The Nash vs. Crosby Feud

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Autotune Sucks, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

Uh-oh, were you just cracking a joke, as in Paul is dead (from the Beatles days??) If so, I just got the joke. Oops... I thought you were being literal.

2. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

Sorry about that...(It was funny.)

3. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Well, one of them was recorded as a Byrds song...

4. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

A little outside of the feud conversation, but related: If you haven't seen it, watch "Laurel Canyon," 2 seasons (so far) on Epix. SPECTACULAR documentary, pieced together from anyone's and everyone's (that includes rounding up fans who took photos and video during that time), films/photos of the first days of the American music/hippie explosion of the 60's, percolating in Laurel Canyon. Tons of CSNY and many other icons. (I think the 2 seasons were completed in 2019.) Very, very well done. "Echo Canyon" is pretty good, as well.

5. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

Additionally, Terry Melcher, their producer, liked Roger, disliked David, and deliberately refused to put David's songs on the albums.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

"Dolphin's Smile" too, right?

7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Their performances seem to be all over the map. I saw them on that tour in the Twin Cities. They were quite fantastic. But I have seen various clips of their live performances that were quite dreadful. People think drugs and alcohol make them smarter, more creative etc. But observers know better. A person under the influence think they are quite charming.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  8. Dovetail7

Along similar lines, see Echoes of the Canyon film?

9. Dovetail7

There's a fine line for just that optimum mix of substances, hard to attain, harder to maintain.

piepants, Bryan Harris and zebop like this.
  10. Dovetail7

Especially because neither McGuinn nor Hillman were especially prolific, no doubt! and that's whether the 12-string Rickenbacker was prominent or not, in fact, such material might well have allowed the sound of the Byrds to evolve
    without it---which it did later NywY on Dr. Byrds and Easy Rider

11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'm interested in that period, but I thought Echo in the Canyon was dreadful. It was very stingy with archival footage and the modern covers ( mostly by artists I like) of the older songs were boring and lifeless.

i haven't seen the Epix show, but I'll check it out one of these days.

rockerreds and Dovetail7 like this.
  12. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident Thread Starter

You're right...forgot about "Laughing" being on the 1973 reunion album. Of course, that was a fairly forgettable album in itself.

13. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I actually like the Byrds Reunion album as well as the first McGuinn Clark and Hillman album.

csnfan, ted321, carlwm and 1 other person like this.
  14. Dovetail7

Gene Clark is the star of the former, while the latter has an interesting backstory that Hillman tells in his book (read that?)!?!

15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Weird that two Neil Young songs were included on that album, just as many as were on Deja Vu.
    So he even dominated bands that he was never a member of....

ARK and MongrelPiano like this.
  16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I really like the Hillman songs on the reunion album, though Chris doesn't seem overly fond of them, himself.

Apart from one of the covers, I think the whole album is great. I had no idea about its poor reputation until I joined this forum.

17. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Echo In The Canyon was a waste of time & money for me.

JoeF. likes this.
  18. Dovetail7

May I ask which cover ?

carlwm likes this.
  19. Dovetail7

Even the moment Crosby jokes about being booted from the Byrds because he was an *******?

carlwm likes this.
  20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

From what I remember of Johnny Rogan’s Timeless Flight book, no-one either in or around the Byrds liked Crosby. Everyone regarded him as an almighty pain in the rear-end, without a single redeeming feature. Quite why it took McGuinn and Hillman so long to fire him is a subject of amazement to me. Ditto, with the barely competent drummer Michael Clarke.

Tom Daniels likes this.
  21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The best line was when Crosby --being interviewed by Jacob Dylan -- said something to the effect, "....so we were playing at Ciro's and one night Dylan walks in...", to which Jacob replies, " Be more specific."

ARK, painted8, Hep Alien and 7 others like this.
  22. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

Probably the archival "Birds" from the Deja Vu 50th box

carlwm likes this.
  23. Dovetail7

That was MY favorite moment!?!?!

JoeF. likes this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Cowgirl In The Sand.

They do it well enough but I'm not overly keen on the song.

zobalob likes this.
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Cheers! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.