The Nash vs. Crosby Feud

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Autotune Sucks, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

Wait, was it "Bob walks in" and Jakob responds "Bob who?"

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's not accurate to say the other Byrds felt Crosby had no redeeming feature. They admired his musical abilities greatly, and felt the benefit of those outweighed any issues with his personality. Eventually they changed their minds about that, obviously.

As to Mike Clarke, he was not technically proficient, but he was creative and at times came up with some parts that were fantastic.

O Don Piano, MikeM, peachyg72 and 2 others like this.
  3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

No, “ Dylan.”

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Luckily, Terry produced the first 2 albums and was then gone by the time they began recording 5-D.

zobalob likes this.
  5. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

Roger, in "Laurel Canyon" alludes to Crosby's talent, but his having an "ego the size of the moon" and his being difficult to work with. Crosby then admits and explains. But he does compliment Roger for "rightly so" being the center of the Byrds, despite his admission of competing with Roger, and his desire of wanting more attention, more of everything.

6. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

I believe that may be the correct title. I watched it, but may have stated the title incorrectly. With Bob Dylan's son?

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

And have you ever considered that using drugs for you entire life may have impacted...I dunno, things like a chance at getting a good job?

But it's not your fault of course. Be angry at David Crozby.

zebop and Six Bachelors like this.
  8. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

Let me know how you contrast the 2, because I am naturally hungry to see anything from that time period. I don't know anything about what makes a video production successful and vibrant (other than my reaction to it), but I believe "Laurel Canyon's" got "it." (Echoes feels flat in contrast-for me.) I'll still watch whatever I can from the period.

JoeF. likes this.
  9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

You should also check out `the photography of Henry Diltz. He covered a lot of that scene in the late '60's.

ISH, Hep Alien and carlwm like this.
  10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It’s ironic that Crosby ‘wanted more of everything’ but got progressively less and less to the point where his were reliably the smallest contributions to CSNY albums. Admittedly, this may have had something to do with his lack of productivity in later years, though.

carlwm likes this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Off subject a tad. Crosby has a certain talent for singing harmony in that I cannot detect his voice other than to know harmony is being applied. His voice is so pure that there is no "character" or affectation to it. I can hear Stills voice in the group, I can hear Nash's and I can hear Young's. But Crosby blends so seamlessly I cannot delineate it from the group. Same goes for his work with The Byrds. And yet when he sings lead or solo, I know immediately it is Crosby.

12. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I guess I’m just dumb as I don’t get this. Can someone explain please.

13. Dovetail7

That's it...saw it in a theater, but did not find it released physically otherwise (should look again,)...would want to see that whole concert led by Jakob!?!? b

14. Dovetail7

The inference/implication is that Jakob, son of the man referenced, doesn't comprehend who the 'Dylan' is, despite the fact his expression tells all about his (dis)ingenuous query...

ARK and ISH like this.
  15. Dovetail7

Ceosby's gift for vocal harmony is his single greatest talent (though he is a strong rhythm guitarist too?!)

piepants and E_Braunn_Fan like this.
  16. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

You're right. He shows up in Hollywood in 1963 with his folk band, then started photographing everyone in the circle - then, voila! He not only became an official photographer, but thankfully, one who visually preserved a great deal of the canyon scene, a history of it. Nurit Wilde photographed the Canyon scene, as well.

scousette and JoeF. like this.
  17. Dovetail7

My discovery of ginger beer helped me stop drinking alcohol, at a time I had detected I could indeed develop a serious problem with the substance!?!?!

ARK and yesstiles like this.
  18. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

When he toured with Sky Trails recently, (I was on the front row of the very intimate Capitol Theatre, mere feet away from him), his voice was massive, riveting Crosby. I've never seen him as a dancer, but that night, very low-key, his elbows, his hands, his fingers, and his feet moved so magically. I asked him about this in the green room at the meet and greet, and he said that he had no awareness of how his body was moving, because, "It's different every single time." Having seen him many times, I never saw his body move like that, perfect and subtle as it was. Lucky me. He was also a powerhouse of Crosby sound when he played with Lighthouse, a couple years before the Sky Trails concert. He helped to reveal my friend's son, Michael League, and that boy and his group Snarky Puppy have done well. I admire that generosity.

I was even closer to him years ago, (front row of 5 seats, my feet resting on the stage, in a 300 people capacity Tierra Verde FL club), just before his jail stint. He sat the whole concert. Although I was startled by the sores on his face, and confused by his short, frequent intermissions, it was Crosby and his guitar. I was mesmerized by the Crosby voice and the singular nuance, power and brilliance of it. He was not in a good place personally, but - wow - that boy could sing - for about 2 hours, by himself, with his guitar. (He did very little talking that night.)

ARK, piepants, Rfreeman and 5 others like this.
  19. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

I thought Jakob did a fine job, but the lilt of "Laurel Canyon" is not in this documentary.

20. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

If you listen closely, you can hear him on "The Pretender" ("legal tender") and even a little on "Doctor My Eyes." I always smile when I hear "him" in these songs because I chalk it up to enthusiasm.

E_Braunn_Fan and Dovetail7 like this.
  21. Dovetail7

Croz is never more deeply in his element than in those moments...and he knows it!?!?

E_Braunn_Fan and ISH like this.
  22. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

He didn't write it, but I always think of "wasted on the way" because he lost and we lost when the devil took hold. I love songs like "Page 43," "Taken at All," "Bittersweet," "Naked in the Rain." Maybe not radio hits, but so moving to me. I would have been happy had he given us more like them, not just the radio favorites, had he not gotten lost.

E_Braunn_Fan and carlwm like this.
  23. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

"Echo in the Canyon" is on Netflix right now. "Laurel Canyon" is on Epix.

rockclassics likes this.
  24. Dovetail7

methinks I will search out next weekend...thanks for the tips!!!

ISH and rockclassics like this.
  25. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

If it were only about "having sex with." Many followers (who else would buy their books/music/concert tickets and watch them in the visual media they are counting on our seeing?) were and are thrown off by the timing of books/videos extolling adoration for long-time wives/partners, then BAM. I would have been more respectful of Graham's honesty in his book, or his interviews if he revealed that life at home, unfortunately, had changed for him. Same for NY. The media presentation for both men hit many people wrong.

No one has mentioned that a big flare-up in tempers came when JB discovered DH secretly cavorting with JFK jr. I did read long ago that Jackie adamantly rejected acceptance of DH. Perhaps another reason for Crosby's dislike of DH. Browne reveals to his followers enough of his lingering anguish over losing loves in many of his songs, even admitting to physicality in "In the Shape of a Heart," not written about DH, but possibly applicable.

The interest (and deflation) lies in what these music icons have written/videoed and lies in fans who love the musician's art, holding to the notion that the lyrics are the moral badge these musicians wear, and stand for, including their seemingly settled family lives, and fans like this notion. Old craziness is interesting to read about, but there was something comforting about wanting these people to mean what they say, mean what they write, mean what they do. Unrealistic? Probably. It's a lot more than "having sex with." Graham deeply hurt his family. I read about 2 of his children's anger regarding his behavior. If they were angry about his abrupt, hurtful bailing on the family, was Susan happy about it? We'll never know, other than the snips of info that indicate she was not happy about it. This discussion goes on and on because it has something to do with trusting what they offer the public, then breaking that trust by seemingly suddenly acting like jerks to their spouses, to their children. Being a jerk in ego-driven musical entanglements? Foolish behavior. Up-ending a purported strong marriage/lives of children? A more respectful, dignified presentation could have been given. They are very public figures.

limoges, E_Braunn_Fan and peachyg72 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.