Interesting Array Of Vinyl Pickups

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by AnalogJ, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959 Thread Starter

I went to my local Newbury Comics for an anniversary sale yesterday, 20% off everything, and picked up an interesting variety of records on vinyl yesterday.

1) Monty Alexander's Love You Madly - live at Bubba's. This was a RSD release from Resonance Records that was in the sales bin. With the additional sale, it came to $32. And oddly, from the promotional materials, it seems to have been mastered all-analog, which is unusual with Resonance, as every vinyl record from them previously has been mastered digitally.

2) Laura Benanti s/t. She's known as a Broadway musical theater actress, but she also has a great cabaret act. She tends to take personal and surprising twists on pop and musical theater songs. Newbury Comics arranged with Sony Records to put out her latest album exclusively on vinyl, and she has signed every one of the 500 copies.

3) Devils and Dust by Bruce Springsteen. This was a reissue copy from last year. I haven't heard the whole thing previous to buying it, but this, too, was in the sales bin. With the additional sale, it came to about $17.

4) The 45rpm MoFi of Dire Strait's Love Over Gold. I have been wanting a copy. Usually Newbury Comics overprices their stuff. They have a OneStep of Stevie Ray Vaughn's Couldn't Stand The Weather for $166. Who knows, with the market for OneSteps, someone will jump at that copy one day.

NC normally prices their MoFi 45rpms at $60, but it had been stickered at $50, normal retail. In fact, it initially rang up at $60, but the sales clerk corrected it, then took the 20% off.

I'll have an interesting array of listening to do over the next week.

Skull and MonkeyTennis like this.
  2. Skull

Skull Forum Resident

Ha! Just came back from my first Salem trip! Very cool little place! Was gonna go to Record Exchange but it was closed.

Went to Newbury as well but that was in Warwick RI. Glad to see they're still around. Bought a couple of things and they even still sell used vinyl which is nice.

Cheers! :laugh:

AnalogJ likes this.
  3. AnalogJ

Maryland, eh? What part? I know a few folks from there.

What brought you to Salem?

Yeah, with COVID-19, the owner of the Record Exchange has had to reduce staff. He's practically a one-man operation now. A great store. Come back and check out the store when it's open.

Glad you got to a Newbury Comics. The absolute best one in the system when it comes to vinyl is the one in Norwood, MA, just south of Boston. It's a huge store, with perhaps 1/5th of it dedicated to new and used vinyl.

If you ever go to New Hampshire or Maine, go to a Bullmoose store. The one in Portsmouth, NH is a fine one, and it's a cool town.

Skull likes this.
  4. Skull

Skull Forum Resident

Rockville. Outside DC.

Well, went to school at URI in the early 90's (back when college radio, WBRU and WRIU, were king!) and never made it there! Was too busy doing other stuff I guess. I did make it to Residency but was in a bit of hurry. My collection is about 99.9% complete anyway, ha!

Have to check that Bullmoose if I ever make it up that way.

Cheers! :laugh:

AnalogJ likes this.
  5. AnalogJ

I have a friend in Rockville! Small world!

Skull likes this.
  6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The anniversary sale is one of the very few that includes items from the sale bin in the discount, so well done on taking advantage! I've been known to hit 3 or 4 stores on that day and really loading up, but it's a busy work week for me this week. Oh well, next year. Nice haul!

AnalogJ likes this.
  7. Skull

Skull Forum Resident

Ha! Slim chance I might know him! Who knows. You can PM me if you want.

8. AnalogJ

Thanks. I think in this case was a one-use coupon code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.