'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I think a lot of people haven’t heard it. I mean its not unreasonable to think “ come on how can a set that big be consistently great ?”
    It is... just listening to how he segues from part to part , you can almost be inside his head, fascinating but deeply beautiful and moving and unceasingly surprising. Ive know it for 20 years and still hear new stuff in it.

AnalogJ and MisterBritt like this.
  2. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I've been on a Donald Byrd kick lately myself: you won't be disappointed with Byrd in Flight and Chant. Enjoy!

Matadore, trd and scotti like this.
  3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I don't argue it isn't consistently great, I just don't need that much of it. I'll listen to it once, and thereafter just parts of it I cherry pick as favorites. That makes it poor value for me.

By the same token, I have way too much hard/modal bop recordings on BN, Prestige, Riverside , etc. Of all that which is consistently great, I only listen to a fraction of it. That's why I need to get over being a completist with series and unload things. I could use the shelf space anyway. I have no where to go with more shelves.

Matadore, Kimiimacman and trd like this.
  4. Josquin des Prez

Not too shabby for someone who died nearly 500 years ago.

RyeB, Kimiimacman and MisterBritt like this.
  5. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Ah come on... :( I saw the picture and thought "Ah, look at this smart joke I'm about to make". And then I turned the page.

Kimiimacman and MisterBritt like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

7. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Hard bob fatigue is setting in -- we have been spoiled by MMJ/Blue Note/Tone Poet/AP.

8. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Yeah, I heard Hank's Dippin' for the first time a month or so ago, and got some great advice from people on here to listen to A Caddy for Daddy as well, and I thought, damn, Hank is such an underrated player, and Lee Morgan is really on top of his game there too. Why can't we get these as TPs??? (which wouldn't make sense as they both had recent reissues)

And then I went back to streaming Curtain Call to see if I could appreciate what we would get; "nothing too adventurous" is a more generous assessment than how I felt about it, coming right after those two beasts :D

9. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Just a thought and i haven't fully caught up with posts ... but have you got access through streaming or making needle drops of all you may sell off ..that way you can get the cash for the bike and still have the music ..even if not quite the same as the actual vinyl and playing it that way .. just a thought .. :hide:

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

I have a high-end digital front end with a network streamer/DAC and use Roon with a library of high-res downloads and integrated Qobuz subscription. There is certainly plenty there to enjoy, including a lot of what I would sell off. It sounds great and for some things, nearly as good as my analog front end.

I don't have what I need to record needle-drops nor do I have the desire to take that on. Too much effort, IMO.

Swann36 likes this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

"Hard bob"??? Is that a Grinder handle?? ;)

12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Jeff and I were discussing Sun Bear, not Lee here

Swann36 likes this.
  13. Josquin des Prez

Sorry…my bad, but yeah Jarrett's Sun Bear is a different animal. I think of that more like having a box set of all the Mahler symphonies. It's all worth having, and I listen to it over and over.

I have numerous copies of Mahler. That's something I don't think I'll ever unload.

14. trd

trd Forum Resident

I thought I was back in the grateful thread for a moment and someone was complaining about Weir

Spazros likes this.
  15. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I just spit out my coffee laughing at that one!!

16. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

Does anyone have any news on the release of the complete Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse boxed set? The only place I've seen it listed is as a preorder at Target.

17. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i saw someone mention on the Organissimo that it looks like a July release

Biff Jones, scotti and mpayan like this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The little info Ive seen is that its expected later this year. Couple of jazz places I read say sometime in July.

I cant wait to get my melted 12 lp set!

19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

For those looking forward to Harold Vick's "Steppin' Out", I heard from Joe earlier today and he told me they mastered it last week and put the B3 bass pedals back in which Rudy had pretty much eliminated. Said the B3 sounded better and was grooving more with the bass pedals back in. Now I don't know about anyone else, but this is music to my ears.

And just in case, the future release of Scolohofo which originally came out in 2003, is AAA.

20. Josquin des Prez

That'll help fund a bike sometime. I have a half dozen OOP MoFi Dead albums, and RSD Europe '72 Vol. 2.

trd likes this.
  21. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

It was only a thought and seems you will have everything you need ... and as said what you really like and play you will keep at least for a while .. it all sounds like a good plan to me ... riding as much as you do will certainly help keep you fit and healthy ...i'm a firm believer in the more you do the more you can ...

I am wishing you well no matter what you decide in the long run .. and as far as i can tell not actively collecting vinyl doesn't mean you or anyone else can't contribute or hang out here ...i would miss your contributions and thoughts .... for one i've just jumped on spotify to find and listen to Jarretts Sun Bear Concerts, completely new to me and after 20 mins really enjoying ... so thank you

.. without lots of people on here commenting and discussing all sorts of music i would not be discovering so very much

22. Josquin des Prez

Thank you for the vote of confidence. Thinning my record collection won't necessarily lead to thinning my passion, interest and participation. My passion for cycling is equal, and it will help keep me alive and healthy that much longer for enjoying the music.

Sun Bear Concerts is a real gem. Tokyo is my personal favorite.

miq2son and Swann36 like this.
  23. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Talk dirty to me @scotti ;):D

24. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Boy, Scolohofo being AAA surprises me. Good to know.

When you get a chance to inquire, what's the status with the Art Blakey Witch Doctor, please? I realize it is available for preorder on Target but it is no longer available on Amazon. Any idea if this is still on the runway for a June 2021 liftoff?

Art Blakey - The Witch Doctor (BNTP LP) (Vinyl)

mktracy, trd and Crazysteve like this.
  25. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Great post @scotti but I’m still wondering why you don’t play those BN80s anymore. You singled them out for a reason? I’ve got 1000’s I don’t play like many here and like you it’s great to delve into the ‘vaults’ and get some great surprises and some shocks too mind.

I’ve changed my entire system since I last played mofi Abraxas 33, never got on with it frankly, I found it thick and heavy and slow compared to my U.K. original. So I thought, Sod it. Everyone is raving about the 1-step let’s give a go. Well bugger me, it’s fantastic now!! Goes to show. Then I thought, OK, not really a Foo Fighters fan so much these days (I went through a short faze) but I did watch some of the re-run of them playing in my home town, Reading Festival (U.K.) and it gave one of there’s a go. Oh dear, not good and all, sonically, stick to the might Zep!!

Anyway, may the 15th of May bring us both the delights of the next 2 TPs Hill & Gordon.:tiphat:

stefane, Swann36, mktracy and 3 others like this.