Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Bells:

1-0
    2-4
    3-4
    4-1
    5-0

HitAndRun likes this.
  2. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's song is Land o' Pies:

The uploader of the Youtube video simply states, "this isn't a very good song." :laugh:

One or two instrumentals on the album I could have dealt with, but there are far too many and several feel like Mike simply exercising in the studio. We are a world away from The Garden here...

The production is again very dated and there are moments where it reminds me of You're the One That I Want from Grease. Perhaps that's just me.

2/5.

DaveJ, HitAndRun and intv7 like this.
  3. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

yuk 1/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  4. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Land o Pies - 2/5
    This sounds like something you might hear while riding a merry go round. More incidental music to me.

HitAndRun likes this.
  5. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Land o' Pies" -- 1.5/5

The only thing I really like about this track is its title. Very Nez title.

HitAndRun likes this.
  6. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Land o' Pies

This to me sounds like a backing track for a Davy demo. The organ solo is good, but the rest of it not, in my opinion. I suppose a song could have been made out of this. Some verses, a chorus, and a bit of this organ solo, might have worked.

2.5/5

Bells

I'm late to this one, so won't rate it. My opinion of it is not as high as some others. I feel that this is just a chord progression. Maybe it's the sound quality of the YouTube clip as I don't have the album (and don't feel inclined to buy it). But, I simply don't hear much here. Maybe the (fake?) oboe sound has a nice melody. But, I mostly just hear those strings. Not enough to hold my interest. The coda is the best part. And, not just because I'm glad it's over.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    RobRoyF and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Land O’ Pies - For me this has a cool, funky dance groove to it. The organ player is definitely in the zone. It might benefited with lyrics, but it’s okay. 3/5.

HitAndRun, Guy Smiley and D-rock like this.
  8. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

While we may be getting to a point of saturation with instrumentals on this CD, but I can’t say this sounds any worse or better than most of the others if listened to individually. Placed earlier in the running order, another instrumental may be suffering it’s fate. Same musicians, same instruments, same sound and this one does have an upbeat groove to it and a cool title, so it stays a 3.

HitAndRun, Guy Smiley and D-rock like this.
  9. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

This (Bells) from the guy who wrote the liner notes to Ranch Stash. To me it's awfully close to elevator music. If this wasn't Michael Nesmith and we weren't on a Monkees thread this would pass by totally and without mention. There are strengths to Rays but some of the individual pieces are of little substance to my ears.

Bells - 2/5

Not sure why but Land O’ Pies makes me smile. and I'm with Fred on the organ and it's player. (Not literally)

Land O’ Pies - 3.5 /5

10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Nez has stated that initially it did have lyrics and vocals but he liked it as a instrument better.

11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Land 'O Pies 4.5/5

Just a very happy and pumped tune. Makes my hips start moving. Makes ya wanna dance. Cool tune. Doesn't sound aimless or made up along the way .. as some others do.

12. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Surprised about the criticisms of “Land O’ Pies.” Along with the opening couple of tracks, this easily one of the strongest pieces on the album. I am sucker for groovy sounding Hammond B3 (Or whatever sort of organ it is), so that’s right in my sweet spot.

But the whole track is pretty funky, and not necessarily in a forced, “old guy trying to sound hip” way some of the tracks sound (Maybe I’m not the best arbiter on what what’s “funky,” but I dig this). Definitely could use more guitar, and perhaps some fun lyrics to match, but this is pretty good.

With some good guitar, this could’ve been a cool jam vehicle for Nez and a band. Not bad as it is though. This had serious potential. Solid 4/5.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  13. Guy Smiley

Here’s what “Land O’ Pies” reminds of, just a little. Derek Trucks is one of the best guitarists walking the planet, and this comes from his previous band (Currently, he and his wife lead the incredible Tedeschi Trucks Band).

Add guitar (In place of the synth horns?) and jam it out a bit more and it’s not far off from this. This is about twice as long as “Pies,” and some may not care for that jamming but I love it. I suspect Nez might too.

The organ really kicks in and takes over around 2:13, so skip there if you want to hear what I mean.

14. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I think land o pies is a lot o fun
    4.5/5

How cool would it be if Micky sang the lyrics over this backing track?

Any skillful editors out there want to take some isolated peter ssb vocals and drop them in?

15. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

It kind of sounds like the theme to Seinfeld or Night Court or something - I can't put my finger on it.

And I'll be damned if that Bo Diddley-rhythm guitar sitting back in the mix isn't the man himself - it's nice to see how his style remained consistent over the years.

But it's a pretty fun song - definitley one of his more engaging tracks of the last couple of decades.

3.5/5

16. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Liner notes say it is a B3 played by Chester Thompson. Does not specify it is a Hammond but would guess a B3 is a Hammond, although our more musically educated would know for sure.

HitAndRun, D-rock and Guy Smiley like this.
  17. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

B3 is a model of Hammond organ.

HitAndRun, D-rock and Guy Smiley like this.
  18. NudieSuitNezHead

I've been out of the loop with other things, so I'll wait until we rate the entire album to give my opinion. Like others have stated, Rays is an album that's best enjoyed as a whole.

19. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

I like "Land O'Pies" quite a bit and believe it should have closed out side 1 instead of "Best Of It". Nez could have found something mellowish in the archives to fill out side 2 IMO. 4.5/5

RobRoyF, HitAndRun, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  20. Guy Smiley

So there is some guitar on there? I thought maybe, but I wasn’t sure I was hearing it. Good to know. A more prominent guitar would’ve made a good track even better. Agreed that it’s one of his better recent efforts, In apite of being a minor track.

HitAndRun and D-rock like this.
  21. Guy Smiley

As NudieSuit mentioned, B3 is a Hammond. I just wasn’t sure what, specifically was played.

Sounded like a Hammond, as opposed to the sound of a Farfisa or Vox. But I’m not always sure of these things.

HitAndRun likes this.
  22. NudieSuitNezHead

A Farfisa sounds similar to an accordion and a Vox is a bit more "jangly." When I think of a Vox vs a Hammond, I compare it to the sound of a Gretsch 12-string vs a Rickenbacher 12-string. The Gretsch is "janglier."

HitAndRun and Guy Smiley like this.
  23. Guy Smiley

Good descriptions. The Farfisa sounds more, for lack of better descriptions, more circus or calliope-like. “wooly Bully” and “Crocodile Rock” are two songs that come to mind that use Farfisa. But, yeah, like an accordion.

Both Farfisa and Vox seem to have a thinner sound, to my ears, than Hammond. Not sure I can always distinguish Vox from Farfisa, though I know a Vox was used on some Monkees records. “I’m a Believer” and “Stepping Stone” to name but a couple.

24. Guy Smiley

Wow. He’s played with, among others, Santana and Tower of Power. Nez laded a heavy hitter there. Should’ve used him more on the album.

25. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I would imagine he drinks his Coff-o-Cupee with his Land o' Pies...