Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!) Thread Starter

Scanning through a freshly released RSD list, there’s a mention of this new version of the She’s The One OST. I’ve always liked this album, even if TP didn’t seem to, and it felt like it went missing among the Wildflowers reissue bonanza. Now however, it’s getting an overhaul to close out the Wildflowers programme. This is a curious bit of revisionist history as “this version will replace the existing physical versions of She’s The One”. What do you think, gang?

Full statement below:
    To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the release of She’s The One, we are releasing a remixed, remastered and re-imagined version of this album. The original album included several songs that were left off the original Wildflowers album (recently included as the All The Rest disc in the Wildflowers & All The Rest re-issue), so this re-release is an appropriate ending to the campaign celebrating the Wildflowers-era. Ryan Ulyate (Tom’s long time engineer and producer) has remixed the audio, and the song selection is designed to work as a TPHB album, rather than a soundtrack album. Four unreleased tracks have been added; the rocker “105 Degrees” (written by Petty), a cover of JJ Cale’s “13 Days”, “One of Life’s Little Mysteries” (another Petty original), and an instrumental (“French Disconnection”) in the same vein as the instrumentals on the original album. An extended version of “Supernatural Radio” is also included. The new title is a reference to one of the stand out tracks on the album, for which there will be a video. The new album will have brand new artwork, and this version will replace the existing physical versions of She’s The One, although the original release will remain on the DSP’s (in addition to “Angel Dream” being available digitally).

[Information taken from here : Record Store Day 2021 Full List! RSD 2021 | MusicZone | Vinyl Records Cork | Vinyl Records Ireland ]

2. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

i was generally underwhelmed by the presentation on the remastered wildflowers and it's associated remixes (a little too clean, with most of the rock & roll 'oomph' missing), but asjust another listener, i'll wait to hear what it sounds like - who knows, right?

smitquest

3. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Very, very excited for this. Hopefully more of Chris Bellman's handiwork! The STO reissue from 2017 is excellent and so I'd expect more of the same.

Myke, DocShipe, Fred1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

This is fantastic news. The Wildflowers box is the best thing I've listened to in years. Hopefully this is a true "appropriate ending to the campaign celebrating the Wildflowers-era"

5. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I'll get this even though I have the cd. The new songs make it worthwhile, plus on vinyl.

fourfeathers likes this.
  6. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Will there be a digital release?

mando_dan likes this.
  7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Is this just an RSD exclusive or will it get a wider release?

8. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Hmm... I was really hoping for a remaster of the original mix. Not having followed the other thread very closely, which tracks from She's The One were part of All The Rest? It looks like I may need to do a hybrid remastering from the original CD and All The Rest, unless it's been stated they're doing a remaster of the original.

9. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

As I understand it "Angel Dream" is going to be the means to re-introduce the Tom Petty/Heartbreakers soundtrack "Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One" to the market. As discussed last year, one of issues that would confront the market upon the release of "Wildflowers And All The Rest" would be that the release would cannibalize much of the soundtrack leaving the original programme fractured and arguably antiquated. This new issue seeks to remedy the situation in the best way possible by giving Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans a new programme of content to enjoy along with presenting the existing soundtrack in a new light much in the same way that "Wildflowers And All The Rest" spotlighted the original programme of that album as issued to market in 1994. More to come!

Usky, Bakeryrec, Alan57 and 17 others like this.
  10. Alright4now

Are you the Warners publicist?

11. farewelltransmission

Excited to have you at the helm again, @McCool! You added so much to the Wildflowers All The Rest release!

ARK, Bakeryrec, Sean and 4 others like this.
  12. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

The press release said it will be available digitally, so at least we know we won't have to wrestle in line with record collectors/flippers at 4am on RSD to get access to the music. I'm hopeful this means there will later be a CD and plain vinyl release too.

13. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Not sure if I like the album cover....[​IMG]

14. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It's the vinyl I'm interested in, but with a suppressed immune system I won't be physically able partake in RSD again this year.

Sean, faceinthecrowd and FJFP like this.
  15. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I really hope the vinyl is just an RDS first. This is obviously an essential release, and with Thirteen Days finally released, we can make the original 25 Song Line-Up for Wildflowers!

