Micro scratches with Sleeve city diskkeeper

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 12" 45rpm, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

The paper shell/ poly interior that originally came with the Titanic album is more pliable than the Sleeve City's product. So, with that to consider,
    I was able to locate that design, and purchased one hundred of them. If they are not to my liking, I'll just return them and find something different.
    Thanks for the input, it is much apprecated.

Lenny99 likes this.
  2. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Which ones did you get? As I said, I like and use the MA sleeves, but I'm also looking for good poly-lined sleeves, for those times when I want something that holds it's shape, or when I want to be able to see the label.

3. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

I ended up using Goldring sleeves which were very nice except they left a residues on all my records. Not good. After cleaning all of my records in a degritter I’m now using the QRP MOFI style sleeves and the diskeeper Ultimate. The poly lined sleeves from the 2014 Beatles are very nice but I can’t seem to find those exact ones and I’ve gone back to the the life is too short to sweat it camp. I do think the polylined sleeves from QRP/AS are really nice. They are loose enough for proper handling and seem “soft” and residue free. They leave a sliver of run in exposed but I don’t find this a big deal at all.

mikemoon likes this.
  4. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I have been using the QRP sleeves as well with happy results.

5. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I found the QRP left patterns of light scratches, just like the MoFis. :cry: I won't use either anymore.

I've had no scratching issues with poly-lined paper sleeves, but have seen some records that came in these with marks along the glue lines (lines or patches), so I'm still a little leary of these. Would like to find a tried-and-tested brand that has some history of being safe. That's why I was asking @Preppyguy what kind he got.

Otherwise, I'm sticking with the MA sleeves for anything that isn't already beat up. There's no perfect solution that I'm aware of, but I'm very happy with these. (If they could do them as a liner in paper sleeves, that would solve the jacket-insertion problem, but that would probably negate the breathability advantage they tout.)

richbdd01 likes this.
  6. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

amazon, and or eBay. They have loads to choose from. The poly lined sleeves appear and feel the same as the poly sleeves that came accompanied with my 80's and 90's Maxi Singles. There isn't any residue, and or markings on the LP as of yet. The sleeves are cut perfectly. I have no issues inserting sleeves into jackets or gatefolds. I decided to go with a no name brand. Mostly every review I have read on known name brands turns out to be a "nightmarish" experience. Keeping my fingers crossed. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DL4FBP...colid=3AE3B794LN1M&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    nomad709 likes this.
  7. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Hi yesterday after cleaning a bunch of records I noticed a bunch of micro abrasions aswell on records that have been sleeved with exact diskeeper sleeves in discussion. I have a few records in heavy rotation I use for reference when adjusting a new cartridge. Two of them have been sleeved with the diskeeper for years and under light I noticed tons of micro scratches the third came in a nice poly lined sleeve and remains absolutely flawless since 2013 -no micro scratches.

This was a startling discovery and only noticed because I was a cleaning a shipment of recently acquired used records when I decided to also inspect my older records. Needless to say I will be tossing these sleeves and buying some much less thick poly sleeves. I will be buying some nagaokas or similar sleeves since the ones that came with some 80s japanese records I recently purchased remain flawless after nearly 40 years.

AaronW likes this.
  8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Did you notice any audio effects of those micro scratches? I’m asking honestly, not doubting any of this. I have a ton of my records in these sleeves, but I’ve been slowly switching them to MoFi sleeves.

9. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

No audible defects since they're very light scratches seen at a certain angle under light.

That being said it's not at all pretty and I'm not parting with my record collection but if I were to buy a mint used record with a bunch of these micro abrasions I would be very disappointed.

I just did a test under a spotlight on a mint record by rubbing the outer edges with the interior of a diskeeper sleeve using light pressure. Micro scratches were instantly produced, I imagine slipping your sleeved records in and out of the sometimes tight album covers would produce the same affect.

Following that I did the same test with a light and soft rounded bottom sleeve that came with a used japanese record. I applied the same pressure in circular motion on a different side of the record and no micro abrasions/scratches were produced. This is the same poly type soft sleeve used in many paper poly lined sleeves and as others here reported there's no scratches with those.

This is all very disappointing but I at least now know to avoid these sleeves or any other thick poly inner sleeves. It best to use very soft poly sleeves for your records.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  10. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

11. Preppyguy

Preppyguy Member

Now, I am reading that polyvinyl can cause possible hazing, or the ripple effect. You know something, I haven't experienced either or. As we have agreed, we have had positive experiences with polyvinyl sleeves. Personally, I think is based on how you store the media. Do you store them in your home, or a climate controlled storage area? Or, do you keep the records in the garage where the records are subjected to hot, cold and possibly moister. Ya think? :)

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  12. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

The only hazing or ripple smudge effect I've experienced is when I bought a mofi Patricia Barber album from 2011. Looked like some residue came off the sleeves and research indicated this was qc issues from mofi sleeves that was later fixed.

I assume improper drying of a cleaned record then inserting immediately into a sleeve would not be good and the moisture would create streaks. Also I avoid using those small record cleaning kits with the small spray bottles and velvet brush. Who knows what those chemicals would do to records in the long run since there not washed away with water.

13. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

I think it is mostly bad lots of the plastics that are contaminated that cause these problems. Storage in hot humidity has its own long term issues. I see storage marks on vintage records stores in paper as well.

14. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

15. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, the true rice paper Japanese made sleeves do not leave any scuffs on your records. That is what I order and use. They have a rounded bottom, and are so thin that take up less space on the record shelf.

AaronW likes this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You want to use sleeves like this that have the rice paper lining, and not the poly plastic lining. The rice paper is more diffused looking and not clear like the poly plastic which is proven dangerous.

18. CBackley

Which ones do you use?

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Post #191 says what I use. Rice paper Japanese made with rounded bottoms.

20. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

I couldn't find any rice paper rounded bottom sleeves, all examples I've seen are made of very thin 1 mil or less HDPE poly. Anyways I'm importing these from Japan, they have been used by other collectors for decades and are pretty much the same as the ones that came with my 80's Japanese records that remain flawless.

[​IMG]

elvisizer likes this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Do they feel like the thin rice paper Japan import LPs used? Or are they more plasticy feeling? I have seen both types. I fear the plastic ones will fog LPs over the years.

They look to be good if they are coming from Japan. Hope they are not over-priced.

22. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

These are made of thin 25 micron HDPE poly, about 1 mil thickness. Very light and soft they crumble easy and are gentle on records.

These look like a good buy if you don't want to import nagaoka sleeves
    Japanese 12" Vinyl Inner Sleeves (100 Pack)

I cannot find any example of a rice paper rounded bottom sleeves. Rice paper is usually sandwiched between layers of HDPE poly. Which ones do you have?

23. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This thread’s remorseless Javert-like hunt for perpetrators of crimes against shiny-smooth vinyl perfection has backfired and turned me into an extreme, totally committed pro micro-scratches fanatic. They’re cute, they’re tiny, they’re inaudible, and I love them.

Vinyl Archaeologist and CBackley like this.
  24. CBackley

Thanks. But I was hoping for a link or the name of the manufacturer. If you’ve had good results, I’d appreciate a recommendation.

25. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

I've been using these since I started collecting vinyl again- they fit right inside of unlined paper sleeves. no scratches no fogging (HDPE doesn't fog, that's PVC!)

nomad709 likes this.