Opinions on Pop Punk?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lettheflamesbegin, Apr 3, 2021.

1. lettheflamesbegin

lettheflamesbegin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bands such as

Blink-182
    Paramore
    Green Day
    My Chemical Romance

and the like. Good or bad?

Big Thier likes this.
  2. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I like Green Day

I love:
    The Queers
    The Muffs
    The Mr T Experience

Big Blue, bmoc79, starduster and 6 others like this.
  3. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

doesn't get much better than this:

bmoc79, vinnie, keef00 and 3 others like this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Blondie?

5. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Love/hate for me. When I’m in the mood for some Green Day/B182, I really enjoy it. When I’m not, it sorta drives me nuts.

I definitely listened to more of that stuff when I was a teenager full of anxt than I do now. I occasionally get nostalgic for it though because my friends and I listened to that stuff a lot in high school.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  6. 57 Goldtop

57 Goldtop Forum Resident

If America had had the ears for Buzzcocks in 1978 - 1979, Green Day and the others would have been unnecessary.

jacchank, Tanx, BradB and 12 others like this.
  7. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

8. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

I'm not too harsh on it, as EVERY teenage band starts by doing covers of whomever they admire or whatever. They want to find their sound, and of course its going to be derivative of whatever the cool kids are listening to; I think we all go thru that stage. Yes, its a re-hash, but the 'yutes need an outlet to channel those weird feelings inside of them, and copying your 'heroes' is as valid a method of initial artistic growth as any method or schooling. Its harmless fun, and that makes it rocknroll...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    bmoc79, entropyfan and vamborules like this.
  9. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

The Buzzcocks are marvelous, but if you follow that logic, a lot of artists and bands from all sort of genres would have been unnecessary.

Man at C&A, bmoc79, Aftermath and 8 others like this.
  10. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

Melodic punk with pop influences and actual grit? Often pretty great, I love stuff like Ramones and Descendents.

The kind of watered down pop-punk that Blink-182 popularized and continues to become blander and blander with each decade? No thanks.

11. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

The Nerves, The Plimsouls, Paul Collins' Beat

tralfaz812 likes this.
  12. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

These kids are currently the greatest thing ion pop punk. Just signed to Fueled by Ramen and I predict they are gonna be huge:

bmoc79, wrat, wwright and 2 others like this.
  14. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

2000s era pop punk/post hardcore/emo music is too enjoyable, but I lived through that so yeah, I like Panic, FOB, Blink 182, MCR, Green Day

In like 10 minute doses, mind you. Some of the more matured bands in the post punk revivial era, The Killers and Interpol for example I have some time for

But let's be real here

SOMEONE PLAYED A BEACH BOYS SONG ON THE JUKEBOX IT WAS CALIFORNIA DREAMIN SO WE STARTED SCREAMIN ON SUCH A WINTERS DAY.

Chazzbo13 and JuanTCB like this.
  15. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I'll take it on a song by song basis.

gitters likes this.
  16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That type of stuff - dreadful imho. As the song goes:

"Yes that's right, punk is dead
    It's just another cheap product for the consumers' head
    Bubblegum rock on plastic transistors
    Schoolboy sedition backed by big-time promoters"

I have nothing against brilliant pop punk though like Buzzcocks, The Undertones, that type of thing.

17. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I was listening to the second greatest pop-punk band (after the Buzzcocks) when this thread popped up.

18. Restuarte

Restuarte Well-Known Member

Yes, if beatles was big in the 60's, we wouldnt be talking about badfinger, raspberries and big star here

GarySteel and ARK like this.
  19. Django

Django Forum Resident

Yeah I like a few tunes by green day, blink, sum41 never heard a full album, but some good singles.
    Never liked MCR. Paramore....they had a good looking singer. That's all I know.

20. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Though one could make a solid argument those last 3 were unnecessary.

21. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Green Day and Blink - when they were good they were very good. Then they weren't.

Eliminator Jr. likes this.
  22. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

I prefer my pop punk bitter.

Mrsharko and ghoulsurgery like this.
  23. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

I was pretty heavily into the scene when it was current. A lot of these bands grew up listening to Pennywise, NOFX, Bad Religion, etc. and kind of smoothed out the rough edges for mass commercial consumption, which isn't an entirely bad thing so long as you're not hobbled by some notion of punk "authenticity".

Case in point, Blink. If you look at their records as, well, records, there's a lot to admire. Some of their mid-period stuff is like a master class in catchy ("What's My Age Again", "Story of a Lonely Guy", etc.) The usage of contrapuntal vocal hooks, pedal point and well-chosen guitar arpeggios can and has been effective well outside of the domain of pop punk.

Looking back on the scene now, I tend to remember songs more than bands in a lot of cases. I also tend to associate the more "pure" pop punk stuff with the concurrent mall-emo groups, nearly all of which featured the requisite screaming guitarist. Even that stuff could be pretty decent from time to time. (Zebrahead, anybody?)

Big Thier and Freek999 like this.
  24. I love "Goldfinger".

bmoc79 likes this.
  25. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Paramore's Paramore album is one the best albums of the 2010s, I'd say top 10 in the decade. You owe it to yourself to check it out. You're missing out.