Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

The Hangover. Horrible and embarassing. Comedy for folks who don't get irony and sarcasm, I guess.

Keith V, VU Master and Hyacinth House like this.
  2. Take your pick of almost any Adam Sandler film.

3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Except Happy Gilmore!!!!

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Or "Billy Madison".

Or "Wedding Singer".

Or "50 First Dates".

Etc.

Make no mistake: Sandler has starred in some genuinely awful movies. But he's done some funny ones, too!

5. BayouTiger

Well, he certainly no Pauly Shore (or Rob Schneider)!!!

6. Oatsdad

Shore never made a funny movie, I don't think. Of course, he didn't star in very many, as he went from popular to forgotten pretty quickly.

At least Schneider has gotten work in Sandler's flicks!

Coincidentally, I watched "Benchwarmers" for the first time in years a couple weeks back. Schneider actually plays a "straight" role: he's the lead and the normal guy with Jon Heder and David Spade as the weirdos.

Very odd to see Schneider in a part that asks him to be a normal guy!

7. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I don't know what the criteria is for a truly awful film, but I didn't laugh once during a few Eddie Murphy films. Can't remember the titles, but I know I didn't laugh.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  8. BayouTiger

I’m hoping that you understood that I don’t think much of Shore or Schneider. I can say that I am a grumpy old fart, so I also have little use for anything from the most recent SNL casts. (Post Nealon, Hartman, Ferrell, etc). The show has some highlights, but the movies made by the cast members are awful to me.

gitters likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

I did - just used that as a launching pad to discuss their cinematic careers! :)

BTW, Shore just starred in the direct-to-video "Guest House". And guess what? It's awful! :laugh:

Guest House [Blu-Ray] (2020)

BayouTiger and bmasters9 like this.
  10. parman

parman Music Junkie

King Of Comedy W/De Niro & Lewis

11. Oatsdad

That's not actually a comedy: :shh:

12. parman

parman Music Junkie

No it isn't

rockerreds likes this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

[​IMG]

You have a really great cast including Christopher Lloyd, Jeff Goldblum, and John Lithgow, but it just screams b-movie.

DME1061 likes this.
  14. nategibson672

nategibson672 Forum Resident

Blasphemy!

:bigeek:

15. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Never seen a funny Will Farrell comedy ever....:(

16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I never thought he was funny.
    Not my cup of tea I guess.

17. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Mr. Woodcock. Completely wasted Billy Bob Thornton, Susan Sarandon & Sean Williams Scott. I spent the last 30 minutes or so of this abysmal dreck with my chin in my palm, just waiting for it to end.

Cop Out. Simply dreadful in every possible way.

The Hangover Part II. First one was side splitting, even as it meandered a bit, but it all worked. The sequel was loathsome at best. Did not waste my time with the third one. And please, those of you that did see the third one & liked it, I'm not interested in ever seeing it, no matter what you might say.

Game Night. So bad that my wife & I walked out within the first 30 minutes. Neither of us had laughed once in that time period.

18. Oatsdad

I agree that the first two largely stink. IIRC, I thought "Cop Out" had a couple laughs from the Seann William Scott character, but that was it, and "Woodcock" was a total dud.

"Hangover II" wasn't good, but I also never liked the 1st one. I did kinda enjoy the 3rd, which puts me in the severe minority.

"Game Night" is pretty funny, though! :shrug:

19. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Anything by Judd Apatow is the epitome of unfunny to me.

20. Same sentiment for me, but considering anything by Kevin Smith.

Lightworker and Bluesman Mark like this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Jim Carrey and the rest of the cast are hilarious, but the movie itself isn't funny.

22. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

The Office. Not trying to be provocative or anything, I’ve just never understood the widespread love and acclaim this overrated series continues to receive.

23. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Which is the major point in the creation of the film. Just checking the Wiki article-Ellen Barkin described it as "If Terry Southern had written Star Wars",about as good single sentence synopsis as one could imagine. That would have made a great headline in the original ads.
    I still regret passing on the View-Master version marked down for clearance. What a great idea for a toy.

24. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

It got painfully weak after Steve Carell left, if that makes any difference. UK people seem to have a special animus towards the US version too, I've noticed.

25. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

While I haven't drooled over either series,just the fact that Comcast/NBC/Universal squeezed 200 episodes and,sure,some of them may not have been top drawer,they had a few home runs and deep singles that were almost multi-base hits. Possibly the jewel of Comcast's Peacock streaming service and gave Brian Baumgartner(Kevin Malone) a great job with minor league baseball appearances. While I haven't waited in line,he seems to draw as many fans for Seinfeld's Soup Nazi(Larry Thomas).
    Part of the goofy part of minor league baseball. I'm fortunate to live near two(AA & AAA Phillies affiliates) and for the price of movie ticket,a great time. Food prices are 1/2 of the majors,sometime with creative,yet dangerous food selections. Lots of fireworks,fair and sometimes free parking and a quick ride back home. And sometimes Kevin Malone & the Soup Nazi.

Hyacinth House and MrGrumpy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.