The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Fully agree, I would’ve bought one anyways.
    But would I prefer it to be made in Japan?
    Of course.
    Would I pay 300 bucks more just to have it been made in Japan?
    Most likely, yes.

Maybe they have problems finding enough personnel in Japan, which would be a good reason to go somewhere else.
    But I think it’s a bad decision if it’s just to save a few hundred bucks on production...

csgreene, MikeJedi and ODS123 like this.
  2. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

New quality DD tables are not "in fashion" nowdays so not many options but turntables from the 70's & 80's are plenty on the second hand market, some very impressive models. I've been doing a lot of reading for the past year to learn about each brand, there are models completely serviceable that can go on for years and others that will give you trouble. Personally I can't afford the R or the G so I'll get an older Japanese table at some point. I already have a 1200 MK II, just looking for something different (better?), pricewise 800€ -2000€, about half of what the G costs new.

MikeJedi likes this.
  3. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I've been looking at the GR a bit.

I've been happy with my Marantz TT15 which I think was a step up from my Technics SL1200 MkI upgraded to Mk2 tonearm.

But I really miss the ability to swap different carts in and out.

I'm curious if anyone here has compared both the Marantz TT15 and 1200GR and if so, what your conclusions are regarding sonics. In particular, do you think the GR tonearm is the equal of the very nice one that comes on the Marantz?

4. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I don't think they'd do that honestly. I think they'd revise verbiage on their website (change Japanese craftsman to highly skilled craftsmen, or similar) but I doubt they want to do anything that makes it sound like a big deal. Seriously, for all we know many of the parts and subassemblies could be coming from Malaysia or China anyway.

I have a McIntosh Integrated Amp. I am quite certain that most of it - apart from the case-work and final assembly - is coming from overseas. There's no way McIntosh is making digital displays and processors in their charming little factory in upstate NY. ..Doesn't matter to me. It's still built like a tank, has wattage meters, tone controls, a mono switch and looks (to me) awesome :)

MikeJedi likes this.
  5. It's a suspicious commencement date, don't ya think? :laugh:

csgreene likes this.
  6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yeah it could be a joke April 1st kinda gives it away doesn’t ? Lol. Who knows. You never know tho lol!!

7. Oelewapper

I thought that at first too, but it was already published a few weeks before 1st of April.
    First day or last day of a month is common to start planned things.

8. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

USA Tube Audio would be dropped by Technics if they "pranked" the brand and their customers in that way. And it's still up... ..so, there's that.

What's also surprising is that USA Tube Audio has TON's of stuff - and some of it very expensive - on their site made in China. ...You'd think they'd be the very first to defend the quality of gear made in non-Japan Asia. Instead, their shaming Technics for doing what they've been doing for a long time - which is recognizing that great gear is great gear, regardless of where it's made.

csgreene likes this.
  9. Oelewapper

If you’re into vintage, you can find a very nice SL-1025 with a bit of luck for about 2k.
    It’s based on the SP25, but with a plinth and very nice tonearm which, IIRC, is a EPA-B500 that’s dynamically dampened.

10. Such an announcement would have been heard from a number of different sources, Matsushita being the primary one.

csgreene, Oelewapper and MikeJedi like this.
  11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yep. That’s why it’s still not clear this is even real yet ! :)

csgreene likes this.
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I have both, and honestly the Technics is better, not by a mile but it is better given that you have to consider the plinth the arms are attached to and the isolating quality of the feet. The dead nuts speed of the platter as well puts it over the top - if one could use the Satisfy arm on the Technics then it might nose ahead - but that won't happen.

I use both only because I had the opportunity to put the carbon satisfy arm on mine and it is a 9g effective weight arm (so is the arm on yours) unlike the GR's 12g arm and I have a MC cart that is higher compliance so it likes the Marantz arm situation better.

13. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Thanks for the reply.
    So do I understand correctly that you upgraded the arm on your Marantz to the carbon version? I think the stock arm is just the black painted aluminum..

14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yes, the silver carbon satisfy as opposed to the black aluminum, they are both fine arms which is why CA still uses them.
    I did get to hear the black carbon on a much higher end CA Ambient Solo deck before I traded it off, and the difference in sound was pretty stunning, that's why I say it really is hard to compare the arms as what they are mounted to makes a lot of difference.

riverrat likes this.
  15. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I’m noticing SL1500s back in , maybe a small hint supply chain is coming back so hopefully see some GRs soon. Anxiously awaiting awaiting my GR backorder :) :)

ODS123 likes this.
  16. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I hope this rumor isn't true, but if it is, this decision was made by the same guy at Panasonic who stopped production of Techies in the first place.

MikeJedi likes this.
  17. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I never said inventory levels were low. They're high apparently, since you can get them from pretty much any Technics dealer.

18. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

I think it’s a concern, especially with the G throwing a very heavy platter around like it’s nothing. Only time will tell, mine is approaching five years old now and so far so good.

I don’t think I would have bought my G had it not been made in Japan, while I can understand moving the production of the GR I can see moving the G without a substantial drop in price having a big impact on their desirability. I also question whether it’s true to be honest.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Big Blue, formu_la and Joel S like this.
  19. Oelewapper

I’ve seen many complaints that people have to wait a long time on backorders.
    Are those incorrect?

20. Oelewapper

In what way have SMD components inside in plinth to do with the platter on top of it?

21. Hardcore

Just in the sense that to be able to achieve that amount of instant torque, it is surely causing considerable stress on some of the electronic components. If and when those components struggle to do what is required of them we’ll have to figure out how to troubleshoot and fix them.

I may be wrong, there’s some presumption on my behalf but it seems to be a common problem with most modern electronics sooner or later. These tables are a complete unknown in that regard!

22. Oelewapper

So it's a concern related to the electrical power required to rotate a heavy platter.
    I think that it's just a matter of proper design, to make sure enough power can be delivered without stressing components.
    Basically every component breaks down eventually, but most components probably outlive us (when there's enough headroom), with exception to electrolytic capacitors (about 20 to 40 years), for semiconductors it's not well known, but it's probably over 40 years for most of them (operating on nominal specs at room temp).
    For example, plenty SN7400 series chips from the 60s/70s are still working just fine.
    However, overclocked chips - and other components that get hot for some reason like power transistors or 78xx/79xx power regulators - have a significant shorter lifespan.

Yes, that's an uncertainty with every newly designed device. Only time can tell.

Big Blue and Hardcore like this.
  23. Hardcore

Exactly, so it’s a question of whether Panasonic have really considered longevity or if they’ve just built a product to standard Panasonic specs. Another potential weak point over time is the optical speed control which sounds extremely complicated.

Chips should stay good in my experience, what tends to fry them is when the caps around them start supplying them with too many volts. It’s nearly always the cause of death in the AN6680 chip in the Mk2.

I’ve worked on Mk2s quite a bit and they’re so simple to understand, I wouldn’t have the confidence to get stuck in to one of the newer models though.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  24. Oelewapper

Well... it isn't. Many devices contain optical rotary encoders, from motors to digital volume control wheels. The weak point is the laser or diode that emits "light" through the rotary encoder, which decreases in intensity over the decades. Another risk of those optical components is contamination by dust, but AFAIK, the rotary sensor is in an airtight enclosure.
    The 1200G also uses hall sensors (similar to the detector coil on the MK2s), so those probably act as a "second opinion" in case of errors (or the other way around).

You don't necessarily need to understand a device in order to repair it - it's useful, but not necessary. As long as you can find the faulty component and replace it.

formu_la likes this.
  25. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Those complaints are about the G/GR models. The 1500C is available everywhere I shop online.