The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, afraid I agree.

I am not opposed to covers in principle but a whole album's worth doesn't excite me too much.

It can be OK though pretty pointless IMO.

Then there's UFO's Salentino Cuts Farts which I think is godawful in every way.

And listening to this Saxon album I have to say it is not too far behind Salentino in fart cutting. At least it had one song that I felt was worth hearing (Lizzy's The Rocker). Other than that despite being a fan of most of the songs the Saxon versions do about zero for me.

On the other hand I DO like it when bands cover their OWN songs years later. For example Saxon's own Heavy Metal Thunder (or the bonus disc Killing Ground that is the same thing minus a few songs). Or what the Scorpions did with Comeblack (except for the non-Scorps covers on that). Or Dokken with The Anthems (aka Greatest Hits or other re-releases I cannot recall the title of).

2. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Do it as it will likely grow on you.

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Very Skyes era Whitesnake...I liked it! Just added to my wishlist...

Matthew Tate and MYQ1 like this.
  4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ugh. EAC chokes on it. Can't extract the audio, too corrupt I'm afraid.

I paid something like $21 for it and did not like it enough to buy it again. Dig the other ones I have by them though.

5. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

In general I agree, but there are a few that appeal to me for some reason.

Slayer- Undisputed Attitude
    Guns N' Roses- The Spaghetti Incident (I don't actually have this and don't remember if it is good, but I like the idea of it.)
    ...and the most important to me:
    Metallica- Garage Days Re-Revisited- This was an EP that I got when I was a kid and didn't know it was all covers until reading the liner notes. It was also my introduction to NWOBHM and Punk, which became some of my favorite genres.

6. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Right or wrong, its all Songs in the Key of Hughes for me!

7. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Fates Warning - Darkness In A Different Light (released September 30, 2013)

[​IMG]

8. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

While in the midst of cataloguing my LP's I take the occasional break to spin a tune from something I haven't listened to in years. Gave this one a shot and the memories came flooding back, the production on this album is huge, the band is a mixture of Manowar/Queensryche/Armored Saint. Great vocalist who basically went nowhere after this album.

Warrior USA - Fighting for the Earth 1985

10. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Actually the vocalist ended up in Steve Stevens band and also released an album on Frontiers a few years back.

slipkid and Deuce66 like this.
  11. KristianS

KristianS Forum Resident

Thanks for reminding me about this one, somewhere I have a 12" with this song on. Have not heard it since the 80´s but it was cool hearing again now after so many years.

Jimmy Agates and Deuce66 like this.
  12. Bought the album when it came out!!!!!!
    Mind Over Matter is a great track.

Jimmy Agates and Deuce66 like this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I 4get his name (am too lazy/tired to get up & look at my CD - or heck I guess I could just google it but even that is too much effort right now), just wanted to say that I saw them live back in the day if you are referring to his Atomic Playboys album, probably front row at the TLA in Philly (saw a bunch of shows from there around the same time period).

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  14. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

Someone mentioned GNR's Spaghetti Incident. I really enjoy that one. For a couple reasons. The track selection, for one, is largely pretty great. Some standards, but a lot of stuff that rips to begin with and are not covered to death.

Also, with that album, there is some definite energy that most bands lack in covering songs. And when you consider it is recorded by a band that at that point can only be called a band in the loosest sense and largely don't want to be anywhere near at least one member of the band and is crumbling under chaos---it's an amazing feat ha.

And lastly, man the guts on that band to come out screaming with such an amazing debut, take the world by storm, release a second EP/LP whatever that is a side 1 of fake live covers they had released before their debut and then a second side of drunken, brilliant (and at times really problematic) acoustic tracks, disappear for 4 years and return with a double album of equal parts bloated anarchy, obtuse wankery, musical genius and rock n' roll badassery, and then to finish off their proper career with a wild ass cover album where even that garners at least a little controversy....

GNR was such a wild ride.

Oh, I also like Skid Row's B-Sides Ourselves.

15. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Parramore McCarty...

Stunningly great vocals

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Out on April 16, the new Liquid Tension Experiment - the deluxe version will be clocking in at 117 minutes and change.

Jaw dropper - Hypersonic

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Obssessed with this...a 10 minute epic!

Lords of Black Alchemy of Souls

gromich likes this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Picked this up a few months ago but just getting to it...I don't remember how this came to my attention but the album is really good.
    It's a very interesting blend of progressive, melodic and blues based metal. The vocalist (Alessio Garavello) is outstanding.

A New Tomorrow from the album Universe
    A Million Stars

Roberto899 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

They are also releasing Lean Into It on SACD with 5.1 surround.

Exciting news for those (like me) who enjoy the surround sound experience.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx. I am not into 5.1 but will probably pick that up for (possible) improved hi-res stereo sound and the bonus track.

weekendtoy and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

Man, how about Obituary's Frozen in Time. Man, that record is so good. I forget about it sometimes.

Brenald79 likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Very nice - the RUSH covers will be released on a EP for NOV Record Store Day.

Curveboy likes this.
  23. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I have been focusing on a lot of the Enslaved catalog this week. A band I did not pick up on years ago that I now really love. Wondering if Enslaved has fans here? Always something new to hear on every release to my ears.

miller_time22 likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You'll find plenty of Enslaved talk in this thread. They're too extreme for this thread imo.

Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

rufus t firefly likes this.
  25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Skid Row- B-sides Ourselves is my favorite