Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I agree. Although I thought Chloe looked great in the "Emory Studio" dance class sketch.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  2. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

This was a bright spot:

3. I wish it had been Nick Jonas. Lyrically and visually, Jack Harlow was pretty forgettable, even with Adam Levine (always a sure boost for securing some legit rap cred :rolleyes: ) propping him up on his second number. Eminem he’s definitely not. Next...

D-rock and Shawn like this.
  4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I'm ALWAYS up for Bowen Yang's "YASSSSS QUEEN!" at the Update Desk and Punkie Johnson was pretty great during the opening monologue.

#notreally

5. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I thought the "Boomers Got the Vax" music video was pretty funny.

Dan C, Spencer R, aorecords and 3 others like this.
  6. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Not to mention Cecily Strong in the "Barfly Awards" sketch.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I misread the title of that sketch as the "Barf-ly Awards" :p

The Slug Man and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Good comedy is when a bit stikes at the heart of the moment, like the opener. Genius comedy is when somebody says "What if we had Beyonce eating hot wings?" Maya makes me laugh and she did several times. Did anyone think the dance studio sketch was working or that it was so odd that what the heck? Once again I enjoyed the musical shorts. If anybody is going to get me into rap it'll be Pete.

9. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I was disappointed with the writing for the Kamala sketch. You're telling me the writers knew they had Maya and Martin Short playing those characters and that was the best they could come up with??!!

Not to mention, that's not Doug Emhoff's personality at all.

jpelg, Matthew Tate and Shawn like this.
  10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Written by Emily Spivey, too. Why she guest-wrote to give us that, idk. It was supposed to be the cold open.

The dance studio one was probably James Anderson, who is mostly gone, finally, with Kent Sublette. Never a good pairing. They're decent apart, but not together.

Shawn likes this.
  11. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

That was one long unfunny episode. Nothing seemed to work.

The musical guest. whose name I already forgot, looked and sounded like a parody.

OldSoul, Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The dance studio sketch struck me as a private joke between Maya and Kenan that was more fun for them to perform than it was for the audience to watch.

Boomers Got the Vax was funny, and, as someone noted above, the production values of the show’s pre-recorded musical numbers are pretty consistently amazing. While Pete Davidson imitating Eminem is low-hanging fruit, I did find the “NFT” musical number pretty funny as well.

Jack Harlow was just … WTF? I’m officially so out of the pop culture loop that I had never heard of him before his SNL appearance. Is this what music has come to? So awful he made Post Malone seem like Tupac.

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Casting Short as Emhoff is just peculiar. They don't look at all alike, and Short is way too old for the role. And as you said, nothing about Emhoff's public persona that I've seen screams "Martin Short."

Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  14. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

St. Vincent is one of those artists I keep hoping will show me what all the fuss is about. Chris Stapleton is another, but I digress.

I guess we’ll see.

15. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Weekend Update was really good tonight.

16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I was unaware of the fuss but thought St. Vincent was very interesting and quite innovative. Felt a bit like Sadistic Mika Band meets The Staple Singers, and even that couldn’t describe it.

Ego Nwodim continues to be the best talent this show has. She is so damned versatile it is crazy!

Sadly the writing just continues to mostly suck. Weekend Update is still the best part of the show but they always try to ruin it with overly long “guest” appearances. Can’t believe they actually brought the Meat Women idea back. SO bad....

Matthew Tate and Shawn like this.
  17. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I thought this was one of the best this Season (which is probably about 3 winners of the whole season, in my book; the rest being not very good, or totally abysmal). Started w/a strong cold open & thought the host, Daniel Kaluuya excellent. (I'm only familiar w/him from the Golden Globes speech mute zoom fail, which he recovered very nicely with, "fast on his feet"! - a small part of what I'd actually viewed from that awards show). Totally believable in every skit, my favorites being Half Brother, the Cold Open, Beanie Babies & Proud Parents - but, he was great in all he appeared in, just some others weren't as enjoyable for me. I find Beck Bennett usually irritating & so it went here. I viewed afterwards on youtube, as I've taken to doing, since I'm able to cut to the chase. Skipped the guest portions of Weekend Update entirely.
    St. Vincent was, as anticipated, terrific. She continues reinventing herself w/each album, being a 21st Century David Bowie-like chameleon.

Hymie the Robot, Shawn and OldSoul like this.
  18. Atmospheric

I still have to watch the last half hour. But St. Vincent's first song was certainly artful, inventive and well executed by the entire band. I didn't run screaming from the room, as I normally do with the current crop of "musical" guests. I didn't personally find it all that moving. For me, it was more spectacle than substance. I get the Bowie comparison. Also, David Byrne has almost certainly influenced her. I won't be running out to buy the record, but well done overall.

Shambolicus likes this.
  19. LilacTeardrop

Annie Clark (that's St. Vincent) has absolutely been influenced by David Bryne. She's recorded an album w/him - Love This Giant. Her uncle & aunt are Tuck & Patti, jazz recording duo.

Hymie the Robot and Shawn like this.
  20. Certainly a step up from last week (which was a very low bar) and had a few funny moments. But a number of duds too. Daniel Kaluuya was very good. Weekend Update remains a highlight but the Meat Women bit almost ruined it - who on the cast thinks this is a worthy set of recurring characters? I wasn’t overly familiar with St. Vincent but enjoyed what I heard - probably one of the first performances this season I ended up not fast-forwarding through at least part of the songs.

21. LilacTeardrop

Aside: Annie (St. Vincent) was great @ Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction of Nirvana w/remaining band members, Dave & Krist:

I'm off ~ Happy Easter! to everyone here who celebrates it. :)

22. Re: St. Vincent (we’re only halfway through the episode, but the first song was great!) — the keyboard/bass-player over her right shoulder (our left), the one with the ‘fro — do I remember him from Beck’s band??

Maybe this guy?

Justin Meldal-Johnsen - Wikipedia

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  23. Atmospheric

I knew about the DB connection, but I did not know about Tuck & Patti.

24. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing. If that is him, I was curious why he was dressed for going to class in circa 1955. He's the afro 70s throwback guy. This was his moment and he was dressed like he was going to meet his best girl for a milkshake after school.

25. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Yes, and Jason Falkner, who also plays with Beck, was on guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.