The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Good decision, I think. Because turn tables are highly mechanical and fairly delicate I’d do anything I could to avoid buying a used one. Particularly if it’s a very current model. Id feel differently if I was looking to restore an old LP 12 or something. ...Or very very budget constraint. But buying a current 1200 used in the hopes of saving just a couple hundred dollars would be a nonstarter for me.

Joel S likes this.
  2. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Well everyone here has probably seen the thread on AK. If not, be advised that the next GR You see here in the states may in fact come from Malaysia. Just as the Mk7 does. Some see that as a bad thing, but I do not. I think these tables are fantastic no matter what country they are built in so long as the same materials and care is taken when assembling them.

MikeJedi likes this.
  3. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The Dealer I backordered mine from around March 20th said mine would still be made in Japan. I agree with you I’m sure they will be fine but I hope the dealer is accurate (they are a very reputable dealer ) maybe the order he has in will still have the made in Japan and he knows that from Technics I am guessing. ...

4. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Link? I don't know who is making corporate decisions at Technics, but sounds like they're doubling-down on a failed strategy. Consumer acceptance of made in Malaysia Technics is low, and I don't see that improving when/if they move GR production to Malaysia. I know one customer they'd be losing: me. I hope that rumor is incorrect, but maybe that was the plan all along. Let the Malaysian plant cuts its teeth on the low level Technics, then after a while move all production there. Sad, if true.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    MikeJedi likes this.
  5. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Think about it, and it will.

6. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I was thinking that, but didn't they have lockdowns in Malaysia, too? Also, GR scarcity was also a problem before Covid.

7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

It, so far, is a rumor posted by someone who joined that site and audiogon to make this claim without any evidence other than his claim. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true...

8. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Thanks. I appreciate your reply.

MikeJedi likes this.
  9. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

If inventory levels are low, less units can be sold.
    So it’s a disappointment that people have to wait a long time before a unit becomes available for purchase.
    That’s the only thing I can think of.

But I also think that most people would know by now that logistical problems are widespread because of covid and the global shortage of chips.
    So most people would try to be patient.

MikeJedi likes this.
  10. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

TECHNICS GOES MALAYSIA ? – USA Tube Audio

They are an authorized dealer according to the Technics website, though for the life of me I can’t imagine why. For them to attempt to sabotage one of the brands they have partnered with is totally unprofessional. If they don’t like their decision then drop the brand or have these discussions privately.

And sorry but I disagree with you. The mk7 1200 Is better built than other tables of comparable price. The issue is that it was not designed to be a perfect substitute for an old Mk2 in a club setting, yet that is how it is marketed.

What makes these tables extraordinary is the engineering, and the material choices. So long as these are maintained and they are just as carefully assembled I don’t really care where they come from. As audiofiles we tend to obsess on all sorts of things. Some that matter, others that don’t.

11. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

(This is one of my posts from the AK thread about this.)

I actually emailed the owner of USA Tube Audio, via their website. ..Below is my email:

Greetings:

Why the sarcastic, snarky note on your Technics page re: Technics moving it's TT production to Malaysia? ..Shouldn't you withhold such harsh judgment until you see how they're built? Moreover, you sell ton's of gear made overseas, including Arcam. Do you tell ALL customers to be wary of ALL such gear - or just Technics?

While my American made amp was being repaired, my dealer loaned me an Arcam Integrated, and it was beautifully made - in Vietnam.

The reply (came just 10 minutes later)?

Hello XXXXX,

Glad you are happy with your Arcam -

The facts are the facts…...

12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I would never do business with that company.

ODS123 and recstar24 like this.
  13. Oelewapper

Ha! If they were about facts, they would publish the actual email coming from Technics, instead of some text they typed themselves that’s supposed to look like a real email coming from Technics.

MikeJedi and csgreene like this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What you really mean is that SH.TV forumite acceptance of MIM Technics is low, or at least it appears that way to you based on access to limited information.

recstar24 and csgreene like this.
  15. Oelewapper

I think he might be right for the higher 1200s... In general, the “higher-end”a component is, the more important a “made in USA” “made in Germany” or “made in Japan” tag becomes.

csgreene likes this.
  16. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

There aren't many companies in which I have confidence, but Technics is one of them. If they did actually move their manufacturing to Malaysia, I would absolutely give them the benefit of the doubt that their QA would be maintained.

That said, "some guy in Scottsdale" doesn't know $#!+ from shinola.

punkmusick likes this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

In theory, yes. In practice, not always.

Look at Hegel and Parasound as prime examples.

Oelewapper likes this.
  18. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

There is no doubt that it would be better from a marketing standpoint for ALL 1200’s to be made in Japan. But that would dissipate after a few production runs if the dealers confirmed for their customers that the Malaysian sourced tables are built every bit as well.

nowadays, car buyers don’t really care if their BMWs don’t come from Germany or that their Camrys dont come from Japan. Both of these companies build cars are in the states now and consumers are quite fine with that because they found that they still feel very much like BMWs and Camrys.

Oelewapper likes this.
  19. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

What do you think about the SMD parts in the new Technics tables? The good thing about the SL & SP classic models is that 40+ years later are serviceable.

20. Oelewapper

SMD parts are serviceable depending on their package.
    Most SMD capacitors, inductors and resistors can be soldered by hand using a normal soldering iron... but a BGA package not so much, without professional equipment to reball the chips.

The good thing is that SMD components have tighter tolerances and FWIW in audio, are less prone to EMI issues.

patient_ot likes this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

SMD parts are serviceable, just not by an average old school tech or hobbyist usually. Parts on these new decks should be available for awhile. Furthermore most new electronics are full of SMD parts.

22. Oelewapper

Yes but cars are more of a mass market product, especially compared to luxury boutique products.
    Those products rely a lot more on a “national reputation” just like Swiss watches and Italian suits.

23. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

While we like that these tables were built in Japan I am betting that most of us bought them because we wanted The unmatched rotational precision of direct drive, we like S shaped arms with a removable headshell, and the industrial design and material choices made in building these decks.

So if someone turns their nose up at these TTs because they are made in Malaysia, where do they go for such a table? Nowhere… Because there isn’t anybody else making tables like these.

MikeJedi and Oelewapper like this.
  24. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

It’s still just a rumor. I would think we would see an official press release. Could still be happening imo but maybe a little while down the road until they are coming full from the new factory.

25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Good point. I will NOT own another belt drive table again. My GR is and end game table for me. I'm glad mine was made in Japan but if I didn't already have one and IF Technics moved production to Malaysia, I'd at least consider it. I actually thought of buying a second one of these but decided I don't listen to enough vinyl on my secondary system to change the table from my excellent vintage Technics SL-QL1 which I've owned for a good 35 years now.

recstar24 likes this.