'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Actually I have only about 100 Blue Notes in total in my collection, and I dont see it expanding much more. Curious if that is similar to how many blue notes you guys have

2. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

How Many Blue Note Titles Do You Own?

Stu02 likes this.
  3. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

That's an interesting post.

Something I've given a lot of thought to is whether I could whittle my total LP collection down to ~700 albums. By the way, I'd guess I'm probably running about 65% jazz titles vs. 35% other, mostly rock. Because I come from a media sales, marketing, market research background, one program that runs in the background of my mind is the 80/20 rule.

The 80/20 rule:

For those who don't know it, the 80/20 rule identifies heavy usage, or consumption, displacement, etc., in that 80% of consumption comes from 20% of its base. Broadly, 80% of the world's population resides on 20% of its mass. 80% of global energy consumption comes from 20% of the global population. (The US represents ~4% of the global population but consumes ~20% of its resources.) That kind of thing.

Example: If you're in sales and have 100 clients generating $1,000,000 in revenue, $800,00 of your revenue is derived from your top-billing 20 clients. The remaining 80 clients contribute just 20% or $200,000 of your revenue. The top quintile represents the heavy-users/consumers/etc.

Another example: Thinking about this forum, specifically this particular thread, I'd guess there are ~150 unique monthly viewers (that's a wild guess, based on my observations of participation across various quantitative polls, etc. on the SH forums). Yet only ~30 members (20%) contribute 80% of the content! It's a democracy but not a meritocracy.

"Having a wide range of jazz sub-genres results in more records getting played regularly. . . "

According to the 80/20 paradigm, thinking about records, 80% of one's listening is derived from 20% of one's collection. You mention, "Having a wide range of jazz sub-genres results in more records getting played regularly. . . " I'd have to think more about that. Are you suggesting you achieve more total hours listening each week because of the extended range of music? Or are you suggesting you listen to more unique albums without spending more time with your collection? Boy, that's a tough one. If I were to add, say, more milk toast fusion jazz to my collection, would I spend more time each week listening to music? Or would the additional content merely subtract time spent on my established favorites?

For my money, in a hypothetical scenario of existential proportion (I'm trying to be humorous), I would rather have a select armful of Miles Davis, Oscar Peterson Trio, and Bill Evans Trio (any of his trios will do), than a crateload of also-ran titles. In conclusion, I would prefer spending more time listening to fewer albums, than diluting my collection with also-rans. It's something to think about. The 80/20 rule has always fascinated me.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Swann36, mktracy, Kimiimacman and 5 others like this.
  4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

That's a bit of my motivation too. If I leave my collection to family, they won't understand what's there and it could end up sadly. I also realize if I sell the stuff I never listen to (which includes a significant number of MMJ), I can fund more bicyling and I use all my bikes all the time.

In the last 7 1/2 years I have cycled 44k miles, so you can see I spend about as much time on my bikes as sitting in front of my stereo. If hanging onto unplayed records, just for collection sake, keeps me from building my dream bicycle for retirement, then my priorities might be wrong. I have two custom bicycles in mind. I might also build a Moots single-speed in a few years (I have a nice steel one now).

Not to mention, much of the stuff I would sell that I never listen to I can stream in CD quality or even highres on Roon/Quobuz. Not the same I know, but for stuff I that's not a favorite anyway probably good enough.

Swann36, mktracy and MilesTrane like this.
  5. Josquin des Prez

Exactly. I've been guilty of that. I almost let myself get sucked into the 12-LP Lee Morgan Lighthouse release, and have decided it's not sensible for me. I am more interested in the more adventurous, avante-garde stuff.

6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Great post.

For each the listening habits are different I am sure. This recipe works for me personally. In short, i get bored listening to the same things and I can burn them out so they need to retire for a while. I love listening to hard bop, then free jazz, then fusion, then ECM stuff, then some new stuff just out now like Joel or Kamasi W then a smooth CTI releases etc.

By having a diverse collection I can always find something to listen to , due to this range. If I only had a Blue Note collection I would listen to a lot less jazz due to its narrow musical scope as a label, much as I do love that stuff, its just one tiny part of jazz. I only feel like listening to classic Blue Note hard bop occasionally, no more and no less then other sub genres....

7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I hear you, but that set is a high point of modal jazz history and I love that style of jazz. Ill get the cd set.

KUJayhawk likes this.
  8. Josquin des Prez

If it was a 3-5LP set I'd be more interested. 12-LP seems a bit overboard. I think getting everything from sessions is more valuable to completionists, than to someone who wants a representative sample in their collection. I need to stop completing for completion sake.

