'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Listened to Tina Brooks' The Waiting Game TP last night. Excellent album. The whole quintet plays really well but Drew and Brooks elevate the session, Brooks especially. If I'm not mistaken he composed all songs except for Stranger in Paradise, as well as arranged them all which is really impressive. His solos never become rote or boring, and are always creative. The guy was a major talent gone too soon. This is one I'll put in solid rotation. :thumbsup:

2. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

If you really like Metheny's music, check out Rick Beato on youtube, he has a couple of videos on Pat's work and how he writes, practices, etc. Rick is a music producer and is very talented and knowledgeable, his take on Metheny is quite fascinating.

Joti Cover, Dmann201, ETSEQ and 5 others like this.
  3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Oh, I have seen a couple of these. They're very much worth watching.

Aeryn Sun and scotti like this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well as fate would have it, I had some BN 80s pulled out to enjoy yesterday and sidetracked on to other records and it could be quite sometime before I get to them now. I did get to some Tone Poet "Grant Green" and the wife got to enjoy over a 30 minute back massage while "Born To Be Blue" played. Just one of my many ways of talking her in to getting more records.

And if I may sidebar, if anyone has not heard the Kenny Drew Trio album that was recorded in 1956 and released in 1957 on Riverside. I would highly suggest you to check it out. Just got my copy a couple days ago (used) and this record is an absolute monster! Joined by Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones, the music is outstanding and the SC is incredible. This is easily Beyond Highly Recommended, just WOW!

And on tap to start the afternoon, I decided to go way back in time to the 9/25/20 release date and listen to a side each from Prayer Meeting (can I get a couple of hallelujah's please), Further Explorations, and My Point Of View. Another wonderful day of music awaits!

5. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

You mean this one? It's excellent. I love the cover of "Caravan" on it. I've had my Victor Japan pressing for about 40 years.

[​IMG]

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome! Got the Japanese Riverside version myself.

mktracy, Dai and Josquin des Prez like this.
  7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Kenny Drew Trio is a great record. The OJC sounds spectacular.

8. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Lol scotti! Thanks for the tip. Just hope she doesn’t sneak onto this thread while you’re spinning Kenny Drew Trio :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    mktracy and scotti like this.
  9. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

That's all it takes to get me checking out Discogs, ha ha... I'm so easy. Lots of copies of the Japanese issues of Kenny Drew Trio at good prices.

I love buying from Japan for several reasons, not least of which is that from posting to delivery literally has never taken more than six working days, usually five. Then the vinyl is always so beautiful... I received a King Happenings today: VG+ but plays like NM. And such beautiful Japanese stamps from this private seller. The music is transcendent.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  10. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I know it has been mentioned for July, but the Lighthouse set is 7/30...got confirmation.

12. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Bummer, then Target will be canceling my preorder pretty soon. Was really looking forward to that one next month.

Biff Jones likes this.
  13. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I'm playing mine now. It sounds great and is in M- condition.

Dmann201 and scotti like this.
  14. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The one Tone Poet that I don't see in my local Bull Moose Music stores is Jackie McLean's "It's Time". Although it's not my favorite McLean, I was thinking about picking it up to hear what Kevin Gray did with it. Jackie's off-pitch sound on some of his Blue Notes can be like fingernails on chalkboard to my ears. :) :)

Bradd likes this.
  15. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I keep filling in on back catalog titles during this lull. Just got Face to Face and am expecting All In My Mind tomorrow, and the two new classic titles arrive Monday with the 80th title Ethiopian Nights arriving later in the month. Oh and thanks to a post in the Craft thread, I have Saxophone Colossus 2017 due here next week. Fun times for jazz collecting, even though the wallet is taking a hit. But I did sell off about $800 in records I didn't want in a recent "garage sale" so I'm justified in acquiring more!

Twinsfan007, trd, YEX 750-1 and 2 others like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

What an exciting day it is! Got some more Tone Poets on tap and ready to listen to shortly and then at 4:15 is the Cardinals home opener, with the arrival of Nolan Arenado in St. Louis. I'm so pumped up right now, still can't believe we got him. Fans are going to lose it today from the excitement. I can almost hear Mike Shannon right now, how about some frosty cold ones...don't mind if I do. Got my Cardinals shirt on, peanuts, hot dogs, and homemade scorecard ready to go!

Dmann201, mktracy, trd and 6 others like this.
  17. this is how i feel about hockey season. I'm lukewarm on my Jays this year - love the position players, don't love the pitching, but you never know.

keeping it on topic, I'm awaiting the arrival of Poppin' today. my TP collection is now: Etc. Born to be Blue, Sings/Sobs, Chant, Kicker, Oblique, Tender Moments, Further Expressions, It's Time, Bass on Top, Rajah, Waiting Game, Byrd in Flight. Today's the last day of classes (i'm a college instructor). I'm going to go hiking after work and then settle in with a bottle of scotch and as many of these records as I can stay awake for.

Aeryn Sun, mktracy, trd and 7 others like this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I hope you enjoy yourself, sounds like you certainly have earned it. Much admiration for teachers/instructors especially in these crazy times. And of course for anyone out there in the medical field (which my wife is). That bottle of scotch and some great Jazz should make all things right in the world, good for you!

mktracy and bliss44 like this.
  19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Received Poppin’ and The Rajah today, spinning the Hank Mobley now and wow what a fantastic Tone Poet release!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

21. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Any particular mono issue/year?

22. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Do you have a link?

23. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I have the ‘83 US OJC LP.

vinylshadow and mktracy like this.
  24. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Ok...That appears to be the only stereo issue.

If it was originally in mono, did they do some kind of funky dial turning to make it stereo?

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

(Lighthouse 7/30) sorry, but no I do not. I asked Joe if he had an update on the street date when I asked about the "Quiet Kenny" being a fold down, which I knew it most likely was, but nice to have confirmation.

Dignan2000, mktracy and Aleksander86 like this.