The Nash vs. Crosby Feud

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Autotune Sucks, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

2 things happened to me the night Graham appeared at the Capitol, 2015, I believe. 1) I was standing in line to enter, among a group of people probably my age (60), who were completely sophisticated in their dress and appearance (different from the days we'd wear our casual, hippie garb for their concerts), and they began talking of Graham's split from his wife. I was stunned. It was Graham's 72nd birthday, and at intermission, the ushers mingled in the lobby asking us all to sing him Happy Birthday when he appeared for the second set with Shane. We did, and he was appreciative. I was still in shock and turmoil about what I heard from these people outside, but loved what was happening on stage, with Shane fueling Graham. Graham decided to announce his split, and was joyous that he had found the love of his life, Amy. It had to come as a shock to most of the 300 in the audience, but the music was so good. 2) At a certain point, Shane let loose, and the audience went wild. People, especially toward the stage would banter with Graham. but after Shane's unbelievable moment, I shouted, "Way to go Shane!" Graham, paused, turned around, and said to me, "Excuse me, what did you say?" I'm not a quick thinker, but I FELT the vibe, so I quickly answered, "I said, way to go Shane! but I meant to say, 'Way to go Graham, and way to go Shane!'" Graham answered calmly, "OK," and went about preparing for his next song. I didn't realize there was a hierarchy. At Crosby's concerts, he pushed the new kids forward, pleaded with them to sing their new songs, and took great pride in sharing their talent. We're talking about concerts that took place in the last 5 years, in the same theater. Crosby traveled with 2 different young bands, blending reverently with them and also bantering with the audience.

ARK, piepants, JuanTCB and 6 others like this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

to be clear, tempers may have 'flared up' but jackson browne never ever laid a hand on daryl hannah, it was the other way around. her uncle made that perfectly clear after the smoke all cleared. have you not ever wondered why crosby chose to call her a 'poisonous predator"? he certainly didn't just pull it out thin air and say it in public for no reason whatsoever.

3. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

I TOTALLY AGREE

limoges and E_Braunn_Fan like this.
  4. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

Jackson's response was eloquently perfect.

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yep...Don Henley was also "in the know" with this situation, and put his reputation on the line defending Jackson Browne.

E_Braunn_Fan, ISH and groundharp like this.
  6. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

Nash sounds like a complete twat.

JuanTCB, Humbuster, zobalob and 3 others like this.
  7. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

I was lifted up, then let down.

8. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

I think thats a good way of framing Crosbys talent. He's a tremendous vocalist.

9. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

Never been that interested in meeting the people who’s music I enjoy, but I do feel the need to say I’ve spoken to Graham Nash twice (one of them by accident) and he was nothing but decent and a really nice guy both times. He does support Manchester United (goes to games with Allen Clarke when he’s in the UK apparently), but nobody’s perfect.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  10. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Thanks for the report from the front. Sounds like a very uptight situation, the careful dress and speech of a royal court.

Nothing but casual good vibes and warmth at the two Crosby shows I have seen since 2016.

Humbuster and ISH like this.
  11. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

I also believe he's capable of being a nice guy. Long ago, we arrived very early for a large, inside arena concert and were allowed in. We found our seats, and here Graham came, walking toward us, starting a chat. I was in my 20's and choked up, unable to say much, so he led the chat. Very memorable. But you know that we are talking about deeper things than this. I hurt for those who were hurt. Nobody's perfect, but respect and consideration are important values.

utopiarun likes this.
  12. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

Correct.

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  13. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Yeah I remember when he had a section of his official website where he would answer questions people would ask him (like a precursor to Neil’s LTTE) I was around 19-20 at the time and had been recording music at someone’s hone studio after learning guitar a few years prior. In hindsight it was pretty average, at best, but at the time I thought it was good stuff and decided to write in to submit my music and asked if he would give it a listen. I wasn’t expecting a response back, tbh, but was surprised when he personally e-mailed me (using the e-mail address I submitted) and told me that he listened to it and that I should keep pursuing my music. I can’t tell you exactly where to go...only forward.” Again, a pretty generic response in hindsight, but the fact that he took the time to write to me personally, when he didn’t even have to at all, gave me a boost when I needed it at the time.