Also, two new Petty originals? Fantastic!

16. Alright4now

The cover is terrible, but whatever.

mbrownp1, Jimmy B., bmh5879 and 9 others like this.
  17. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

...I thought the same thing. Truly hideous. Looks like a bootleg. I will not judge a book by its cover, in this case.

Jimmy B., clhboa and AppleCorp3 like this.
  18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think they stole the backdrop from the Three Amigos film.

19. farewelltransmission

I don't hate the cover. At the very least, I'm glad it's not the same same yellow cover as the original release.:shrug:

Clonesteak, slashdot87, wdiv and 9 others like this.
  20. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I apologize for missing the context of your original posting:
    As stated in the press release, "Angel Dream" will represent a fully remixed, remastered and re-imagined version of the soundtrack as supervised by longtime Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' producer/engineer Ryan Ulyate.

"Climb That Hill", "Hope You Never", "California" and "Hung Up And Overdue" were all selected from the original double-disc programme of "Wildflowers" for the soundtrack in 1996. As these four tracks can now be easily heard within the context of the record from which they were originally recorded for, they have been subsequently removed from this forthcoming re-issue/re-casting of the soundtrack. It should be noted however that the version of "Climb That Hill" as originally heard on the soundtrack in 1996 was a version of that track that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers cut subsequent to the "Wildflowers" sessions for an unrealized project that has been referred to as "Wildflowers: 2". It's subsequent selection for the soundtrack in 1996 seems to have been in error as Petty told the musical papers in 2014 that the process of selecting content for the soundtrack in 1996 was "not his proudest moment" indicating that some oversights may have occurred. The version of the track which Petty had originally intended to include on "Wildflowers" in 1994 can now be heard on last year's archival issue "Wildflowers And All The Rest".

That stated by replacing the four tracks in question on the forthcoming issue, "Angel Dream", Tom Petty/Heartbreakers are able to collate tracks from the post-Wildflowers period inclusive of material recorded for both "Wildflowers: 2" and the soundtrack without diluting "Wildflowers And The Rest". Of particular note are two previously unheard Petty originals, "Angel Dream" alongside two tracks that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans have been clamoring for since the issue of the box set last year, "Supernatural Radio" [long thought by many fans to be sired to the "Wildflowers" project] and "13 Days" [a JJ Cale cover originally slotted as part of Tom Petty's track listing for the double-disc version of "Wildflowers"].

21. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

I adore the original She's The One album but those new tracks along with the remixed and remastered audio make this a no-brainer for me! Can't wait to give this a spin!

Sean, supermd, Sammy Banderas and 6 others like this.
  22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The cover looks like it would appeal to Deadheads. Or, if they add a few mushrooms, fans of The Allman Brothers ( who I love, btw.)

It's just too cheesy and I would prefer a plain brown wrapper.

Is it possible this is only the RSD vinyl cover?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Always loved this album, but Tom apparently didn't, or he didn't like the way the music was used in the film, or he didn't get along with the director or something.
    "Supernatural Radio" is a standout, and he covers a Beck tune , the name of which i can't say on this family-friendly forum.
    A Lucinda Williams song too.

smilin ed and Alright4now like this.
  24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Hmm. Always delighted to hear new TP music, of course. The cover art is a little embarrassing to my eyes. The "rationale" is a little muddled. So, it's not a soundtrack album anymore, but we get a new instrumental like the other instrumentals on the ... original soundtrack album. It is all weirdly revisionist.

If they really believe it is to "replace" STO in the back catalogue, it would make no sense for it to be a RSD exclusive. But we all know the recent mixed feelings about TP releases and what "exclusive" may or may not mean.

And I am still unconvinced this is the final chapter. I think it highly likely we will get a 5.1 Atmos mix of Wildflowers on physical media when the Amazon exclusive ends, packaged with the documentary. I have no hotline, just guessing.

25. veon

veon Forum Resident

The PDF of the RSD lists this as a RSD First. Coupled with the fact that the Wildflowers box set content was given a wider release eventually, I’d wager this set gets a wider release down the line.

marcb, Stone Turntable, Sean and 10 others like this.