Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

NP:

[​IMG]

A straight ahead session of mostly standards issued by Venus Records of Japan. Excellent sound.

2. @LongHairedJazz - What do you like about Solo Monk (Columbia)? Please do elaborate.
    I'll listen again.

I like Texas Twister and will be exploring more Buddy Tate.

Great anecdote.
    Playing for fun after another set feels very much in the spirit of jazz.

Excited the list is available for RSD!

Bob Belden's surround SACD is added to the Want List. I'm eager for more jazz in surround.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  3. ATR

ATR Senior Member

This looked good to me checking out the personnel on discogs. Kilson from Dave Holland's bands, Lovano, Herwig, and my favorite Lew Soloff. I'm listening to it right now on Q0buz and found a relatively inexpensive used copy of the SACD for sale. Going to be hard comparing it to some of the surround discs I have already though, as to best sounding.

4. RSD 2021 jazz titles part 1

Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny (Craft, AAA mono, Kevin Gray, Cohearent Audio, RTI, tip-on jacket). I'll buy this one :)

[​IMG]

CHAMPIONS - Rare Miles from the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions (Likely digital, yellow vinyl)
    [​IMG]

ELLA FITZGERALD Original Grooves: Ella in Berlin (two takes in parallel grooves, part of new series)
    [​IMG]

Verve Label Group is proud to launch a new vinyl series, Original Grooves, available exclusively on Record Store Day. Original Grooves showcases the vinyl cutting technique known as "parallel grooves”, where grooves are cut side-by-side instead of one after another, allowing for a different aural experience depending on where the needle is dropped. The second of this series comes from Ella Fitzgerald. This 12" Single LP features live versions of Mack the Knife and Summertime from the legendary 1960 Berlin performance, with the 1962 “Lost Berlin Tapes” versions “hidden” on the neighboring grooves.

Roy Hargrove In Harmony
    (Grundman, RTI, likely digital as with all Resonance Records)
    [​IMG]

RAHSAAN ROLAND KIRK Live at Ronnie Scott's, London 1963 (Gearbox AAA. Yeah!)
    [​IMG]

Previously unreleased recording from the legendary multi- instrumentalist Kirk, cut direct from tape and issued as a 200g premium pressing with Gearbox’s famous production values. Kirk’s influence and following reaches far beyond Jazz. Hendrix idolized him and it’s easy to see why. His appetite for ripping up the rulebook has brought kudos and admirers from all sides, giving him a status and respect that ensures an unearthed, never before released recording such as this added importance.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  5. RSD jazz titles part 2

Peggy Lee World Broadcast Recordings (mastered at Infrasonic, assumption its digital)
    [​IMG]

Monk - Custodian's Mix (remaster...covered elsewhere)
    [​IMG]

Charlie Parker Bird in LA (4LP, digital?)

Previously unreleased historic recordings from Charlie Parker's legendary and highly eventful visits to Los Angeles.
    Does this coincide with the graphic novel about Bird in California?

[​IMG]

SALAH RAGAB- Egyptian Jazz (Strut I'd expect to be digital)

[​IMG]

Barney Wilen La Note Bleue (Newly re-mastered from the original 24-track master tapes)

[​IMG]

And ..
    VARIOUS ARTISTS
    Jazz Dispensary: The Dank D-Funk Blend, Vol. 2 (While it says 'remastered from tapes', when I corresponded with mastering engineer on earlier volume, it had digital mix stage, unlike individual Jazz Dispensary albums).

Did I miss any beyond the Bill Evans Behind the Dikes noted earlier?

Nothing in this second batch that I want on vinyl. Streaming is fine, though the Resonance titles don't seem to stream often.

Starwanderer, SJR, Radio and 2 others like this.
  6. NP: Ornette Coleman - Ornette at 12 (Impulse)

On my second listen while avidly posting about RSD jazz titles.
    I think that's drummer 12-year old Denardo perched on the three bar gate with his dad.
    Amazing to hear him hold his own in this quartet at such an early age.
    [​IMG]

7. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Does it mention analog or digital recording anywhere? They offer this on vinyl and I was on the fence but couldn't find out how it was recorded. I don't typically buy digital recordings on vinyl.

8. NP: Leo Wright - Blues Shout (Atlantic stereo 1961)

Shout out to @Lonson for one of his first jazz LPs.
    First listen—the violin and flute set this apart. Really enjoying this album.
    Was looking for grey, overcast skies to match the cover, and Massachusetts cloud cover cleared, and remained resolutely blue.

[​IMG]

9. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

This is the back cover credits for the FLAC download...inconclusive...

[​IMG]

10. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Here's the link for the studio website. There's a listing for the gear. I'm not sure how the Hudson album was recorded?
    Home

11. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

There's a recent article on Billboard on jazz books which I found interesting.

From History to Biographies, Here Are the Best Books About Jazz

I would add:

Val Wilmer - As Serious As Your Life
    Graham Lock - Forces in Motion
    Art Pepper - Straight Life
    George Lewis - A Power Stronger Than Itself
    Phil Freeman - New York Is Now!

12. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

Billboard's is a pretty good list, but As Serious as Your Life and A Power Stronger Than Itself are serious omissions.

13. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

Anthony Braxton / Eugene Chadbourne - Duo (Improv) 2017 (New Braxton House CD box, 2020)

8 CDs, with one hour-long duo improvisation on each disc. I'm up to disc 3.

[​IMG]

14. jbg

jbg Senior Member

15. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

NP ..and his mother called him Bill

[​IMG]

16. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Serious As Your Life is indeed a great read.

17. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

agreed. I would add Straight Life to the list.

anyone have a good Ellington book to recommend? I read the Teachout tome, but I found it oddly negative. I loved reading it because Duke's life was fascinating, but I'd love another perspective.

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes, this is a great album, nicely arranged, great players giving great performances.

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

20. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

I'm reading Teachout's Duke right now and agree that it has a sour, negative tone to it. Ellington's nephew Stephen James wrote an interesting critique of Teachout's approach in the Journal of Jazz Studies: https://jjs.libraries.rutgers.edu/index.php/jjs/article/download/77/64/339.

For another perspective, I recommend Harvey G. Cohen's Duke Ellington's America from 2011: https://www.amazon.com/Duke-Ellingtons-America-Harvey-Cohen/dp/0226112640.

21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Crazy week but sailing to calmer waters now with Horace...
    [​IMG]

fingerpoppin, Jeff449, jbg and 15 others like this.
  22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I managed to catch Richard and on my second attempt in Toronto. The first show was canceled due to the great eastern seaboard blackout. A few years later he did a solo show solo in a small club and it was sublime.

Irish51 and davidpoole like this.
  23. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

thanks for the links! btw as a drummer, I'm a huge fan of your avatar. One of my favorite Klee pieces!

SeeDubs likes this.
  24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

That happens to me with heavy books too.

garthhudson likes this.
  25. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

You're the first person who's mentioned my avatar -- thanks for noticing.

GnuHigh likes this.