A song that always feels profound to you no matter how often you've heard it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Every Grain of Sand

Fender Relic likes this.
  2. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

3. dlm1129

dlm1129 Forum Resident

I was scanning through all the posts, looking for this one before posting it myself so I'm pleased to see you beat me to it. Perfect choice. The song hits me in the empathy feels every time.

ARK, faceinthecrowd and MitchFlorida like this.
  4. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

5. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Music is always from someone's subjective perspective. To Lennon, it meant get rid of it all. That seems profound enough. It's irrelevant whether we agree with it or not, he's making a statement. Same as when he says God is a concept, by which we measure our pain, I don't believe in......(insert all the things he mentions) I just believe in me, Yoko and me, that's reality. Now I have to post God as a example lol

6. 80steen

80steen John McClane

7. Went up on the mountain
    To see what I could see
    The whole world was fallin'
    Right down in front of me

Pull myself together
    Put on a new face
    Climb down off the hilltop, baby
    Get back in the race

Gregg Allman - Dreams

ARK and Fender Relic like this.
  8. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

9. 80steen

80steen John McClane

@Fischman It's the lyrics of the music, so it has a lot to do with the music.
    You already said you don't think there is much that is profound but you seemed to be going after Imagine pretty hard before I even saw your comments about it. From your perspective you could have chosen any song. That's why it comes off that you have a anti Imagine or Lennon mentality.

10. Fischman

The point is that he has this philosophy. He's a musician so he set his philosophy to music. It has nothing to do with the music in that he could have written that sentiment in any form whatsoever. The music is incidental to the philosophy. Bottom line is that it's musical taste is subjective, but whether or not there's a lot of deep thought required to know the meaning of the song is not.

And here's the real difference that you're still not getting. While I could have said any number of the referenced songs were not profound in my opinion, I singled out Imagine because it is far and away the furthest away from profound of any of them, especially relative to its reputation. The others may not have been earth shatteringly new or required an IQ of 160 to understand, but Imagine is worse than not new, it actually goes backwards and it requires absolutely no depth of thought whatsoever. Rather than really addressing the subject matter, it deliberately dumbs it down.

So no, Imagine is nothing like the other songs referenced, at least on a scale of levels of profoundness. It is comprised entirely of elements which place it on the very bottom of that scale.

nedison likes this.
  11. 80steen

80steen John McClane

And yet it's the one song out of all of them that is asking us specifically to think, to use our minds. Hence the word Imagine.

12. Fischman

But it's asking us to "think" in a completely mindless way. That's the crux of the problem. Just chuck it all! Not much thought there. It's also asking us to think about things already proven untenable, which is double stupid.

limoges likes this.
  13. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

The Who “I Can See For Miles” with the jingle lead up from Sell Out gets me every time. The louder it is, the more my breath is taken away.

Radagast likes this.
  14. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

I am ashamed to admit I couldn't remember the jingle, so I had to cue it up. :) "Hold yer groove together, with Rotosound Strings!" :)

Kristofa likes this.
  15. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now - If you want to hear the inspiration for "Take It To The Limit", this came out in 1973, years before the Eagles song.

16. 80steen

80steen John McClane

It's mindless to you. But to someone who's mind is already filled with religious customs and rituals due to years of it being pounded down their throats, or a strong sense of patriotism or even nationalism, isn't so basic.

17. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Ten Years Gone - LZ

18. Fischman

You're confusing different with hard to understand. No matter how different it might be, just chuck it all did not require either depth of thought to create, nor depth of thought to understand. I grew up very much in that world you describe and I got it right away.

Even if its alien to one's upbringing, it's still an exceedingly simple concept, and as presented, it makes a very deliberate attempt to avoid depth of thought. Of course, it has to, because as soon as you apply even a modicum of depth in the thought process, the empty vacuousness of the song becomes obvious.

19. vertical

vertical Forum Resident

Taxi by Harry Chapin.

HaileyMcComet likes this.
  20. 80steen

80steen John McClane

The Most Profound Lyrics in Rock n' Roll - RYM/Sonemic
    Bro lol couldn't help but share this. So I'm reading this and look what shows up at the end of the list.

21. Robert9080

Robert9080 Forum Resident

Yes - Awaken.

22. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Dan Fogelberg - Same Old Lang Syne

vertical, ARK, Fischman and 1 other person like this.
  23. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

Even after almost 45 years, this song still gives me the chills, especially the live version!

24. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Randy Travis
    Three Wooden Crosses

NudieSuitNezHead and RSteven like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis Presley trying to bring all sides of his country together with his majestic take on American Trilogy, during his live worldwide satellite broadcast of Aloha From Hawaii in 1973. It never fails to give me chills.

changeling69, limoges and 80steen like this.