2021 Edition: DVD Commentary, Bonus Features not carried over to the Blu-ray Release.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Apr 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

2021 Edition: DVD Commentary, bonus features not carried over to the Blu-ray Release.
    lets do an update!

2. Michael

also including Blu-Ray Commentary, bonus features not carried over to 4K!

3. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The Criterion DVD of SPARTACUS is essential for the brutally honest recollections of the participants. Fascinating stuff!

polchik likes this.
  4. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Slightly OP, but you have to buy He Walked By Night, T-Men or Raw Deal separately if you want the commentaries on Blu-Ray; the three-disc Blu-Ray set that features these has no commentary tracks. A raw deal indeed!!! :realmad:

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

that is crazy! geez...

6. Michael

I have that DVD...yes!

jwoverho likes this.
  7. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

The Battle of Britain has a terrific "making of" documentary narrated by Michael Caine that only appears on the DVD version; it's MIA on the Blu-Ray.

Michael likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We can go back before that: there are 1980s and 1990s laserdiscs where they had interesting documentaries, interviews, and commentary tracks that didn't make it to the DVD, let alone the Blu-ray. My favorite were Guy Hamilton's commentary on Goldfinger for Criterion, and Terence Young's commentary on Dr. No and From Russia with Love, also for Criterion. Criterion got the rights to the films, meticulously remastered them, got permission from the directors to do long interviews, released the laserdiscs... and then producer Cubby Broccoli hit the roof because a) he hadn't been asked and b) he didn't like some of the comments that were made (particularly some off-color jokes). Criterion was forced to pull the laserdiscs off the market and they quickly became valuable collectors' items.

I worked on remastering Annie a couple of times for Sony/Columbia Home Video (it truly is a hard-knock life in post), and they were surprised to learn from me that there was a one-hour "making of" documentary done about the film back in 1981, and that it was uploaded to YouTube. They searched their vaults from top to bottom but couldn't find it, and of course couldn't download the YouTube video and put that out... so nobody got to see it on DVD.

mBen989 and Michael like this.
  9. Michael

good stuff as usual....Thanks.

10. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

The new Arrow Blu of Switchblade Sisters passes on The Tarantino commentary. It's a hot mess, filled with inaccuracies but no shortage of enthusiasm. I can't sat it's worth paying collector prices for so why lose it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.