Simaudio Moon 340i X

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nyrjoe, Apr 6, 2021.

1. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've never heard any Moon gear but they've always interested me. I'm currently considering the 340iX. Pro Reviews seem to be good but after much reading I'm not getting a sense of the sound signature of this amp. If any owners could comment it would be greatly appreciated. Would be great to hear any direct comparisons with other similiarly priced solid state A/B amps.

2. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I bought the 330A amp recently, which I suspect would be closely associated with the 340iX.

Strictly talking about the sound of this amp, I chose it because it has a nice balance of an open, clear sound while also delivering a solid bottom end. Overall, I’d say it’s fairly neutral. While it obviously won’t have the texture of a tube amp, it doesn’t have any hint of brightness that one might expect from solid state. However, I do use a tube based preamp which probably imparts itself on the sound in my case, but that too has a relatively neutral sound as well.

Rick58 likes this.
  3. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

What are you using now, there is noting in your profile?

Of course it will be highly dependent on which speakers you are matching it with. I use the 340 with Dynaudio Contour 20s. The sound to me is very dynamic, detailed and extremely engaging.It does take a good hour for it to reach it's potential but once the side heat sinks get warm it is really amazing.

4. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Neutral and incredibly musical.

JNTEX and conjotter like this.
  5. nyrjoe

Right now I'm using a Rega Elex-R with Focal Floorstanders 826w. Had recently tried a Luxman l505 class A which would have been a keeper but had technical issues so had to send it back. To re-order a Luxman now would be a few months wait so with the 340i having been on my list I figure I take a closer look. The Luxman sounded neutral to slightly warm of netural, musical, no harshness. It seems as if the 340i brings bass authority which good dynamics? Any warmth?

Thanks

6. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Simaudio Moon makes great stuff.

Reliable and built like a tank.

7. MGW

And it comes with a 10 year warranty.

Re warmth, my feeling is that the warmth in my system is applied by the Sonus Faber but there is certainly no sense of harshness in the Moon, ... as I said up thread, neutral and incredibly musical.

8. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

I heard a few different amps before deciding to buy the Moon Neo Ace, the amp section is from the 240i which is the base level for Moon, but it is a very smooth warm sounding amp, not tube I agree but then i never expected it to be. I would love to trade up to the 340i and matching DAC but funds as always are tight when you retire....

9. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I’ve heard and respect their amplification over the years and it’s always been exemplary. Top rank quality build and sound. If it matches your speakers you would have a very hard time going wrong.

jonwoody likes this.
  10. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

SimAudio makes great stuff.

11. nyrjoe

Great point and really not sure if my Focals would match up well. Sonically they are very neutral. But they are rather demanding power wise. Can dip to 2.9 ohms..

Rick58 likes this.
  12. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

It’s the electronic match that counts. You’ll never lose by having an “over capable” amp except it’s going to cost more.

asj_999 and MGW like this.
  13. nyrjoe

Anyone using a subwoofer with thier 340i? The manual makes no mention of connecting a sub but I see it has a var output. If this connection is used with a sub will the amp control the subs output volume?

14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I have a 240i and am very happy with it.

If you're in the market for an integrated, you really can't go wrong with it, IMO. I have to be more careful with speaker matching because of the lower power, but that's not an issue with the 340.

MGW and Robsonschoice like this.
  15. MGW

For what it is worth it, might be worth checking the specifications as the Moon 340i's rated power output is greater than either your Rega or the Luxman at lower impedances. But the bottom line is that Moon products are known for putting out good clean power and driving difficult speakers with ease. Given that you Focals are rated at a sensitivity of 91.5dB they should be a doddle to drive compared to my Sonus Faber Concertos at 86dB, which the 340i drives with consummate ease.

Rick58 and Khorn like this.
  16. Tom Littlefield

17. Tom Littlefield

Hope that answers your question...

nyrjoe likes this.
  18. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

My experience with my own Moon is that it's a "you provide the warmth" type of thing, an example of its neutrality. It can sound warmer or more sterile depending the other equipment + source.

19. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

20. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I also have a 240i..Love it, but a power boost would be nice.
    If I ever get the cash, I may upgrade to the 340i.
    I am running my 240 with Monitor Audio a silver Series 300 speakers.

21. Michel Benoit

Michel Benoit New Member

I have the Moon ace with Monitor audio Silver 6 and a lot of time I found that the voice are harsh. On the Lamb lies down on broadway album for example... With very good recording I d'ont have this problem.
    Do you have this problem with The MA silver 300?

22. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I can’t say I have experienced an issue with vocals…Now I am going to be paying more attention.
    Not sure whether to thank you or not…lol

23. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I bet you’re OK. The MA Silver 300s (successor to my 8s) are pretty efficient (88dB/W/m or so) but do go to 4 ohms in places. The 240i does ok into 4 ohms though according to a review I found:

Output Power:

@ 8Ω 50 Watts per channel
    @ 4Ω 85 Watts per channel

At moderate volume in medium sized rooms seems fine. If you’re cranking it (esp old Genesis, apparently!) listen for distortion … but I don’t know if the harshness described is in the recording …? Personally I like the post-PG era. :D

PS: I LOVE So:D so don’t hate on me too much.

jonwoody and gkella like this.
  24. mrtn

mrtn Member

Hi everyone,
    I just got a 340i amp and I absolutely love everything about it except for the cheap (and overcomplicated) bundled remote control.
    Does anyone have some suggestions for a replacement? I'm looking for good quality and simplicity: power, volume and input control plus mute. The remote works on the Philips RC-5 communication protocol.
    Thank you for your input!

MGW likes this.
  25. MGW

When I had a 340i I set up an eBay watch for a Moon FRM-3 Remote FRM-3 Backlit System Remote Control | Amplifier | MOON - Simaudio
    And ended up buying one for about €150.

timind likes this.