Amazon AU price watch thread...

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jimmy Agates, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

2. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

westcj likes this.
  3. westcj

westcj I'm like a wombat on the rampage

"Check out these fantastic deals we picked just for you, based on your activity on Amazon.com.au. We thought we’d also treat you to some of our top deals."

For a business that is supposed to be on the cutting edge of online selling, you really have to wonder about Amazon's marketing strategies - I get the above message in an email and the link sends me to deals for facemasks ,toys and electric toothbrushes . When all I buy from Amazon is CDs, records and the occasional book!

ispace, scobb and croquetlawns like this.
  4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Maybe they are just letting you know they sell useful stuff as well as cds and records? o_O

Aussie pressing likes this.
  5. Aussie pressing

Aussie pressing Forum Resident

That's right, for the biggest personal data mining company on the planet, they should be able to do slightly better.
    Having said that, I would check my Amazon browsing history.
    I once did, and I had stuff in there I never looked at. It was almost as if another person with totally different browsing habits was using my account. I checked with anyone in my family who might possible have had access to my Amazon account, but no-one looked at those items. I did report to Amazon and they looked into it, but never really explained how it happened. I even logged my account out on all devices, and it still kept doing in. I think it was a glitch on their part, and it kind of merged two peoples (mine and someone else's) browsing into one.
    No orders were placed using my account for anything in that browsing history, but it was a weird period. I would open my Firefox, look at Amazon and see all this stuff has been looked at. Eerie.

westcj, ispace and croquetlawns like this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Arrived from JB (Bourke St) Well packed in bubble wrap. Pretty fast as this is the second day of mail since Good Friday.

7. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

Yep - happened to me too. I got paranoid and changed my password - but it still occurred. How browsing for items you never look at come up on your profile is mind boggling!

westcj and Aussie pressing like this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Except for Tom Petty's Wildflowers everything they've recommended has been something I've already looked at. I've bought stuff from them and they've never recommended anything else by that same artist. As for toothbrushes, underwear and condoms ... it hasn't happened.

westcj and Aussie pressing like this.
  9. westcj

I tend to agree, but it does not say much about Amazon's attitude to its customers. - "This schmoe is buying heaps of soul records, let's try and convince him that he needs a pair of slippers!"

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    ispace and Mylene like this.
  10. westcj

Interesting point, I will investigate, however I am inclined to think that its Amazon just being lazy and sending out generic marketing emails, rather than using their customers' purchasing history to pinpoint what customers may be genuinely interested in buying.

Although when you see how Amazon Aust. categorize their records/cds - heavy metal in the gospel section, folk in hip - hop etc. , they may not have any real idea of customer's buying preferences in terms of the type of music they like!

11. Glam77

Glam77 Forum Resident

I did score some bargains recently in the the "baby clothes - jackets" category. No joke.

1 item i manually searched for came up in this category so i went and had a look what else was in there and ended up grabbing another 2-3 lps/

12. Eskimo Chain

Eskimo Chain Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed....

westcj and croquetlawns like this.
  13. westcj

Eskimo Chain likes this.
  14. Eskimo Chain

croquetlawns likes this.
  15. westcj

Excellent ! I bought a copy yesterday for $21.80 and was surprised it didn't shoot up in price, but I notice it is now $47

croquetlawns likes this.
  16. westcj

SINATRA, NANCY - Start Walkin 1965-1976 | Amazon.com.au | Music

Nancy Sinatra - Start Walkin' 1965-1976 | Amazon.com.au | Music

CD for $27 on US Amazon, $64 for the double black vinyl - the initial release on yellow vinyl may have sold out

I was very excited when I heard Light in the Attic were reissuing Nancy's back catalog , expecting something like their Lee Hazelwood box set or Capital's Bobbie Gentry box set, but this is just another Nancy Best Of with the usual tracks - and overpriced to boot.

Australia's own great and much missed reissue label Raven did a much better job with their Lightning's Girl set.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    croquetlawns likes this.
  17. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Yep, Raven were a great label!

ispace likes this.
  18. westcj

Sure was, I could never find out why it went out of business. When I was living in Hawthorn many years ago, Peter Shillito, one of the owners of Raven, was the manager of the Hawthorn Readings store - a really great guy, I enjoyed his stories about the hassles of dealing with record companies and trying to get licensing arrangements for Raven reissues

Mylene and croquetlawns like this.
  19. Eskimo Chain

westcj, Big Swifty and croquetlawns like this.
  20. Aussie pressing

Aussie pressing Forum Resident

21. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

22. croquetlawns

So, what's the verdict?

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

One of the best Elvis reissues in recent years. Two sets of sleeve notes, one as a diary the other an overview of events and photos of labels and trade ads. Everything on the first two discs has been completely remixed and undubbed, so all brass, strings and background vocals are gone (which really makes a difference on the That's the Way it Is material). The last two discs are alternate takes in a non chronological order with lots of false starts and studio chatter so it's like you're in the studio with Elvis trying to record three albums in five days.

24. croquetlawns

That's pretty much how I felt - I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

westcj and Mylene like this.
  25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The only one I haven't bought is The Searcher, which didn't have enough new stuff to make it a day of purchase release but if I see it cheap enough I'll still buy it