Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I can't seem to find it but I remember reading Cutler recorded Kahn's bass in a separate room in the Warfield. Anyone remember?

2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

At the risk of belaboring a point I've made before, I loved the initial idea of RSD but I absolutely f*****g despite what it has done to the hobby with this forced exclusivity crap.

3. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'm not an RSD guy generally, but the Garcia, Dead, and Prine live are musts, and maybe the Stringdusters and ABB. That's as much new vinyl as I'll buy in a few years normally.

4. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Participation is optional.

5. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

The tracks are probably taken from the following shows:

• The Way You Do The Things You - April 15, 1990
    • Waiting For A Miracle - August 9, 1990
    • Simple Twist Of Fate - April 15, 1990
    • Get Out Of My Life - August 9, 1990
    • My Sisters And Brothers - April 14, 1990
    • I Shall Be Released - August 8, 1990
    • Dear Prudence - August 8, 1990
    • Deal - August 7, 1990
    • Stop That Train - April 15, 1990
    • Senor (Tales Of Yankee Power) - April 15, 1990
    • Evangeline - April 15, 1990
    • The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - August 9, 1990
    • Don't Let Go - April 15, 1990
    • That Lucky Old Sun - August 9, 1990
    • Tangled Up In Blue - August 8, 1990

mike s in nyc and US Blues like this.
  6. GuidedByJonO)))

Of course. Technically participating in anything is optional. But the way the entire physical music biz has reoriented itself around ultra limited runs of one specific medium is, I would argue, overall a very, very bad thing for the continued existence of "new" physical media. Problem is that I've seen this "exclusive limited run" model being expanded beyond the borders of RSD and, for many artists/labels, seems to be their entire focus. Which is extremely short-sighted. I've spoken to more and more people in recent years who've completely gone off collecting new vinyl because it is more headache than it's worth. I'm not disparaging anyone that enjoys the hunt of RSD releases and I'm happy it gives money to stores! Very thrilled about that latter part! But it's a bummer that the success of RSD has encouraged labels to go the route of forced exclusivity.

For me, it comes down to the idea that RSD didn't need to turn into a super competitive hunt where more people walk away disappointed than happy, at the end of the day. I know most folks on these forums enjoy it, but let's be honest... most of the people here have the time and disposable income to track these things down all over the world and pay for extra shipping or whatever. But we don't represent the rest of the music collecting world and I am, more and more frequently in recent years, talking to people who gave up on RSD because they were (probably mistakenly, but let's not pretend that the promo hype around this "holiday" hasn't been... misleading, in some ways) under the impression that they could just walk into their favorite local shop and pick up, say, that cool new Bowie thing. But, no, more likely they need to spend the entire weekend bouncing from shop to shop in a multi-hour radius and maybe, just maybe, snagging a copy but more likely end up overpaying some flipper or just giving up completely. It didn't need to evolve this way, but it has, and, unfortunately it's spread to more and more of the non RSD releases as well and I think it's harming the hobby more than helping.

7. GuidedByJonO)))

I mean, this isn't the thread for my rant, so apologies for threadcrapping. I just think something like this, a seminal Garcia Band release that really opened a lot of eyes and ears to his non-Dead output (I know it was my introduction to his "other" band), and it deserves to be heard and bought by way more people that 7000 or whatever.

And I'll share one very recent example of why this new limited run thing frustrates me. I was really looking forward to the new New Bums record (Ben Chasny of Six Organs of Admittance and Donovan Quinn from Skygreen Leopards). I loved their debut and couldn't wait to buy the new one. It was released om March 19, 2021. I had to wait for a paycheck to order it, but when I went to purchase it last night, I found out it is completely sold out. A brand new album that was released not even twenty days ago is gone! This seems insane to me but, hey, people seem to want the hunt for forced exclusivity! I might be able to find it from a shop if I search long enough, but I can't buy it from their bandcamp page or the label. It's just gone. Someone really needs to explain to me how this is a good model for physical media.

8. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

@GuidedByJonO))) its an RSD First. It will be available wide after the limited run.

I also kinda hate RSD though.

ianuaditis, bzfgt, trd and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Your overthinking it, it’s just a fun day at the record story and a fun night of working through a fresh play pile. The people making music are getting paid, the stores have their best day of the year and the only people that are unhappy are not customers.

it’s no more serious that you choose to make it. Most of the limited stuff is silly variations of common material, it’s not going to sell in the millions. If something is super popular, they generally make more. You just hate records, it’s cool. But to say this hurts the music industry is nonsense. Now streaming, not a lot of financial support to artists from that.

budwhite likes this.
  10. GuidedByJonO)))

I don't hate records! I'm not sure where you got that from my post?

I'm going to stop threadcrapping on this particular soapbox of mine, but I will say a few more things:

1 - You say it's fun and it is fun for a lot of people, but among my real world record collecting friends, I would say it's pretty darn near to 50/50 between folks who love and folks who hate it. I don't know that an music obsessive forum like this, nor talking to your fellow line standers, is going to give you an accurate sample of the general music store shopping population.

2 - I do not agree at all with the assertation that it's mostly "silly variations of common material", there are a lot of live and previously unreleased or out of print stuff mixed in. Some of it does get pressed in larger quantities later, which is excellent! But not always, there is stuff that just goes away again.

