1980s albums that have *never* been released on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by katieinthecoconut, Dec 10, 2018.

1. sinistrail sentinel

sinistrail sentinel Forum Resident

Recently remastered on vinyl, but never a proper CD release: The Severed Heads Clean
    [​IMG]

ispace likes this.
  2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Music for Pleasure - Into the Rain
    Europeans - Vocabulary
    Eternal Triangle - Touch and Let Go (Discogs shows an unofficial Russian CD release for this.)
    Artery - Oceans (Neither of their retrospective compilation CDs feature the Oceans mini album in its entirety.)
    Aerial FX - Watching the Dance (Amazon sold a CDR of this sourced from MP3s with badly reproduced cover art, but I don't think it should count.)
    Faith Global - The Same Mistakes

Cowboys International - Original Sin (Actually this was from 1979, but it sounds very 80s. And while the songs from this album were released on a CD-only comp called Revisited, the song order was jumbled, so the album hasn't had a proper reissue.)

Modern Eon - Fiction Tales (I know patient_ot mentioned this one already, but it really is bizarre that this has never been issued on CD.)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    wellhamsrus and Jim B. like this.
  3. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Bring back the Rubellan thread!

4. davers

davers Forum Resident

I love the title track - BB King backed by a modern sounding band. I eventially tracked it down on a 20th Century Masters CD comp.

VH3FAN, Galley and LeBon Bush like this.
  5. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

I agree. Kinda weird it was just obliterated without notice. That thread is how I found out about the label to begin with. If it became too off-topic, Rubellan should start another one and only post what they are comfortable with...

6. Gov't Mule

Gov't Mule Forum Resident

The Get Crazy soundtrack from 1983. It includes a version of the Ramones "Chop Suey" that I believe is not available elsewhere. An alternate version was a bonus track on Pleasant Dreams.

[​IMG]

bataclan2002, Stat1516 and samwisefan like this.
  7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The thread became an utter train wreck of the owner of the labels own making, he really only had himself to blame.

He requested the thread be removed before it done irretrievable damage to his business.

8. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

What on Earth happened in the last couple of days?! Last I saw was just lots albums people were suggesting / talk about Danny Elfman & Oingo Boingo, but nothing that added up to train wreck!

Back to this thread, here's a random '80s album that never got a CD release - not sure how much interest there would be (I'd buy it!), but I remember the single well (and bought the 45). :)

Phil Fearon and Galaxy

[​IMG]

The single was What Do I Do? - here it is on TOTP:

[​IMG]

9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Micro Chip League-Code Numbers, 1987
    [​IMG]

10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Second Voice-Perpetuate, 1988/A Strange Days D.A.W.N., 1989
    [​IMG]

11. Amoepe

Amoepe Forum Resident

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's a great album, I cherish my copy. I guess it was down to licensing.

Amoepe likes this.
  13. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

14. annasaggia

annasaggia Forum Resident

Lora Logic - Pedigree Charm

15. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

What, the Rubellan thread is gone?! Oh no - what a bummer! I enjoyed following and occasionally participating in that thread.

Right, the last time I checked in with that thread people were mostly talking about Oingo Boingo/Danny Elfman. That thread did kind of go off piste quite a lot, but if it ever devolved into anything really negative that warranted scrapping the whole epic thing, I must have missed it. Oh well...

At any rate - sorry, please carry on with this thread.

16. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

Aw, what a shame. As off topic as that thread got, there was so much good information in that thread. I know it would be a huge job to go through the thread and remove anything off-topic, but I wish that could happen rather than the information being gone forever. Or at the very least, a new thread that's more tightly controlled to be on topic. There was so much interesting information you posted about projects you were working on and the process of it all.

17. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Strangely enough, quite a few of Dolly Parton´s 80s albums are still missing official releases. (Same for many of the 60s and 70s albums.) Some were released on twofers, and most of the notable tracks have found their way onto compilations, but her rather good 1982 album "HEARTBREAK EXPRESS" is only found as an Estonian bootleg CD. I had my suspicions, and later found out it was mastered from a cassette tape! Not too bad, but not great - and it´s impossible to add tracks from it onto a CD-R compilation. Which I found out a few days ago... :shake:

18. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Dif Juz - "Out of the Trees"
    Very underrated 4AD band. I had this on cassette and would love a CD copy.

[​IMG]

jamesc, BradB, RevUp64 and 3 others like this.
  19. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

John Hunter - Famous At Night (1984) and More Than Meets The Eye (1985)

The Kind - The Kind (1982) and Pain And Pleasure (1983)

Joseph.McClure likes this.
  20. ispace

ispace Senior Member

A Dolly CD box set of her albums is well overdue.

21. Jarleboy

Couldn´t agree more. I have some less than official releases, but I want the real thing, preferably with great mastering. :agree:

rfkavanagh and samwisefan like this.
  22. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I'm surprised there hasn't been a set from RCA of all her albums for that label. They seem to like to do those "complete albums" boxes. The John Denver RCA Albums Collection is quite good.

One of the reasons I haven't bothered to spend much time or money collecting Dolly CDs is because I keep expecting a big box set to come along. I've picked up my favorite albums of hers on CD, of course, and I'll pick up others if I find cheap copies, but I'm not paying $100 for a CD of Here You Come Again when I can play a needledrop of my vinyl record for free.

rfkavanagh and Jarleboy like this.
  23. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Nighthawks 1980 Mercury album
    Artful Dodger - Rave On

2 excellent albums

VH3FAN and Joseph.McClure like this.
  24. Jarleboy

I bought the DCC version of "Here You Come Again". I know it´s heresy to say it, but not all DCC/Razor&Tie releases are perfect, but this one sat well with me. It was worth the amount I paid for it - and then some.

David G. likes this.
  25. Jarleboy

A far as I remember, the complete box set of John Denver was not handled by RCA themselves - they outsourced it. But I do agree - not only does it look good, but it sounds amazing! And they included one disc of unreleased material, plus all three "Greatest Hits" compilations, two of which had several and often superior takes of some of the songs. (The "new" "My Sweet Lady", "Welcome to My Morning" and "This Old Guitar" are definitely improvements over the original recordings, IMO.) Lovely that you get both versions of many songs.

David G. likes this.