Moving records.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chester0711, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am doing a large move soon and wondering if anyone else has done the same and had to move a large amount of records (~2000). What type of bin, crate or box did you use that was cost effective and kept your precious vinyl safe?

2. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Small size u haul boxes. You will need a lot of them but never had a problem with two moves of 2,000 miles.

3. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Yep, U-Haul boxes work splendidly!

bluesky and audiomixer like this.
  4. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

How do you move (ship) record collections overseas? I am planning to move back to Europe soon? (Sorry I hope I'm not hijacking the thread).

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

I've found that wine cartons work well. 750ml size, hold six bottles, just about the right size to hold 60 or so LPs - not too heavy to hold, and free! Just hit up your local liquor store on the day they get their weekly shipment (seems to be Wednesday around here).

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I have used small U-Haul boxes. But the issue with them is that you don't want to stack these boxes. So I would recommend that you buy some double wall boxes for the bottom row. Then buy U-Haul Boxes to stack on them to be more efficient in packing out the moving van.

18 x 12 x 12" 275 lb Double Wall Corrugated Boxes S-4725 - Uline

captouch likes this.
  7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Aside from all the other good reasons to shop anywhere but Uline, these won't work. They are 12x12x18, UHauls are 12 5/8x12 5/8 and records fit just right.

Jesper Poulsen, Aftermath and harby like this.
  8. timind

timind phorum rezident

I moved overseas and back again while in the military. Movers used standard boxes that were probably 12x12x16 (guessing) for probably 700-800 albums and never had a problem. Everything was packed in a large shipping container for the the ocean journey.

edit: My point is, get some adequately sized boxes, pack them tightly, and don't worry about them.

forthlin, DrZhivago and Rick58 like this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Aftermath likes this.
  10. Shoe

Shoe Forum Resident

Smaller boxes = fewer records easier to lift I have moved about 3,000 records. Never had a problem except finding help.
    The vowing to never move again.

forthlin, timind and Rick58 like this.
  11. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I used Ikea Samla plastic totes that had flat bottoms. I'm not sure if they still do or not. To be safe I put a layer of thick cardboard on the bottom, and threw a desiccant in each one as well. You could safely stack them two high. Cardboard boxes would have been fine, but in this particular move they had to be out in the garage for a few days, so better safe than sorry.

12. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Brilliant, just bought 20 double sided boxes for $50....that’s cheap compared to other alternatives!

timind, Rick58 and Ntotrar like this.
  13. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

Yeah, can't speak to the quality of Uline boxes, but the owners of Uline are trash.
    (I try to keep politics out of these forums, but they are especially horrible people and they're not shy about inserting their politics into their products)

wellers73 and timind like this.
  14. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

When I moved from NY to Florida, I had about 300 records and used UHaul boxes. When I came back, I had closer to 1000 and used similar boxes to the Sleeve City ones linked above. I just put them on top of the book boxes in the truck. We ran a separate truck up for our book and record collections and their storage furniture.

15. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I just acquired a collection of about 1400 LPs. They were all in liquor boxes (24 of them), which seemed to be just the right size. No damage, and, I imagine these are free out behind your local liquor store.

16. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I recently heard the same. I am now avoiding U-Line.

17. harby

harby Forum Resident

I just checked one box and I can tell you what doesn't fit records - 12x12x16" Home Depot small moving box.

A Donna Summer triple gatefold needs 12 3/8" x 12 1/2" inside dimensions.

One record stacked can't squish another record, so neither can 400 records squish 400 records.

18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’m going to be between places for a few months, spending time instead at a vacation home. Has anyone had experience with storing records in a climate controlled storage unit?

I could lug them a couple of hours each way but prefer not to because I won’t have much listening time.

19. harby

harby Forum Resident

I stored plastic totes of records in an outside carport in rainy Oregon for years, all play just dandy.

20. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Yikes! Must've been nice totes and a nice carport. Jackets and sleeves didn't mind the humidity either?

21. harby

harby Forum Resident

[​IMG]

30 year old boxes and 30 year old vinyl. Don't know if you'd find this container anywhere now, but perfect for record-store-style flipping and hauling 100 lbs of plastic music to gigs. Not good for stacking more than two-high though, the lid squishes and the hinges pop out. Also good for transporting a kitty cat in a pinch.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  22. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Ha! I see a pissed-off kitty! :laugh:

23. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I've always had boxes built for moving my LPs and singles. It seems the safest approach inasmuch as they will always be purpose-built.

For my first house move, these boxes were built by the same company that built boxes for the record wholesaler that I'd worked for a few years earlier. So I just paid them a visit and asked for "Some of those and some of those."

The smaller box was a single wall, square-shaped top-loading box designed to hold 50 LPs laid flat. This box also held around 250 7"singles stacked upright.

The larger box was double-walled and twice as deep, holding around 100 LPs.

Within reason, such boxes are also stackable.

It might also be worth comparing costs between purpose-built boxes and off-the-shelf boxes.

24. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

10 years or so ago I remember using boxes from U-Line (I guess revelations have come to light they are aholes but there are probably many similar substitutes). They were very strong double walled and I had no issues, in fact I used the same boxes for 2 moves and still have them and they could be used again. Any valuable records I also took the added precaution of putting in sealed plastic outer sleeves in case of rain etc. That turned out to be an unnecessary precaution though.

25. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

I looked into this a bit when I moved permanently from Sweden to the US a few years ago, but the freight companies I looked into specifically mentioned in their contracts that record collections were not covered by insurance, and they ended up at my parents instead due to that I couldn't think of a secure enough way to ship them with very little time for the moving project. Been considering having them shipped here, but it is probably around 1500 records and 2500 CDs... Would be interesting to hear if anyone has any tips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.