Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Unfortunately, Jerry butchers the counterpoint riff with Phil on Morning Dew with no fewer than three brutal mistakes in less than ten seconds from 5:25-5:34. It's little written parts like these that compliment the ensuing improvisation and when they're badly clammed, I'm out. Coulda been a contender.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

There is a clam in your post!

sami, anth67, Coltrane811 and 2 others like this.
  3. Archtop

A clam or a Klamm? Duly unclammed.

anth67 likes this.
  4. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

5. bzfgt

You didn't get the one I noticed, which is "compliment" (as opposed to the correct "complement"). Ordinarily I wouldn't point something like that out, but I was amused since it was a post about arguably somewhat the musical equivalent of a typo (a wrongly played composed part).

I actually clammed my post too, at first typing "there's a claim in your post," which I was tempted to leave, but decided was too many layers...

sami, sparkmeister, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

5/19/77 came into circulation as a soundboard a few years before 5/22/77 and then 5/28/77 got out.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  7. Archtop

The notable differences being that I don't have 1,000,000 fans and don't get paid for this, but point taken.

bzfgt likes this.
  8. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

DP 3 is a great show. I wish they would release it in full. Damn, those 77 Betty Boards sound like multi-tracks. She sure had the touch.

9. bzfgt

Yes that's often how these things go. I think a really great underrated one is Baltimore from 5-26....there's a New Haven one in there somewhere too...I haven't seriously listened to the May Sugarees since around 2010, though...

Doggiedogma likes this.
  10. bzfgt

Not the point!....so point not taken!

11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The point is taken, the beast is moulting, the fluff gets up your nose. The illusion is complete; it is reality, the reality is illusion and the ambiguity is the only truth.

trd, bzfgt and Archtop like this.
  12. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

I miss @scribbs. I can’t follow any of this.

13. Archtop

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

<div style="position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%;height:0;overflow:hidden;"> <iframe style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px;overflow:hidden" frameborder="0" type="text/html" src="Dailymotion Video Player - RAF Banter - Monty Python's Flying Circus " width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen allow="autoplay"> </iframe> </div>

trd and bzfgt like this.
  15. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

I asked this in the Grateful Thread a while back (don't think I got a definitive answer). Did they ever play Terrapin Station without the Lady With A Fan part more than once since 2/26/77 or was 5/22/77 the only unique time it happened?

16. bzfgt

Whoa...uncanny

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Weird

or shld I say Wierd.

bzfgt likes this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I think that was the only time.

Harp Of Glass and trd like this.
  19. Archtop

When considering matters of errata, context is everything; hence I respectfully disagree with the expunged miscreantexalted ruler. On a more positive note, 5/22/77 does contain one of the best versions of Slipknot!, which, along with KSM/STDOMTT represent the best post-hiatus compositions and performances. For the record, the top five Slipknot!s (that looks weird, dunnit?) are, in order:
    1. 2/26/77;
    2. 6/9/77;
    3. 5/22/77;
    4. 5/9/77; and
    5. 12/31/76

20. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

4/24 has my all-time favorite Tennessee Jed and China>Rider. I can listen to those two all day long.
    The Dark Star is amazing as well.

21. Archtop

jay.dee, jmadad and bzfgt like this.
  22. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

jay.dee, jmadad and Archtop like this.
  23. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

Released shortly after Hundred Year Hall, Dick's Picks 3 was a gem. Jerry was gone and most fans were thrilled with any official live release.

This was the first official release from May 1977 - a month so hot it has since had 2 box sets devoted to it.

I remember buying a money order and sending it in the mail to buy my copy of this. I had a few tapes at this point in my life - most were late 80's to mid 90's shows, taped right off the radio with static and everything. Somehow I had obtained a SBD of 2/26/77 and learned that 1977 was a special year for the Dead making this release a must buy.

It did not disappoint. I'm not a big fan of Lazy Lightning>Supplication but even this version rocks.

I was excited that this included Help>Slip>Franklin - a combo which was a favorite because of One From the Vault. This one is a great version - perhaps the definitive 70's version(?).

Music Never Stopped, Dancing in the Street, Estimated>Eyes>Wharf>Terrapin> AM Dew - all killer....no filler

24. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

Yeah, this one sticks out and kinda hurts. But being that it's surrounded by so much perfection, I can be very forgiving with things like this.

On a side note, I also think this is not the only Dew where this happens. Don't know from memory which ones... Maybe you should compile them? I am sure you'd enjoy the task. :p :D

:)

Archtop, Al Gator and bzfgt like this.
  25. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

DP3 might be my favourite DP. I think I heard it before May 8th. I only found out it was an incomplete show much later. When I first heard May 8th, I remember being disappointed that it didn't have The Music Never Stopped and Help/Slipnot/Franklin because they are so great.

Now I see these shows as complimenting each other. Both have awesome versions of Dancing in the Streets, it's hard to say which one I like best. May 22 has the better Morning Dew though.

Being late to the game, I only recently acquired a second hand copy. I found one on Discogs for 20 euro+shipping. Only to find out that instead of the original covers it had poorly copied ones when I received it, along with the original covers for DP1. I received a 15 euro refund and printed higher quality covers myself, so still not a bad deal.

I hadn't played it in a while but the memories came back straight away. Such a great release.