Forgotten Sequels

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Mar 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

2. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

What's odd is how big a box-office hit some of these (crappy) sequels were.

As examples, Jaws 2 was the 7th biggest film in the US in 1978, and Staying Alive was 8th in 1983.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Jaws 2" doesn't surprise me, as that one seemed like a decent hit back then. "Staying Alive" is a surprise since it felt like a bomb.

If you got those #s from BoxOfficeMojo, I'd take them with a grain of salt too - at least for 1978, since box office wasn't as closely tracked in the public back then. For instance, it claims $35 million US for "Midnight Express", whereas Wiki says that's the worldwide total.

The 1983 #s are probably more accurate, but I'm still surprised by "Staying Alive". Apparently it did better than "Vacation" and "Risky Business", movies that actually felt like hits!

4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

Wow, I never heard of this.
    TV sequel movies oh God I just remembered that reunion Odd Couple movie...ecch that was TERRIBLE...

mmars982 likes this.
  5. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

On the television sequel front, there was also Splash, Too:

Splash, Too (TV Movie 1988) - IMDb

Jimmy B. likes this.
  6. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The Nutty Professor (2008): A direct CGI sequel to The Nutty Professor (1963) featuring Harold Kelp (played by Drake Bell), the grandson of Julius Kelp (played by Jerry Lewis, who played Kelp in the original movie). It was an enjoyable movie but it didn't get much attention. At the time of release it held the record for the longest gap in time for an actor (Jerry Lewis) to play the same role in two movies (45 years).

8. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Problem Child 2 :D

9. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

On that note, a lot of horror:

The Hidden II
    White Noise 2 (better than the first)
    Stir of Echoes 2
    The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia (love the title)
    Night of the Ghouls (sequel to Plan 9)
    976-EVIL II
    Curse of the Fly (1965)

And a lot of low rent comedies:

Inspector Gadget 2
    The Tooth Fairy 2
    Jingle All the Way 2
    Munchie Strikes Back
    Killer Tomatoes Eat France

Some action with new stars:

Timecop 2
    Kickboxer 2
    No Retreat No Surrender 2 & 3
    4 Smokey and the Bandit sequels

For most unknown sequel to a famous film the one for Rosemary's Baby takes the cake. Never released on a legit DVD.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    JediJones likes this.
  10. SmallDarkCloud

It's not a great movie, but 986-Evil II has one good, inventive scene. A character is watching It's a Wonderful Life on television, and gets sucked into the television set. She's stuck inside the final scene of the movie (the actress is composited in), which suddenly changes to a scene from Night of the Living Dead. Both movies are in the public domain, so it probably didn't cost the production a cent (aside from the trick photography), and it's very well done. The movie's honestly worth seeing once just for that scene (the rest is pretty forgettable).

11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Do you mean this one:

[​IMG]

I thought it wasn't exactly terrible, but it is very disappointing compared to the excellent Grumpy Old Men movies, plus with Neil Simon actually being involved it should have been better.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  12. R79

R79 Forum Resident

Silent Night Deadly Night had 4 sequels (only parts 2 and 3 are related though, 4 and 5 are standalone films). There's also a sequel to the 1982 film Class of 1984 called Class of 1999 that gives it a sci-fi setting and Malcolm McDowell, but no Michael J Fox or Alice Cooper theme song.

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

No,
    I - sorry, I got confused; what I was thinking of wasn't a sequel, unless you count a TV movie following on a TV show years later - I found it, it was called The Odd Couple: Together Again.
    It was really dire - Jack Klugman was suffering from throat cancer, so obviously nothing about the movie was funny (he had almost no voice at all), but it didn't belong in this thread. My error.

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I thought you probably meant the TV show. I think it counts.

I remember seeing some clips of them doing the play after Klugman had lost his voice due to the cancer. It was sad to see but I guess glad he could still perform. Never saw the Together Again show though.

15. JediJones likes this.
  16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Don't forget to forget "Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure".

mmars982, neo123 and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  17. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

To Sir With Love II

18. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Bride of the Reanimator

Veronica Mars and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  19. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

French Connection II and The Sting II have to be the most forgotten sequels to best picture winners.

For direct sequels: Son of Kong (1933) and King Kong Lives (1986)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  20. R79

R79 Forum Resident

Slap Shot 2 and 3.

21. SmallDarkCloud

Bride of Re-Animator is pretty good, too. Not as great as the original, but it's a fun variation on Bride of Frankenstein, with a feminist theme. There is a third movie, Beyond Re-Animator, which I've avoided. It was made for the Sy Fy network (or debuted there, anyway), which is rarely a good sign.

22. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Looking at the titles it’s understandable why most of them have been forgotten.

23. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Class of 1999 is fun, better than 1984 IMO.

For most (WTF) amount of sequels you have 15 sequels to Witchcraft (1988.)

Amityville has a bizillion, but hard to tell which are legit.

Some Western film series had tons in a short amount of time:
    The Durango Kid (1940 - 1952) had 64 movies!!!
    The Three Mesquiteers (1936 - 1943) had 51 films in only 7 years!!!!

JediJones likes this.
  24. SmallDarkCloud

Technically, none of the Amityville sequels are legitimate sequels to the original. The name The Amityville Horror can be trademarked, but the name Amityville cannot, as it’s the name of a pre-existing town. Anyone can make a film with a sinister house and windows that look like eyes, and slap the name Amityville on the title. Some of the “sequels” don’t even have the house. I think there’s over twenty now.

Amityville II: The Possession, which I like much more than the original, is vaguely inspired by the real life murders, not the alleged haunting, but it moves into supernatural territory as well. Amityville: It’s About Time (the fourth or fifth one) is also pretty good.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I went through the list of BP winners and came up with these as the only ones to inspire sequels:

-Silence of the Lambs
    -Terms of Endearment
    -Rocky
    -Godfather Part II
    -Sting
    -Godfather
    -French Connection
    -In the Heat of the Night
    -Going My Way

Maybe I missed some, but I think that's it.

I view the "ToE" sequel as the most forgotten... because if it hadn't come up in this thread, I would've forgotten it existed.

I remember the existence of the others!

"Godfather Part II" is probably the most famous of the BP sequels, but you could argue for a "Rocky" sequel instead...

JediJones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.