The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Yep! In fact, it's so good I haven't been in any big hurry to acquire any more E72 stuff. I'll probably rectify that soon...

KCWhistle, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I meant Ladies & Gentleman! But Steppin’ Out and the two Europe ‘72 volumes are so good.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, she's on "Beat It On Down The Line," and a few other parts. The Winterland tapes are confusing since some tapes are from the two-tracks with her original vocals, and some are from the multitracks with her studio vocals, or barely audible vocals. The two-track from 10/16 has a truly awful scream in "Playing" while in the movie she has a different, not quite as bad scream.

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Donna did overdub her parts for SYF, and as @SJR notes the new mastering of this album is very, very good.

Not to be missed: Scarlet Begonias which opens set 2 in style, and Ramble On Rose which is museum quality. Also, what is labeled Weirdness on the Movie Soundtrack is the weirdness that immediately precedes Morning Dew in the Movie.

The Weather Report Suite from this show appears from the multitrack mix on the Beyond Description Bonus Disc.

I believe the multitrack tapes are in the Vault, and save for edits made for the Movie, they could be restored for a proper release of all 5 nights.

PS- A friend here informed me that the 1st set of 20 October 1974 was in fact filmed, my bad for believing the Ugly Rumors that they ran out of film. Mind you these were the same rumors that said Egypt was not worth listening to- hogwash!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    ARK, Crispy Rob, KCWhistle and 9 others like this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

7 April!

1972- Empire Pool. Hit the first set of the E72 Tour last night, and the big jam this morning. The more I listen to the big box the more I wish they'll give Norman the go-ahead to remix that sucker properly. Great music, tho, as y'all know.

1978- Sportatorium, FL. A delicious show that finds the band in the pocket, and the audience appreciative. Noticing this morning that Jerry and Donna Jean are meshing wonderfully in the vocals, that March JGB Tour payed multiple benefits. Interestingly, this is the only show from April '78 that features the mighty duo of Terrapin Station > Playing In The Band, for the rest of the tour those songs appeared separately from one another. Their next outing was in Vermont in May, and is the finest rendition ever.

6. trd

trd Forum Resident

I know there are some fans of the Thoughts on the Dead blog here. Sadly Rick passed away yesterday at age 46 from cancer. His humor and writing will be missed. Steve Silberman, Jesse Jarnow, David Lemieux and Matt Busch (Bobby’s manager) have all chimed in on social media to mourn his passing, he obviously was well regarded by all in the online GD community.

I had one meaningful interaction with him that still makes me smile. To help pass the time on election night on Twitter he asked people to post pictures of their dog and he would respond “with the worst Grateful Dead related dog puns I can think of.” I posted a picture of my dog and instead of a pun he wrote “With no offense to any of the other gorgeous and loyal and intelligent and snazzy dogs, but this f***er’s my favorite.” When a few weeks later the Garcia brand cannabis debuted my neighborhood dispensary was one of the first to have it in stock and I was able to send him a small care package.

His brother posted this tribute yesterday,
    By the Waterside, I Will Lay My Head
    By the Waterside, I Will Lay My Head

ARK, Jerfan13, johnnypaddock and 18 others like this.
  7. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

What a loss. The characters he created for each band member are pretty much how I now believe each band member to have actually talked and behaved.

8. trd

trd Forum Resident

Yes! And I will forever refer to Mayer as Josh Meyers :D

9. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

This is heartbreaking. His blog was a terrific read and always thoughtful and hilarious. I feared he had been suffering given the pauses in posting, but I was not ready for this. This hit me harder than I thought.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Sbcrue, WaterLemon, Jerfan13 and 12 others like this.
  11. trd

trd Forum Resident

Me too

JuanTCB and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  12. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Sad, indeed -- his treatment of Billy always left me in stitches.

JuanTCB, bzfgt, trd and 1 other person like this.
  13. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Groundcat, Ivand, mBen989 and 6 others like this.
  14. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

trd likes this.
  15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

This comment is the funniest thing there:

sami, ARK, Ziggy Stardog and 9 others like this.
  16. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

1985-11-04 (Doug Lamarre recording)

Now that's a nice AUD. Common for The Centrum?

adamos likes this.
  17. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Today I checked out 3/20/71 (University Of Iowa). pretty good show. Highlights includes Truckin', Deal, Next Time You See Me, Cumberland Blues, Sugar Magnolia, Good Lovin' and Lovelight. This is a rather well played show. It's not the most incredible to come out of '71, but it'll do well enough given that there was some serious competition from that year. Much of these songs are played with vigor. The jamming during Good Lovin' and Lovelight is quite tasty. Big Boss Man, Bertha and Bobby McGee are some of the other highlights. This one is worth a listen. There are few shows from '71 that in my opinion aren't at least good, and this is an example of that.

trumpet sounds, US Blues, SJR and 5 others like this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

19. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Here’s a wondering I’ve always had.
    On the studio China Cat Sunflower, more noticeable on the ‘71 mix, a voice comes on right around the 2:05 mark.
    Does anybody have any idea who that is?

uzn007 likes this.
  20. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Blues for Allah is the fusioniest album. Terrapin Station (side 2) is the proggiest album.

ARK, KCWhistle, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  21. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

You mean 12-4-71? That "Other One" is a monster.

ARK, scribbs, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Is the recent remastering available on CD, or only as a download?

Matthew Tate and Freebird like this.
  23. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I think it was originally available as part of the RSD Grateful Dead Records Collection which was later released as a hi-res and redbook download, but no CD release yet.

ARK, KCWhistle, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’m not sure. I have the Rhino LP from a few years back (it was released alongside the Grateful Dead Records albums).

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

No idea. I checked it and the voice sounded backwards, but playing it backwards didn't make it sound any more intelligble.

In other news, that track is a worthwhile listen backwards.