' Godzilla Versus Kong '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed!

2. Michael

OMG! perfect match up...2 of my favorites! Frances & John! love the Coen's as well...I'm just full of love! : )

Jerry likes this.
  3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I paid nothing, for full disclosure.

GLUDFSSR and wayneklein like this.
  4. Michael

: )

5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Just walk down the action figures aisle at Walmart-There are/were Gozilla and Kong figures aplenty, even before the film was released...

Nephrodoc and hi_watt like this.
  6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The movie has reportedly made 70 million $ in China already. Good or bad, it looks to be a hit.

7. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I'll give the movie a solid 5.5 -- I like the idea of Godzilla vs Kong, but I can only take so much ship sinking, plane destroying and office tower smashing. And, one thing I'll never understand is why those foot soldiers continue to shoot at those gigantic monsters with rifles and machine guns.

Lee Davis and hi_watt like this.
  8. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

So bad it was almost good ... almost but not quite.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

They can't find an Oxygen Destroyer. :)

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Completely preposterous movie. Couldn’t have enjoyed it more. It knows what it is and does it well. I can watch Citizen Kane tomorrow night.

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Unbelievable special effects...zero plot sense.

So far these reboot movies...

Godzilla 1/10
    Kong: Skull Island 8/10
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3/10
    Godzilla vs Kong 2/10

12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I totally ignored that one, but now I'm putting it on my list.

Curveboy likes this.
  13. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I thought Kong: Skull Island was redeemed by a pretty good cast. Hardly high art but was watchable.

I rented Gozilla: King of the Monsters and thought it was so bad I barely made it to the end. I'm trying to find a reason to see G vs K but can't find one.

Scott222C and hi_watt like this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

King of the Monsters had a decent story, it's just the dialog was so terrible I was really wondering if the writers just asked a group of five year olds to play/act it out so they could write it down.

15. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I also thought Skull Island was decent, I mean it has Samuel Jackson & John C Reilly, come on !

16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

17. Ah it looked fine.
    yeah Kong: Skill Island was a pretty good movie with some good humor.

Curveboy likes this.
  18. That was my issue with it. I actually thought Godzilla was better than you did.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Some signs of life at the box office.

The film has earned $27.9 million in its first three days alone at the U.S. box office, by far the best showing of the pandemic.
    Godzilla vs. Kong continued to score the best opening numbers of the pandemic at the North American box office, grossing another $11.6 million on Friday for a three-day total of $27.9 million.

That puts the Legendary and Warner Bros. tentpole on track to post a five-day debut of $42 million by the end of Easter weekend in a needed boost for the ravaged theatrical business.

That's by far the biggest showing since the COVID-19 crisis commenced. Godzilla vs. Kong is playing in 3,064 theaters, a pandemic-era high.

Still, the North American box office continues to face major challenges in attempting to recover.

More than 93 percent of the U.S. marketplace is now in play, but only 24 percent of Canada, according to Warner Bros. Many cinemas have limited capacity including in Los Angeles and New York City. On Tuesday, Los Angeles County officially entered the Orange Tier, but won't be allowed to up capacity from 25 percent to 50 percent until April 5.

20. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Saw this picture last night. I had really been looking forward to it. It is very much told from Kong's perspective (fine by me, that's who I came in rooting for), while Godzilla is more of a distant, baleful presence at the start. But Godzilla when he first appears is pretty cool too -- he's like a combination of a stegosaur and mosasaur with of course the radioactive breath.

It was pretty good, pretty enjoyable, though I have to admit I was looking for a bit more. Not that it matters much, but the deeper premise (there exist titans that come from the middle of the Earth, which is hollow; they emanate from some unique power source which can be reached in the hollow Earth by crossing an inversion of gravity; they are compelled by some natural law to fight in a tournament of mortal combat) is just batty nonsense, and derivative batty nonsense at that (recall "Pacific Rim"). Plus, about half the dialogue is just the screenwriter explaining to you what's going on, and the parallel story (the inside-the-fortress segment), though it includes what are arguably the more interesting human characters, is almost completely irrelevant. But the movie looks good, Kong especially. Kong and Godzilla go at it three times, and I won't give away anything else, other than that I ate a full pack of Twizzlers and about 2/3 of the large tub of popcorn.

The Revealer, chrischerm and Shawn like this.
  21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Jumbo package Twizzlers?

SBurke likes this.
  22. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Ha, good question, no, the movie-theater size, which is basically in the middle, so bigger than the standard package (I used to think of this as the "40-cent size," tells you how old I am), but smaller than the bulk package.

OK, so I looked it up to be precise. Why did I look it up? I don't know. But I'm sitting in front of the computer listening to some relaxing music. Anyhow, there are many different sizes of Twizzlers packages! The standard size is 2.5 oz. Bulk packages then run from 7 oz., to 16 oz., to 24 oz.: TWIZZLERS Twists Strawberry Flavored Candy, 2.5 oz bag (hersheyland.com)

The theater size apparently is 5 oz.: Twizzlers Theater Size Candy - 12 / Case - Candy Favorites

I should be thankful, I suppose, that at the theater I overpay for only 5 ounces of candy. Nothing would have stopped me there, not even an expectation of regret, if I had a 7 oz. or 12 oz. bag.

23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Somebody dropped the ball on the marketing side. Should have rebranded them Godzizzlers. And don't feel too old. When I was a kid, standard size candy bars were a nickel, penny candy was available everywhere and the original King Kong vs. Godzilla was a first run film. Yikes!

SandAndGlass and SBurke like this.
  24. Michael

nice...

25. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

See it to satisfy your curiousity if nothing else.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021