bend/tighten the connections with a pin or something similar....make sure you unplug the amp first though!...i enjoy your banter on here lol

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I just went from tubes to solid state and I couldn't be more pleased. Just can't predict the outcome!

The Pinhead, csgreene and jusbe like this.
  13. rockin_since_58

Wouldn't want to take a chance on making worse or killing it altogether.

Glmoneydawg and Ntotrar like this.
  14. rockin_since_58

I have a Mac 1900 for 20+ years and it is 45 years old still going strong and an Onkyo A-9555 that I bought new in 2007 and has worked flawlessly ever since.

Ntotrar likes this.
  15. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

I also have moved from tubes (will always love them). There is something about the latest Marantz Hypex amps that is really rather good, when one gives them a proper listen. Have the PM-10 which I received as a 50th birthday present from my wife. Saving up for an SA-10.

russk, rockin_since_58 and Ntotrar like this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Those power output ratings are not correct. The Parasound NewClassic 200 is rated at both channels driven (0.05% THD, 20 Hz - 20 kHz) 110 watts x 2 @ 4 Ω or 8 Ω (RMS). Those power ratings and dimensions look to be that of the Hint6. But the weight is that of the NewClassic 200. It seems that the specs are mixed between the two units. Very strange.

Model NewClassic 200 Integrated « Parasound
    Model HINT 6 Halo Integrated Amplifier « Parasound

17. Mindhead1

Mindhead1 Forum Resident

I recently picked up a PM8006 from Crutchfield scratch and dent (how I get much of my gear) and can’t find the scratches or dents on it.

The phono stage is excellent with my Debut Carbon Evo and the slight warmth of the amp takes the hard edge off of digital music. I listen to Qobuz via a Raspberry Pi streamer and an Aune X1S DAC I stole from my desk.

guestuser likes this.
  18. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I’m very happy with the A-S801, but the phono stage is useless AFAIC. If that’s even remotely a concern, the Marantz is probably more suitable.

19. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The PM8006 is a crazy good amp with a fantastic Class A phono stage.

I love how they really put the money into a solid analog build and abandoned a lot of stuff I would never use anyway.

What I really want now is to hear the Model 30!

20. rockin_since_58

Unfortunately the PM8006 is currently not available. This would be my choice. I may investigate fixing my existing amp while waiting for it to become available.

21. wgallupe

wgallupe Forum Resident

I don't think there's anything wrong with your Vincent. Based on what I've read above it sounds like you are experiencing intermittent contact between tube pins and tube sockets. Re-tensioning tube sockets is akin to checking and adding air pressure to the tires on your car. Cleaning and then applying some deoxit to the sockets and the tube pins is also a good idea. This is fundamental maintenance for all tube equipment. Especially if you have been removing/reinstalling tubes frequently or tube rolling. With all due respect, if these actions make you nervous then you may be better off with solid state components.

Slimwhit33 and aunitedlemon like this.
  22. rockin_since_58

@wgallupe Thank you for your useful response. I thought about Deoxit but wasn't sure that was okay. I have no problem trying this and I did not know that the tension on the sockets could be adjusted. I will see if I can find some details on how to do this.

23. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Watch this video by Kevin at Upscale audio from about 6:25. He's talking about what Primaluna does with their tube amps sockets not being connected to a PCB. I'm wondering if this could be the problem with the Vincent. All that tube reseating cannot be good for the PCB.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  24. LostArk

LostArk Forum Resident

PM8006 without question.

25. guestuser

guestuser Chillin

There are several reputable retailers that have the PM8006 in stock, including B&H Photo and Audioadviser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.