Forgotten Sequels

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Mar 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Yeah, I forgot about The Evening Star. Reminds me of Texasville, the sequel to The Last Picture Show.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    JediJones and Oatsdad like this.
  2. More of a Prequel Butch and Sundance: The Early Years

JediJones likes this.
  3. R79

R79 Forum Resident

The Troll films are hardly memorable, but not only are there multiple sequels, there are 2 films both called Troll 3, none of which have anything to do with the original (or the sequel which is also unrelated).

Veronica Mars likes this.
  4. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

I remember liking it at the time but watched it recently and it was crap.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  5. It’s clearly is part of the more is less syndrome. I largely feel the same about the “Hellraiser” sequels.

6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

French Connection II is a perfect sequel - as good as the first yet not a rehash. It’s far from forgotten. Lumping it in with The Sting II suggests you need to rewatch it.

Bluesman Mark and wayneklein like this.
  7. Indeed, “The French Connection” manages to do something rare-build on the narrative of the first film and deepen character of Popeye Doyle. Frankie heifer was the perfect director for the sequel and it is overlooked unfairly IMHO much as Friedkin’s remake of “The Wages of Fear” ‘sorcerer” was overlooked by many at the time it was released.

8. For “King Kong Lives” it’s such a bad film it deserves to be forgotten. ‘Son of Kong” at least had its charms even if it doesn’t add to the legacy of the original film.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  9. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

The Leprechaun series would probably fall into the same sort of minor interest horror category that has inexplicably spawned 7 sequels to the original film.

Including gems such as: "Leprechaun 4: In Space" and "Leprechaun in the Hood".

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

King Kong Lives is a "so bad it's good" movie for me.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. The Hud

RoboCop 3

I actually don't remember if I have seen it or not, but if I have, my brain is protecting me from remembering anything about it.

12. It is pretty bad. I haven’t had the courage to watch it since it arrived on Blu ray.

13. The Hud

I didn't know it made it to BD, I will have to check it out.

14. It’s a region free import as I recall

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

SmallDarkCloud and glennzo like this.
  16. The Hud

If you find a link, could you send it my way? I can't find it.

17. Ah crap. I was mistaken. I saw a link for Lives after reading about the forthcoming Shout King Kong. Sorry to get your hopes up!

18. The Hud

No worries, Kong 76 isn't much better than Lives.

19. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Holy cow, that's Dolph Lundgren in the Arnie role!

On paper, it's not the worst idea in the world....

20. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Not quite inexplicable - the first few direct-to-video sequels minted money for Trimark, selling in huge numbers. Hence the sequels - some of them are stupid fun if you’re on the right wavelength.

21. SmallDarkCloud

It’s pretty bad (though 2 wasn’t much better). By this point, Robocop was the star of an animated cartoon and a Marvel comic book, so the director, Fred Dekker, was pressured to make this one more child-friendly. Once the robot samurai shows up you know this movie’s far away from the original.

Dekker previously made two great movies (Night of the Creeps and The Monster Squad), but he could only do so much with the studio’s demands.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    The Hud likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"RoboCop 2" and "3" are both wholly awful movies.

Virtually no redeeming value to either, though I think there's been a semi-reappraisal of "2" that's made it less loathed in recent years...

wayneklein likes this.
  23. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

That brought back a memory of packing & shipping physical copies of the soundtrack,probably one copy each to Best Buy,when I was a schlub in a BMG warehouse.
    Just did a Wiki check on the credits and found that both John Slattery & January Jones both had parts in it. A couple of years later,both starred in Mad Men and,bonus useless trivia,LionsGate distributed and,through acquisitions, probably owns both properties. Slattery gets to play the girl's father. In the real Dirty Dancing, Broadway great and Lennie Briscoe ,Jerry Orbach was the dad and.yes,steals every scene. First time I saw the original,Orbach was the joy to watch!
    Other fun and not-so-fun facts about 2,which ,by judging reviews,could have been titled "Dookie".
    Host of NPR's Wait,Wait,Don't Tell Me,got a writer credit for work he did years before,but resulted in zero lines kept in the final film.
    Patrick Swayze,has a brief credited moment-yes,as a dance instructor.
    And the female lead,Romola Garai, had one of the infamous Harvey Weinstein bathrobe meet & greets since Miramax was co-producing. The actress was 18.

24. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

The Return of the Musketeers. Directed by Richard Lester and released theatrically in Europe in 1989, 15 years after his first 2 Musketeers movies. It did so poorly that Universal passed on a U.S. theatrical release and premiered it on USA Network in 1991. The only thing remembered about the movie is the sad fact that Roy Kinnear died as a result of falling off a horse that slipped during production. Wikipedia says the Spanish crew misunderstood their instructions and wetted down the street before the scene was shot.

Mannequin Two: On the Move. And extra points for that one because it was theatrical, not a TV-movie or direct-to-video. Despite ripping off the original plot the script has 4 credited writers.

I'm not sure how many of these are remembered:
    Critters 2: The Main Course
    Critters 3
    Critters 4: They're Invading Your Space
    Critters Attack!

Troll 2 is probably the much rarer case of a well-known sequel with a forgotten original movie. Troll 2 is of course famous as a "Plan 9"-style camp classic and an internet meme generator. Although I believe it was another horror movie that was not made as a sequel and just had the sequel title slapped on for marketing purposes. I think it was called Goblins originally.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Welshman likes this.
  25. SmallDarkCloud

JediJones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.