The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

IWT.

adamos, fishcane and Crispy Rob like this.
  2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I disliked the whole Albany 91 run......1st night probably the worst of the 3. (Nassau 91 wasn’t very good either).

Probably a combination of 1) they weren’t that good, 2) I was probably comparing to Albany 90 too much, and 3) both Greensboro 91 shows smoked Albany 91 (and Nassau 91).

tobyd, trd and Freebird like this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Greensboro was clearly the highlight of that tour. I'm still bummed that a combination of factors (mainly mechanical vehicle issues) led to me selling my tickets to that run and stopping after Nassau, and they certainly weren't on a big roll coming off of that Nassau run...

LandHorses and trd like this.
  4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Also, this is where I get in trouble but because Hornsby was brought into the mix so early in vinces tenure, vince hadn’t really brought his chops up to speed yet so there was a bit of a void in Albany(no Bruce). Hornsby was the worst thing to happen to Vince and really hindered his stride.

uzn007, US Blues, ianuaditis and 4 others like this.
  5. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Right? Jerry was the Captain.

6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Heading for a short break getaway in regional Victoria for my wife’s 40th birthday—soundtracking the drive today is Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 4 — The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA, 06/04/82 (plus some bonus material from the night before at the same venue on 05/04/82).

A high-energy lively 1-2 punch of Cold Rain And Snow > Promised Land to open the show and 1st set; followed by a sweet sounding Candyman; C. C. Rider, is a snarling, prowling bluesy beast; there’s a real nice Brown-Eyed Women with a great Jerry solo; and a killer version of Jack-A-Roe—Jerry’s vocals and playing really lovely.

The 2nd set opens with an excellent, funky Shakedown Street—a terrific version with awesome interplay between Jerry and Brent; good times continue with a perfectly played Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance; followed by a mellow Terrapin Station; after the Rhythm Devils > Space section comes Truckin’ with alternate lyric change from Bobby—first time I’ve heard this on an official release?; a short, but furious version of The Other One; segues into a soulful Morning Dew with a building jamming climax; a booming bass-bomb filled Sugar Magnolia, courtesy of Phil, ends the show; before a show highlight encore of Bob Dylan’s It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue—one of my favourite Dead covers, this is a perfect version.

I: Cold Rain And Snow > Promised Land, Candyman, C. C. Rider, Brown-Eyed Women, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues, Big Railroad Blues, Looks Like Rain, Jack-A-Roe, It’s All Over Now, Might As Well.

II: Shakedown Street > Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Terrapin Station > Rhythm Devils > Space > Truckin’ > The Other One > Morning Dew > Sugar Magnolia.

E: It’s All Over Now Baby Blue.

[​IMG]
    1982/2011 Grateful Dead Records ‎– GRA2-6021

This Road Trips also comes with some bonus material from the night before at the same venue on 05/04/82.

A stellar electric version of Deep Elem Blues; a slow and steady Althea; and fun and funky Man Smart, Women Smarter (yet I prefer the version from 12/07/89, RFK Stadium) from the 1st set; the smokin’ 2nd set opening Bertha, which rattles along nicely; followed by a unique and exploratory big jamming Playing In The Band > Ship Of Fools > Playing In The Band sequence.

I: Jack Straw, Friend Of The Devil > El Paso, Deep Elem Blues*, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed > Little Red Rooster, Althea*, Man Smart, Woman Smarter*.

II: Bertha* > Playing In The Band* > Ship Of Fools* > Playing In The Band Jam* > Rhythm Devils > Space > The Wheel > Playing In The Band > Wharf Rat > Good Lovin’.

E: Don’t Ease Me In.

*on RT 4.4.

laf848, budwhite, KCWhistle and 12 others like this.
  7. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

The Spectrum. What a shiphole with great concerts. My first show there after moving to Philly, I go to the bathroom. Guy saddles up to the urinal next to mine and looks down and in my direction. You know what I thought but nope, he says "Flip flops at the Spectrum. Interesting choice." Sneakers from then on.

Dignan2000, ARK, uzn007 and 21 others like this.
  8. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Took 9/27/72, Stanley Theater for a spin. Forgot how much I loved this show and the "Around and Around" at the end is so rockin' my 9 year old daughter came into the den and started dancing. Great afternoon!

9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:laugh:

10. trd

trd Forum Resident

:laugh: Classic

ARK, ianuaditis, Spazros and 3 others like this.
  11. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

First set from 10/29/77 via Dave’s 33

tremendous on multiple levels - maybe my favorite Loser plus the opening Might as Well has to be the best ever version.

12. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

12/5/71.. aka the Other One I had been playing in the car before and after I met Bob outside of Tyson's Corner. Shopping Mall. I still remember the feel of his right hand in mine. Is that Weir'd?

ianuaditis, Zafu, mBen989 and 6 others like this.
  13. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Taking the View From The Vault III (6-16-90, Shoreline) DVD for a spin on the new lockdown-easing Sony 4K display. Oddly flat mix, audio-wise (almost sounds like a 2-track soundboard) but a really fun 1st set. Maybe I just need to turn it up louder. Solidly played, they are in no hurry to get through it, with Let The Good Times Roll > Truckin' >Touch to open things nicely. Very good versions of Friend Of The Devil and Cassidy are highlights, and Big Boss Man is a great surprise near the end, where Brent brings some heat. Jerry uses some saxophone MIDI effects in One More Saturday Night that add an unexpected touch. OMSN makes for a good 1st set closer - shoulda done that more often, right? Now the short break for some supper...

laf848, notesofachord, SJR and 2 others like this.
  14. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Are you saying that for Vince it was a long, long way to go home down the low valley road?

ARK, KCWhistle, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  15. trd

trd Forum Resident

It is a 2 track board mix

agreed on OMSN in the first set closing slot, it works great there!

KCWhistle, Burningfool and Crispy Rob like this.
  16. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

52 years ago today - second show of the month
    04/05/69
    Avalon Ballroom - San Francisco, CA

Set 1:
    Dupree's Diamond Blues
    Mountains Of The Moon
    Dark Star
    St. Stephen
    Turn On Your Love Light

Set 2:
    Hard To Handle
    Cosmic Charlie
    China Cat Sunflower
    Doin' That Rag
    Cryptical Envelopment
    The Other One
    Cryptical Envelopment
    The Eleven
    It's A Sin
    Alligator
    Feedback
    And We Bid You Goodnight

gd1969-04-05.136650.sbd.reelmaster.dat.sirmick.flac16

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

That’s a good ****ing awesome show! ;) :righton:

KCWhistle, Jimbobwe, trd and 3 others like this.
  18. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

LOL.
    That floor at the spectrum was always tacky yet slippery. Something you never ever ever wanted to touch or god forbid slip and fall on.

ARK, budwhite, KCWhistle and 9 others like this.
  19. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I was there..................freezing cold up on the lawn that night.

Very hypnotic.....and different 2nd set.

Crispy Rob, Burningfool, trd and 2 others like this.
  20. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Being at the Tysons Corner Mall seems very on brand for Bobby.

uzn007, ianuaditis, scribbs and 2 others like this.
  21. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

Man, we are in sync! I'm spinning this today too. Currently on Sailor>Saint.

SJR likes this.
  22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:righton:

WiseJake237 likes this.
  23. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

That’s actually a pretty solid recommendation. I haven’t heard that show but the similar looking show that was included on Workingmans Dead is great and would work well too. And Fillmore East 71 turned out to be a very solid choice, even the Dark Star on there is laid back, nothing too freaky. DiP 35 houseboat tapes would probably work well here too. Damn, is it possible that 71 was the most laid back year?!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    ianuaditis, Crispy Rob, trd and 2 others like this.
  24. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Earlybird Theater this morning: 10/16/74 Winterland.

I love the Movie Soundtrack, of course, but this is the first time I've ever listened to any of the source shows in their entirety.

Wow, what a fantastic show! The PITB is the only part that made it to the movie, but the entire show is a winner.

When I watched the movie for the first time last year, I was totally grooving on this PITB until it cuts away to audience footage as Jerry is in midflight. I don't care about those stoner dudes waiting in line...get back to Jerry, dammit!! Funny thing is, it was Jerry who edited it that way. How many guitarists would EVER cut away from themselves taking a solo? Talk about egoless. LOL

There's a humorous miscommunication in Scarlet, but otherwise it's the most exploratory one they'd played to that point.

The first two-thirds of the second set-- Seastones>Jam>Space>Wharf Rat>Eyes--is flat-out amazing. That jam coming out of Seastones really needs to be on an official release somewhere. The entire sequence should be, but there's an audience patch needed in Eyes, so perhaps that would be a deal-killer for that. I'm assuming no one at GDP is going take the effort at this point to mix anything from the multitracks was wasn't used for the Movie Soundtracks, assuming that the tapes for the rest are even available.

budwhite, KCWhistle, SJR and 8 others like this.
  25. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Capital Centre (RIP) demanded waders at times. Pissing in the sinks was not only acceptable, but encouraged.

No offense to Wide Spread Panic fans, but vomit shields are a good idea. Sorry, had to get that dig in.