3 - Finally, to clarify, I don't think it hurts the overall music industry, but I do think it is short-sighted specifically in creating new collectors of physical media. Not solely due to RSD itself, but the way the RSD mindset is informing other labels and non-RSD runs to be done in miniscule numbers. Sure, it makes it fun for the lucky few to find a copy and the flippers, but you're not seeing the frustrated people that missed out. Like I said, anecdotal and a tiny sliver sample, but I've known at least four of my friends who quit collecting vinyl completely because they got tired of the chasing and it wasn't fun for them anymore. That doesn't seem like something to brush off, to me.

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Minuscule number have a lot to do with minuscule demand. This JGB album has been available for 30 years. How much money do you think this material has made for anyone in the last 20 years? If this cost $150 retail, that’s 1.1 million dollar gross. If they did a repress on cd how many do you think would fly off the shelf? What shelf would it even sit on? An Amazon where houses shelf. RSD is the only thing that is keeping music sales from being internet only. Having a place to go to look at, listen and buy albums with other people helps people to become collections or to be people that buy more physical media. The only people that hate RSD are the ones that don’t go. Everyone I see is having a great morning.

there are plenty of fine reasons to skip RSD, turning people off from buying music isn’t one of them.

I hate to tell you how many RDS tiles I’ve bought that have been one and done for playing. I think most that participate would tell you the same thing. It’s like buying balloons after the show, fun and then a bit of a headache.

12. GuidedByJonO)))

I mean, come on. This is like saying "everyone at the shooting range loves guns", well, duh. But that doesn't translate to "therefore, everyone loves guns".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not singling you out, but you keep responding to me and I feel like you are missing my point. In simplest terms, I don't begrudge RSD or anyone that enjoys it and I'm thrilled it helps keep brick and mortar independent shops open so I can shop at them the other 364 days of the year. I don't want it to go away, I just wish it had evolved a little differently with less emphasis on extremely limited runs. I think there was still a way to celebrate music and indie shops without that becoming the main focus, but the horse is out of the barn on that count.

I just wanted to express the counter view because I know I'm not alone in being frustrated by how RSD has turned out and how it shapes the hobby.

13. sami

sami Mono still rules

I've personally never been to an RSD - I would have had to drive 50 miles or so to the nearest record store. The flipper thing to me is the worst aspect, and is mostly unavoidable unless the limited pressings are ended, which of course isn't happening. Whether or not we like it, that's a huge part of the appeal, and a reason that many will buy that record that they play once and file away. I think your points are valid, though, and the fact that it is good for brick and mortars is huge.

I may actually go this summer, as a tiny shop opened up behind an antique store a couple miles from me. I need to stop in and see if they are doing RSD.

14. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

While I would like to agree, the Garcia Live were flipped incessantly

15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

People are paying for the convenience not because they can’t do it themselves. I know everyone lives in a different town with different record store situations but I had a few day to get to the store on both.

16. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

I hear you. I tried a couple of local shops and they each only got two and I ended up finding one for $10 over retail on some store's website a few days later. But that didnt change the fact that many were bought for 2 to 5 times the price in the next few weeks because people have FOMO. Shi%$%. This is starting to sound like a Jazz thread. My bad.

Last thing on this...RSD is what you make of it. I go to a store that only tends to have a line of 10-20 people but they also have small stock so I generally dont get the big ticket items, but I get to support a store I dig, talk some tunes, and spend hard earned cash on pieces of plastic that spin around and bring a smile to my face.

trd likes this.
  17. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

GarciaLive Vol. 1 was available for months at list price.

18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

19. gdpeck

gdpeck Forum Resident

Are people actually flipping GarciaLive vol 2? Because that's one I'm not likely to play again.

edit: several for sell on Discogs at list price or lower, so no.

20. sami

sami Mono still rules

I might consider flipping it if it ever went up in value. Terrible recording of a meat and potatoes performance.

Dennis0675 and trd like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Putting Jerry shows on vinyl will engender a lot of flipping.

*crickets*

I'll show myself out...

22. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Indeed. And the first one you cant get for less than $169 on Discogs. Let me know if you decide to sell yours.

trd likes this.
  23. I bought Volume 1 at retail in August of last year, a full 9 months after release. So if you bought that in November to “flip” for $80 profit a year + later, probably not a good move in the world of quick profit.

uzn007 and sami like this.
  24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I hope they give this a wider release. These things in Canada are very hit/miss. And places like BullMoose do not work up here.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Great overdue selection. This set was such a revelation when initially released by Arista. I jumped out of my skin when I it saw it prominently featured at Tower Records in Boston. I had no idea it was in the works ( remember those pre-feed days!?). What a marvelous introduction to the Jerry Garcia Band in one of the late day high points. A great selection of music extremely well performed and recorded. I still think it remains to this day as one of those iconic releases to play for the un-initiated. I really don’t need a 5 LP box of this at a time when I have been trying to downsize my physical collection(s), but...you know...I may just have to get this in vinyl glory anyway and as a companion piece to the radio show LP which had been put out to promote the release featuring interviews and music snippets which I have.