Complete Chicago IV coming ("Chicago at Carnegie Hall")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmpatrick, Apr 7, 2021.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Didn't see this one coming. That's a lot of Chicago.

2. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

No. The point is that a 4-disc set has been available since the last reissue (if a 4-disc set is what you want). But I guess you are anxious to be dazzled by all the technical advancements that have occurred between 2007 and 2021 remastering. :laugh:

audiomixer likes this.
  3. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I am not a huge Chicago fan but do like their early stuff so I found a nice copy of Chicago IV LP box on ebay with a box in ex shape for cheap money and grabbed it. I listen to mostly live concerts and thought it sounded ok so this new complete run box set intrigues me as I am a sucker for complete concerts.

A bit pricy and even though it does not say it is limited edition I might be tempted to grab one as these expensive box sets from Rhino tend to be limited print runs and once they sell out I doubt they will make more of them.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  4. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

The previous 4-disc set sounds really good, considering the limitations of the recordings. I'm good.

5. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I hope Lee Loughnane, the original member who supervises Chicago's reissues, reads this forum so that he becomes aware that his favorite recording/remixing engineer receives lots of love from this forum.

BeatleJWOL and Pianoman99 like this.
  6. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Actually the record label should have taken notice of this by now.

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's become really tough to get though. Cheapest Amazon copy is $106.

ARK, 905 and Mickey2 like this.
  8. AudiophilePhil

Rhino without the involvement of Bill Inglot??

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Rhino is now a very different company.

BeatleJWOL, ARK, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Perhaps a new set of Monitors for Jessep and Lee in their studio would help?

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The members of Chicago did, apparently. And they didn't like what Steven Wilson did with Chicago II. Make of that what you will.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I found the 4 disc remaster to sound too digitally compressed. The only decent digital mastering is the original Columbia 3 disc set IMO.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Sounds weird, I don't think it's 'remastered' at all while most of the material wasn't released before.
    Apart of the tracks that ended up on the original LP set the rest must've been mixed properly first. So '(re)mix' is more possible to say IMO.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  16. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

I understand tweaking to some degree, if you're releasing a 1-volume idealized concert culled from the whole run. But when your package's mission is specifically to present the complete set of shows, make it warts and all. That tells the story of the performances better and more truthfully. Play with the mix if you want, but leave the music alone.

ARK, AudiophilePhil and limoges like this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hope there's coming one or two preview tracks before the set's release, so then we can judge the mixes/masters.
    [Edit:] Just watched that announcement video. From the snippets I heard (in case that's the sound we'll get) it sounds alright to me. But probably it's too early to judge already.

18. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Wow, really? Wilson's remix is my go-to now. And I can't even listen to the 50th anniversary CTA.

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

In the wrong sonic setting you sure can.

Pianoman99 likes this.
  20. AudiophilePhil

What they actually need are new sets of ears.

longdist01 and Humbuster like this.
  21. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Yes, the original was even better. But the Japan concert is better sounding.

22. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I would need to know the brand and size of the mouthpiece first...
    (yes, I played trumpet back in high school, and was pretty good, so I would know the difference).

limoges and AudiophilePhil like this.
  23. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Chicago was the first non-classical group to perform six nights in a row (plus two matinees!) at Carnegie Hall 50 years ago. To honor the 50th anniversary of Chicago’s historic concerts, the band will release all eight Carnegie Hall shows, in their entirety, for the first time in a new 16-CD deluxe boxed set. CHICAGO AT CARNEGIE HALL COMPLETE, available July 16, beautifully commemorates the event through memorabilia that includes replicas of the three posters that accompanied the original vinyl release and images of the original concert program, tickets, and more from the historic run. The collection also comes with a 28-page booklet illustrated with photos from the concerts, plus new liner notes with contributions by Lee Loughnane, archivist Jeff Magid, writer/producer David Wild, and comedy icon/Chicago fanatic Jimmy Pardo. Pre-order your copy now: Chicago At Carnegie Hall Complete

24. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

25. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

well this truly is a treat
    :cool:

RockRoom likes this.