ARK, supermd, BeatlesBop and 11 others like this.
  14. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Good grief, it’s been thirty years since I met Nash and Crosby. They began a tour in my town and I was friends with the manager and promoter of the venue so I got to come early for the sound check. The CSN box set had been released just a day or two earlier and I bought two copies, one for my sister and one for me. I was hoping to get the booklets signed by the duo. A couple waitresses asked for autographs on napkins and next in line was me. I first encountered Crosby and naively asked him to sign it to (my sister) Annie. In a most whimsical tone he said, “Oh no, I don’t do names and spelling. I just sign ‘em, man!” and proceeded to cheerfully do so. Nash spied me with the box sets under my arm and he seemed eager to engage, presumably because he had overseen the project and presumably I was one of the first buyers he’d met since it was issued a couple days earlier. He was very charming and polite and answered a couple of my questions and I gushed about the box and how I’d been a fan for over twenty years (at that point), etc. Graham was terrific and it really bums me out to read what a ****head he’s apparently become.

Anyway, I was in my star-struck glory, chatting nicely with Nash, when suddenly someone grabbed me roughly by the shoulders from behind and spun me around. There I was, practically nose-to-nose with a somewhat wild-eyed David Crosby, the hero of my youth. I was startled and even more so when he loudly asked, “Do you know where they’re going to feed us around here?!?” Stammering, I directed him to the commissary at the rear of the club. He replied to the effect of, “ Cool! I’m going to get my wife and chow down!” A bit stunned I thanked Nash for the autograph and the chat and left for dinner before the show. Later, my wife and I were in our lower balcony seats awaiting the show when a befuddled looking Crosby appeared next to us as he was being led to his dressing room. He wasn’t the first artist to be confused by the weird layout of this particular venue so we didn’t think much of it. The show was wonderful as the two of them always were. As whacked as Crosby seemed in person he was the ever articulate and effervescent host and performer on stage.

The next week I had my weekly lunch with the manager/promoter of the club. I told him my story about meeting Crosby and he laughed and told me that the contract rider called for healthy foods only, veggies and whatnot backstage. This apparently was not what Crosby had in mind so he asked for a $500 cash advance on his performance fee which I’m glad to say he didn’t spend on drugs. Rather, he and his wife trucked over to a nearby Shell gas station and convenience store where they apparently spent a sizable chunk of the advance on candy, chips and cookies. Seemingly it was in his DNA. Crosby had beaten his Crack addiction but traded it for food.

ARK, MongrelPiano, supermd and 12 others like this.
  15. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I don't think I felt one way or another until I read this. But, having read it, I just think...who cares? I like the records and we're not talking about a crime here. The idea that lyrics have something to do with morality of ethics of the writer seems ridiculous to me. These guys made great records and - short of actual bad/violent/criminal behavior - I'm inclined to just take the music for what it is.

musicaner likes this.
  16. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I’d be more interested in working for them as an archivist or biographer - Joel Bernstein’s job, I guess.

17. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

You and me both.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I hereby nominate you for the job. ;)

19. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I'm saying I don't care either way.

Personally, I'd like to find a Songs For Beginners LP that isn't banged up.

20. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Well, in this case, Nash's opinions on Crosby directly affect the future possibility of their making music together again, so I for one like to stay updated about the conflict.

Songs for Beginners is a great one indeed.

jeremylr likes this.
  21. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

Crimes of the heart sometimes blister and smack of injustice, as loudly as social, political injustice. Line up the songs (not just theirs) that speak of it. The list is very, very long. Those hurt by these "crimes" probably wouldn't think this idea ridiculous. Musicians and recipients, (listeners grateful for the articulation and those specifically addressed in the music), must not think it too ridiculous - it's the subject of so so so much of the music. Look at the list.

Why bother with the persons who deliberately created the masterful message? Who cares if they're Maya Angelou, Carl Sandburg, Robert Frost?

And then there's the music intended to influence the ethics of a better person, a better citizen, a better member of a collective society. I'm pretty sure it would be perfectly OK with them to throw out the idea:

"Dudes: I don't listen/pay heed to you; I don't heed your message. Dudes: I just like to tap my toe and groove out to your sound. I can't take you or your carefully crafted message/feeling seriously; I just want to groove out, dudes." I'm pretty sure they'd be happy enough for you to groove out to the melody of "Woodstock." Nobody really cares about the words/writer/musician/feeling/message. Just groove out. That's good enough.

22. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

OFFS.

SKATTERBRANE likes this.
  23. ISH

ISH Forum Resident

ok, got it

24. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

If a woman chooses you motivated by hypergamy, she will LEAVE you motivated by hypergamy. Such is DH.

ISH likes this.
  25. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Well as for me. Sometimes people might get the impression I am a nice guy. Other times they might get the impression I am a total arsehole. I think this is true of many if not most people. Even the biggest jerk can come off as a nice guy in certain situations. And even a truly good person can come off as a total jerk in certain situations. I am lucky if I bat .500.

But I have always said there is a distinct difference between a "nice" person and a good person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.