Dignan2000, Swann36, mktracy and 4 others like this.
  9. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

mgb70, mktracy, Dmann201 and 5 others like this.
  10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I can’t disagree with anything you say here and it’s why I’m going CD vs lp as well, however to modal jazz fanatics this is a holy grail item so I’m making an acception.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I picked up a Verve produced copy of Beyond The Missouri Sky on vinyl (as opposed to the initial ones produced in South Korea). It's one of my favorite records. The covers of "The Moon's A Harsh Mistress" and "Solitary Moon" (It might be called "The Moon Song" here are stunning and mesmerizing. Unfortunately, the whoosh was just too high and it really intruded on the delicacy of the mood and playing. This is an instance where the excellent sounding CD beats the vinyl.

mktracy, Dai and timzigs like this.
  12. Josquin des Prez

A year or two ago I would have been all over it. It doesn't mean I won't get large sets anymore, but the CD set on Qobuz is suitable for me. I already have so much modal jazz as it is. I still have an order in for the 10-LP Sun Bear Concerts, for about the same cost, and I look forward to it.

mktracy, Kimiimacman and Stu02 like this.
  13. AnalogJ

Speaking of ECM stuff, I pulled out Pat Metheny's New Chetauqua LP. I hadn't listened to it since I upgraded my phono stage many years ago. I'm hearing little musical things I had never heard before, ones that were apparently buried by the higher level of black background that the Vinyl One reveals. There's still a good deal of surface basic vinyl sound that these low level details have to fight with, but they're there now.

mktracy, Spazros and Stu02 like this.
  14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

The Sun bear set is for me Jarretts best work , all the music is astonishing... it seems impossible to comprehend that it comes from two hands and the brain of one human being. I have the CDs set which is good enough for me but I understand getting the records for such an epic package of music.

mktracy, AnalogJ and Josquin des Prez like this.
  15. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I love this idea of selling a steady 2-3 items a week. I've been in heavy acquisition mode recently, trying to get "caught up", having only got into vinyl the last few years. But I've been feeling like I already have way more music than I can find time to enjoy, yet having difficulty finding time to start listing the stuff in my "sell pile". If I just aim for getting even just one a week, initially, that could get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the inspiration!

16. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

That’s interesting @scotti. With one or two exceptions I’m the same. Why do you think that is?

In one case I actually bought the MMJ45 as an upgrade, loving the title so much: Open Sesame.

mktracy, Dmann201 and scotti like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I think when it comes to what the wife and I decide to buy, we don't debate enough if we really need the record or not. When it came to the BN 80th's, most of which we had already on CDs (promos) it was like they are $21 per and we do not go out much or on lavish vacations. Now my wife always goes back to St. Louis at least twice a year, but it is hard for me to travel much, so she pretty much gave me the okay to buy what ever records I want, since I did not go overboard when I upgraded our stereo.

But the anticipation of getting new records and then the feeling I get when the stylus drops on my new treasures and that wonderful music jumps out of the speakers, just ever so grateful I love music as much as I do. I honestly get a natural high going through the collection and stumbling upon albums I had kind of forgotten I got, just can't bare the thought of not experiencing that. I also believe some of us collect differently and of course if one is younger and say raising a young family, priorities will of course be different when making record buying decisions. With the exception of going to the food or the local record store, I have been pretty much confined to my house for the past 7 years or so (no complaints) its just that my music helps take me to other places mentally that really keeps that smile on my face. Do I get bored sometimes, of course, why would I carry on about getting good exercise from flipping over 45 RPM vinyl, I'm out there at times no doubt.

And knowing this week that more great music is on the way, hooray! And being able to turn my wife on to awesome new music is pretty sweet. Non Jazz, but over the weekend I played her the new Triptides "Alter Echoes" release and just hearing her reaction after each song was my kind of priceless. It's their 8th record and one of the coolest Psych/Rock albums out there right now. I would give the sound 8.5/10 and the music 9/10. They are beyond the real deal. Check this out, no CD release only vinyl.

And one of the records I'm really looking forward to getting is the Kenny Drew Trio from 1957. One of my favorite Jazz pianists and had only heard it on CD and never paid any attention to it. But when I was talking with Ron (MMJ) last week and Kenny came up, he just started raving about this one and said I had to have it. So I got my oldest son to grab me a copy off discogs and just can't wait to listen to it.

But its a good day for some Tone Poets, on tap is Byrd In Flight, Chant, and Hustlin', been a while hearing those.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  18. trd

trd Forum Resident

The Hoffman Forum St. Louis Jazzer holiday party is going to be one for the ages

:cheers:

Swann36 and recstar24 like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Would you care to elaborate more please...

20. trd

trd Forum Resident

Oh I was just joking that, since there’s so many of us in this thread that either live in St. Louis or are from there, that we could have quite a listening party

Spazros and scotti like this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! I'm so gullible these days...but it does sound like one heck of a party! Well played I say. Just make sure we pick a day that its raining (I would even come in for the event) so @Josquin des Prez isn't out cycling around somewhere.

Swann36 and trd like this.
  22. AnalogJ

I have actually never heard it. I'm wondering if it might be on Amazon Prime's music service, or on YouTube.

23. Josquin des Prez

Hey….who says I don't ride in rain?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Goggen, Wege, Mad Dog and 19 others like this.
  24. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Always looking for EMI pressings of classical, and those Prestige records AP made!

Elofan and Josquin des Prez like this.
  25. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

You look just like your avatar!

Kimiimacman, Dai, trd and 3 others like this.