Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. EHUDson

EHUDson Forum Resident

I haven't heard those exact speakers before. Based on listening sessions with several speakers with ribbon tweeters at AXPONA, I would pair it with the A21+. I remember you stating you would be listening to non audiophile albums which may be harsher in sound. The AHB2 shows every nuance in the highs and is very detailed. The speakers I heard with ribbon tweeters have all shown detailed characteristics. Pairing together may lead to an edgy sound. At the end of a day at work, I want to sit down and have the music groove me.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

There is one negative about the a21+ - it is large, heavy and and requires a fair amount of breathing room to keep cool (mine has less than recommended but never gets moderately warm).
    Picking it up, unboxing (very large box) and installing were more difficult than usual. Since it is staying put that issue is behind me.
    That is the nature of an amp that remains class A operation more than usual and it does have sonic benefits. Go to an audio show and big monster amps are all over the place- even to power demo systems in hotel rooms.

Rick58 and malagacoolers like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

you can't really be sure until you hear the pairings but Ascend Acoustics voices their speakers extremely neutral. neutral can come off sounding lean depending on amplification. in this case i would want an amplifier that leaned toward slightly smoother, warmer and more forgiving. there is little risk that that kind of synergy would be too warm. the smoothness of the Parasound would be the least risk.

Rick58 and malagacoolers like this.
  4. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I'm not sure you will do much better than the HINT internal phono, I suspect it could cost you about $500 to match it...so why spend the money?? You have a $500 pre now so if both sound about the same and even if the HINT pre is a tad bit less resolving than your Van Alstine, is that enough to spend $400-$600?

Have fun

Rick58 likes this.
  5. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I’ve had the JC5 for a little over a year now. I am glad I made the move. Before I retired I wanted to get my system in order. I figured I won’t have the funds later on to buy these kind of toys. The JC5 weighs in at 73 pounds. You want to install it into your rack and forget about it if you can.

It rates 12 watts of Class A power initially. It rates 90 amperes peak current and 400 watts at 8ohms. It is also stable down to 1.5 ohms impedance. If you have cash it is well worth it. If not, the A21+ is a very good choice.

Rick58, pdxway, Monty12 and 1 other person like this.
  6. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

Fair points. :)

7. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

According to the manual, even the lowly A23 runs in class A for a spell but it doesn't specify the turnover point. Does anyone know?

8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

It stays in Class A for up to THREE watts.

Dr. J. and MikeJedi like this.
  9. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Well. Tony at Parasound said they can’t duplicate the popping issue I hear in my amp. I am beginning to wonder if something is happening electrically in my condo. Or something. Sensitive to the amp. I do hook it into my monster hts 2600 power conditioner in the high current outlet with a Pangea AC14. Unless it’s a interaction with that ? Weird. At least the good news nothing seems to be wrong with it. It’s just weird ...I am moving to a new home soon and I upgraded the electrical to 20A. So maybe a new place will help. It’s just strange. ! Lol

Rick58 likes this.
  10. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Don't forget to isolate a circuit specifically for only the audio equipment, the electrician will take care of that for you.:righton:

MikeJedi likes this.
  11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Thinking of upgrading my power cord from the Pangea AC14 to the AC14SE. Since they are still inexpensive. Not sure I need the ac9 plus the ac9 is so unwieldy. Lol. :)

12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Tony said to try hooking the amp directly to the wall to see if it still does it as well. I may swap out the Monster power center for a Audioquest 1200 that I am buying for my 2nd system just to see what it does. The monster power center is like from 2005ish so I suppose sometjjjg could be going in there messing up
    The line I don’t know. The good news is doesn’t sound like the A52 has any issues .. :)

Rick58 likes this.
  13. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

14. EHUDson

EHUDson Forum Resident

I have a question for all Parasound A21+ amp owners. How long did this amp take till you felt like the sound, dynamics and highs/lows balanced out and remained consistent? I have never burned in amp more than 125Watts. This amp being 300W is quite different. I have reported on this thread before that I notice the burn in effect to sound cyclical. Days of increased brightness without deep lows. Then following several days with deep lows with natural highs (absolutely Ideal sounding). I have been playing music for 11 hrs a day for the past 31 days. Thanks!

Rick58 likes this.
  15. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Honestly, you’re there. Changes now are more likely due to your mood, how tired you are, changes in ambient noise level, and variances in the power coming into your house or apartment.

Nice amp/system by the way. Enjoy.

EHUDson and Rick58 like this.
  16. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I have the P5. Tried internal phono stage ( both mm and mc setting), didn't sound good to me.
    At the moment I use 2 external phonostages for 2 TT's, an Arcam Rphono (mm setting) and a Project Tubebox S2 (mc setting), I also have a Project Ds box (and a Puffin which is for sale). All of them are better than the P5 imho.
    So it really doesn't take a lot of money to better the internal phono stage of the P5 which lacks....everything really. Can't comment on the P6 regarding the phonostage but I would be wary...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    terzinator and Pythonman like this.
  17. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I agree, the P5 phono section is a convenience and little more. It’s clear and reasonably detailed but the gain is too low in MC and MM. I’m using that stage now for my second table running a Denon DL103 and the gain is so weak I really have to crank the volume up and there’s some resultant white ish noise that gets amplified with the signal.

bever70 likes this.
  18. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Tried a Denon DL103 as well with it, it sounds totally lifeless! Any of my other preamps and it sings and screams it's heart out :D.

Pythonman likes this.
  19. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Sorry to 'hear' about the P 5 phono stage, and don't know anything about the P 6. I have a P 7, which is a different beast, designed by a Finnish guy who had something to do with Lyngdorf Room Correction? but the P 7 is all analog, no digital stuff in there. I use a Denon DL-160 with my stock vintage Thorens TD-145, and it sounds great to me. I have NO other references tho aside memory of the McIntosh C220 which was (to me) glorious. I can't say if the P 7 equals the C220 or not, but it sounds good to me, and since vinyl is currently a secondary source I'm not worried about it.

Years ago, I did some comparisons with the C220 (vinyl vs. digital sources playing (as far as I could ascertain) the 'same' recordings/material), and found for all intents and purposes they sounded identical to me. Aside a bit of surface noise of course.

That was with some previous components, I plan on repeating that test at some point. Not that my system and ears are THAT discerning ... but if something's more than incidentally amiss WRT soundstaging, musicality, etc., I think I could spot it.

20. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I am very, very keen to get hold of an A21 at a sensible used price. There is one on the 'Bay but the guy is asking too much. He's listed it 4 or 5 times over and over at the same asking price and nobody has bought it. You'd think he'd clock he's asking too much...

21. terzinator

on the phono stage, I picked up a minty Graham Slee Era Gold V off USAM.

So far so good with my Shure V15 type IV.

22. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I see a number of A21s on sale at Ebay. There is also an A21+ for a reasonable price.

23. terzinator

24. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

The AC14 cords are for source components, not high current amps per the manufacturer. The AC9 is their amp cord. You could check out the Audience Forte F3 power cord for an amp. It is 10awg and very flexible. About $150 I think.
    Audience Forte F3 PowerChord

MikeJedi likes this.
  25. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Truthfully, as good as my A21 was it always seemed in a state of flux. It sounded agreeable here and there and then for days it sounded IDK, not very enjoyable. Recently I’d hooked it back up to my new Focal speakers and it sounded great. After a weeks running it sounded kind of flat and sterile and lost texture. Annoyed by the feeling I’d been through 18 months of that thinking it was still breaking in after I bought it I unhooked it, boxed it all up and sold it the next day. Put the Pass amp back into the system and all is well once again.

EHUDson likes this.